Join Early Retirement Today

BUM goes to M.I.T.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BUM goes to M.I.T.

I enjoy learning, but on my own terms and at my own pace. That why I disliked most aspects of formal education. Then along comes OCW.

At this stage of my ER life I could care less about diplomas, certificates, credits, etc. I just want to learn about things that interest me without getting in the car and driving someplace every Tu/Th 7:15 - 9:22 for a few hundred bucks being bored stiff :P

So now I'm taking Architecture. I get everything I need FOR FREE even a discussion group (my nickname will be Art Vandalay).

Additionally, anyone going back to work (not me!) can tell a prospective employer about completed studies relevent to the job. You don't need a degree in Spanish to demonstrate profiency. Habla? Check it out!

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: BUM goes to M.I.T.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

BUM thanks. This is great. As I mature, I have less tolerance and patience for the typical classroom setting. Don't know if I have time for these now, but I love knowing they are available.

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM

So now I'm taking Architecture. I get everything I need FOR FREE even a discussion group (my nickname will be Art Vandalay).
BUM: I read about this on Slashdot and looked at a physics course. The impression I got was that this included the materials from the class (less any needed textbooks) but no structure (i.e. you don't "take" it on any sort of schedule with other students). I didn't see anything about a discussion group. Did I just miss where that was mentioned or do they only exist for certain courses?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff

I didn't see anything about a discussion group. Did I just miss where that was mentioned or do they only exist for certain courses?
I checked the offerings from the Physics Dept. and lots of the more popular courses support discussion groups, e.g. PHY I, II.

Corollary: Any course that downloads in less than 5 seconds probably doesn't have a discussion group

Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
I have less tolerance and patience for the typical classroom setting.
One of my military jobs was sitting in the back of a classroom evaluating the technique of instructors.

I can't turn it off, and it's way too distracting if I'm listening to a less-than-skilled instructor.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote