BUM goes to M.I.T.

BUM

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I enjoy learning, but on my own terms and at my own pace. That why I disliked most aspects of formal education. Then along comes OCW.

At this stage of my ER life I could care less about diplomas, certificates, credits, etc. I just want to learn about things that interest me without getting in the car and driving someplace every Tu/Th 7:15 - 9:22 for a few hundred bucks being bored stiff :p

So now I'm taking Architecture. I get everything I need FOR FREE even a discussion group (my nickname will be Art Vandalay).

Additionally, anyone going back to work (not me!) can tell a prospective employer about completed studies relevent to the job. You don't need a degree in Spanish to demonstrate profiency. Habla? Check it out!

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

BUM thanks. This is great. As I mature, I have less tolerance and patience for the typical classroom setting. Don't know if I have time for these now, but I love knowing they are available.

BUM said:
So now I'm taking Architecture. I get everything I need FOR FREE even a discussion group (my nickname will be Art Vandalay).
BUM: I read about this on Slashdot and looked at a physics course. The impression I got was that this included the materials from the class (less any needed textbooks) but no structure (i.e. you don't "take" it on any sort of schedule with other students). I didn't see anything about a discussion group. Did I just miss where that was mentioned or do they only exist for certain courses?

donheff said:
I didn't see anything about a discussion group. Did I just miss where that was mentioned or do they only exist for certain courses?

I checked the offerings from the Physics Dept. and lots of the more popular courses support discussion groups, e.g. PHY I, II.

Corollary: Any course that downloads in less than 5 seconds probably doesn't have a discussion group :D

Sandy said:
I have less tolerance and patience for the typical classroom setting.
One of my military jobs was sitting in the back of a classroom evaluating the technique of instructors.

I can't turn it off, and it's way too distracting if I'm listening to a less-than-skilled instructor.

Back
Top Bottom