Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #61
Administrator

Good thread and something we've thought about a lot. Fortunately I'm not an A-type personality, although at work I am never without plenty to do and am always looking to improve the way things are done to make them more efficient.

DW has been trying out this retirement thing very successfully for the last few years although she is back to working 2 days a week on contract with her old company after we returned here 2 years ago from Texas.

We plan on living in different parts of this country and other countries (months at a time) but maintain a base that we come back to. (we've already downsized to a 1400' apartment that we can 'lock and leave').

We plan on expanding our exercise activities throughout the week - gym, exercise classes, tennis, cycling etc - all stuff that we enjoy doing now and have been doing for years.

I plan to get back to being a soccer referee, get my FIFA badges again etc. I love soccer and used to enjoy being a ref but gave it up 10 years ago because it was just too much on top of work, but both my kids were ref's from age 14 to 18 so it provided a great bonding environment.

... and I'm confident that I can learn to take life more slowly, eat like the French and others do ( slowly, hanging out, and enjoying their meals )
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2009, 05:36 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
I'm into the 6th 3rd year of retirement and I like it more and more.

I go to the gym golf course every day. I nap every day. I do a little internet surfing every day. Ditto on reading. Chores when necessary.

I cannot imagine a supervisor telling me he/she needed some project ASAP.

Two glasses of red wine bottles of med's with dinner, no earlier than 6 p.m.
Life is not empty.
Life is good.
There, now that sums up my retirement.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:10 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
There, now that sums up my retirement.
Scratch golf and add whatever my wife says, cycling and strumming my guitar to sum up my retirement. Blissful way of marking time.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
... and I'm confident that I can learn to take life more slowly, eat like the French and others do ( slowly, hanging out, and enjoying their meals )
I've noticed this about the French. It's a skill many Americans sadly lack myself included. DH and I need a trip to France or Italy in the worst way.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
However, the author of this article says that she planned as I have but still found retirement to be unrewarding and disappointing for her.
Well, I read the article, and I don't agree with everthing she wrote, and I'll go into that in another post. However, my first reaction is: She "found retirement to be unrewarding and disappoint for her" but she is not you.

We can't really know what all of her expectations were.
ladypatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I've noticed this about the French. It's a skill many Americans sadly lack myself included. DH and I need a trip to France or Italy in the worst way.
Last year we had a week in a little place close to Pamplona followed by a week in a little place close to Biarritz, and the Spanish in the Pamplona area seemed to pretty laid back and took lots of time over their meals as well. Not sure if this is the case in other parts of Spain). About 3 years ago I was in Italy on business in Scarlino and found myself on the last night in a little village close by on the Tuscany coast called Portiglioni. I strolled down the main street and found a restaurant and enjoyed a meal lasting a LONG time but when I left there were still plenty folks eating who had been there when I arrived.

Definitely a skill DW and I plan to work on.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Last year we had a week in a little place close to Pamplona followed by a week in a little place close to Biarritz, and the Spanish in the Pamplona area seemed to pretty laid back and took lots of time over their meals as well. Not sure if this is the case in other parts of Spain). About 3 years ago I was in Italy on business in Scarlino and found myself on the last night in a little village close by on the Tuscany coast called Portiglioni. I strolled down the main street and found a restaurant and enjoyed a meal lasting a LONG time but when I left there were still plenty folks eating who had been there when I arrived.

Definitely a skill DW and I plan to work on.
You´ve been in one of the best places to eat in Spain. That area is also considered to have a very good standard of living in the sense of knowing how to enjoy the good life.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I've read the article a second time, after reading everyone's responses, and I agree with the cynics. The woman sounds like she's peddling the outline for a book she wants to write or drumming up business for her "retirement coaching" business. Retirement grieving process? Horseshit.

I don't think the writer ever really thought about retirement, except that she wouldn't be working, or planned for retirement, except in the financial sense. What were her expectations? What did she think she was going to do for the rest of her life? She mentioned a few times the exciting things she was planning to do, but apparently she never did them. We don't really know what she was doing, except the angry outbursts and "silent sobbing" (I'm still trying to figure that one out...when I sob it's rather noisy). Apparently she still needed the structure, social contact, and self-importance that her work provided.

I work 20 hours a week during the school year (September-May), and even though I enjoy my work (I teach preschool), I'm looking forward to full-time retirement. During those three months during the summer, while I'm not working, I'm happier than I am during the school year. For the past few years, at the end of each summer, it's harder for me to face the new school year.

I don't need to be busy all the time, and I don't want to be busy all the time. What I do want is the freedom to do something just because I want to, not because I have to. Most importantly, I think, is that my identity, my self-worth, is NOT dependent on my work. The woman who wrote the article apparently had a lot of her self, her life and her identity tied up in her work - much more than she realized, perhaps.

Everyone else has said much the same thing, I guess. The article irritated me, and I need to throw my ten cents in.
ladypatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #69

Ah, perhaps a few days of dealing with an overbearing, condescending boss will fix her craving for "work" work. However, I'd trade complete boredom with self-directed, rewarding work that also pays well. Except for being a stripper, however, I can't think of any other job that qualifies.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #70

Ive never been happier doing nothen.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #71

PLEASE, Tell me you're kidding!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:41 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Ah, perhaps a few days of dealing with an overbearing, condescending boss will fix her craving for "work" work. However, I'd trade complete boredom with self-directed, rewarding work that also pays well. Except for being a stripper, however, I can't think of any other job that qualifies.
Never found a job that had all those 3 qualities.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
PLEASE, Tell me you're kidding!
There is a lot to be said for "il dolce fare niente"
Old 06-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

At 16th yr of ER - about ready to graduate into genuine ole phartness - with a Medicare card - memory/hindsight gets a tad hazy but:

I went through a 'don't ask don't tell kind of phase' which I labeled unemployed but not looking out of town real hard/house SO/etc. Now I did slip in a year and worked as a jobshopper.

My 'official' coming out was when my age 55 pension check arrived.

I have achieved the Zen like - no bucket list/to do's/etc. I can croak tomorrow or live forever.

With several years hindsight - it is amazing how busy - doing nothing in particular can get.

heh heh heh - There was a mental transition but it dims with time - musta been no big deal.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Yeah, but I think you don't get to drink much beer if you want to keep a stripper body going for tips. So that's pretty much out as far as I'm concerned.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Yeah, but I think you don't get to drink much beer if you want to keep a stripper body going for tips. So that's pretty much out as far as I'm concerned.
I dunno... I've seen strippers do amazing things with those beer bottles... he may want to keep all career options open!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I dunno... I've seen strippers do amazing things with those beer bottles... he may want to keep all career options open!
Ahem, I don't think that qualifies as DRINKING the beer, Nords. And just where have you been hanging out...do we need to talk to your boss wife?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And just where have you been hanging out...do we need to talk to your boss wife?
We had a table for two... join the Navy, see the world...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #79

I second Nords' observations - join the military, see the world - a lot more than you bargain for many times......:-)

I have an observation - I have been semi-retired and am now going back to work for a bit - was mentally not happy with the way I allocated my time while semi-retired, but now with the work I am even more unhappy with the way my time is allocated.....doing what I want to do when I want to is definitely much more appealing - now getting rid of the "I really should accomplish more with this time now that I can what I want when I want it" monkey is the other issue - but I've decided I like that issue over the Same Old $hit people in the office and what they think, compete, do, think, say, arghhhhhhhh! It doesn't matter wherever you are, the same cast of characters doing the same things...amazign! Tasting freedom and then going back to work is just plain mean!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #80

Quote:
Ahem, I don't think that qualifies as DRINKING the beer, Nords. And just where have you been hanging out...do we need to talk to your boss wife?

I'm talking about being a stripper in the US, not Thailand.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote