Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just wanted to update my prior response to this tread. Since DH broke his arm, there is NO WAY I could ever imagine missing w*ork. Thank God I'm here to take care of him, our house and about a ba-gillion other things. If I was still working, life would suck for DH and I big time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Since DH broke his arm, there is NO WAY I could ever imagine missing w*ork. Thank God I'm here to take care of him, our house and about a ba-gillion other things. If I was still working, life would suck for DH and I big time.
Having a spouse/SO at home is a definite plus.

During our marriage, I w*rked 22 years and have taken care of DH for almost 32 years. He retired three months ago. It's time for DH to take care of bbbamI. We'll see how that goes.....
Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I'm talking about being a stripper in the US, not Thailand.
Why, me too-- everywhere-- Norfolk, San Diego, San Francisco, Port LiquorLauderdale, Charleston, New London, Bangor/Bremerton/Everett, Olongapo, Bangkok, Chinhae, Yokosuka, Tokyo, and even Guam!

The reason the list isn't longer is because my submarine liberty ports generally sucked...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:00 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm currently reading Chained to the Desk and it's truly eye-opening. There are quite a few posters in this thread (and the orignial writer of the article) that probably should give it a read. What is referred to by most here as type A personality, Robinson calls work-aholics. In other words, addicted to work - and not necessarily gainful employment. He calls it the best dressed addiction. The basic inability to be still and not doing something productive - volunteering, contract work, "projects" (a workaholic would not view reading on the sun deck as productive). There is an anxiety some people feel when they're not scheduled every minute. This is probably why they fail at slowing down, for not addressing this compulsive need they have to fill their lives with "doing".
Gillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeps View Post
I'm currently reading Chained to the Desk and it's truly eye-opening. There are quite a few posters in this thread (and the orignial writer of the article) that probably should give it a read. What is referred to by most here as type A personality, Robinson calls work-aholics. In other words, addicted to work - and not necessarily gainful employment. He calls it the best dressed addiction. The basic inability to be still and not doing something productive - volunteering, contract work, "projects" (a workaholic would not view reading on the sun deck as productive). There is an anxiety some people feel when they're not scheduled every minute. This is probably why they fail at slowing down, for not addressing this compulsive need they have to fill their lives with "doing".
Good - - this definitely sounds like something that will not be a problem for me, in that case! I have no problem being still and not doing something productive. If anyone here is truly having trouble successfully goofing off, I can tell you that having a Wii hooked up to a big plasma TV helps tremendously in that endeavor.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
If anyone here is truly having trouble successfully goofing off, I can tell you that having a Wii hooked up to a big plasma TV helps tremendously in that endeavor.
No problem goofing off but I have been considering a Wii for our weekend place. I don't like shooters or RPGs but have often wondered whether I might enjoy some of the sports games. Someone suggested getting a PS2 with an external HD crammed with videos instead - decisions, decisions.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #87
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeps View Post
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits."
Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You are overdoing it. Such actions could harm you.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:40 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
That´s me too.
BTW what was the name of the 60s rock band who played the song Sittin¨And Thinkin¨? Could it have been Small Faces?
Old 06-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
That´s me too.
BTW what was the name of the 60s rock band who played the song Sittin¨And Thinkin¨? Could it have been Small Faces?
Spencer Davis Group perhaps? "Sittin' and Thinkin'" comes in at about 3:05

Old 06-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Spencer Davis Group perhaps? "Sittin' and Thinkin'" comes in at about 3:05

I am sure you are right. Ah, those were the days,...Yes they were!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Why does retirement have to wonderful & fulfilling ? My work for forty years was sometimes fulfilling sometimes boring and sometimes just plain awful . Retirement is just another phase of life sometimes great , sometimes boring but luckily it has not been just plain awful.
Exactly! I totally agree. Also, I would think a type A person would not like to totally retire. A person who needs to be always busy to alleviate that anxiety should probably find some part time work or volunteer job that would fulfill the need to be recognized.

Those of us who are content to be alone, to pursue activites that require no outside approval are ideally suited to retire. Introverts especially! Aren't we lucky! The only time in our lives that introverts have an advantage is in retirement.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Exactly! I totally agree. Also, I would think a type A person would not like to totally retire. A person who needs to be always busy to alleviate that anxiety should probably find some part time work or volunteer job that would fulfill the need to be recognized.

Those of us who are content to be alone, to pursue activites that require no outside approval are ideally suited to retire. Introverts especially! Aren't we lucky! The only time in our lives that introverts have an advantage is in retirement.
Amen to that! It is totally exhausting to watch a confirmed type A going about their "thing". I know am biased but it seems to me that all that busywork is simply a reflection of their difficulty in making friends with their own selves.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Amen to that! It is totally exhausting to watch a confirmed type A going about their "thing". I know am biased but it seems to me that all that busywork is simply a reflection of their difficulty in making friends with their own selves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post

Interesting takes on Type A behavior.
I confess to being a Type A- after 2 years of FIRE.
I have always been intrigued by the introvert personality type. I have many good friends who are introverts. We get along just fine. I've corrupted 1 or 2 along the way.

As an alternative, the busy-ness you observe could be a restless mind in motion and can be the reason for activity and accomplishment.
You are right on the mark - recognition is indeed a big part of what I do in the volunteer arena. It is more self-recognition than back-patting from others. And it is fun!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:10 AM   #95

I've always been a type A worker, but I have to say that Rustic23 stated my thoughts totally. Took about 3 years to get into this doing nothing phase, but I learned well...maybe too well.
My main creative outlet now seems to be learning to make food I always loved but never made before, and that's been alot of fun (tabouleh made with homegrown parsley and mint, stuffed pork loin, pesto sauce, etc.). Not hard stuff, but just things I never took the time to create before.
At this point, tho, I still plan to get into some moneymaking effort when I am thru eldercaring--so I consider this 5 years and counting phase my retirement now.
But we'll see...we'll see...I may just keep this as a lifestyle. Who knows at this point? I'm just cruising along right now...and enjoying it alot at this stage.