Join Early Retirement Today

Buying a belt shouldn't be this difficult
Old 10-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Buying a belt shouldn't be this difficult

So I'm doing disaster recovery work, and I don't have a good work belt. I make the mistake of buying something cheap since it might get damaged. Yeah, it gets "self damaged." Cheap.

First big trip -- middle of nowhere, under evacuation, no stores open -- the belt breaks. Well crap, there goes the tool pocket and hammer loop, let alone my pants are falling at my ankles. Of course, the volunteer community comes to my rescue and someone miraculously brought an extra which gets me through the trip.

So now I need to buy a real, quality belt. But how? Frankly, Amazon is "The Amazon" for buying a belt. People are reporting a lot of suspected fakes, and their pictures are proving it. Descriptive text for the product is full of egregious misspellings to the point of embarrassment.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a good, quality work belt? One that is genuine and not a fake? What's your favorite? I'm looking for something that you can hang some weight on, like a work belt or a tactical. And have you run into the counterfeit problem in this product area?

Finally, I feel like I need to go to a brick and mortar store. Should I go to some place like Cabela's? Will there be less chance of fakery there?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about a Murdoch's, Duluth Trading, or similar? I would think Duluth would be a good place to start.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

Carhartt

https://www.carhartt.com/category/ca...essories-belts

Might also try a shoe repair shop. If they have a real craftsman there, he could make you exactly what you want.

You could try police supply stores. Duluth Trading also sells belts.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
How about a Murdoch's, Duluth Trading, or similar? I would think Duluth would be a good place to start.
Hmmm. Didn't think of Duluth. That's a good suggestion. They have a brick and mortar close by. I'll have to give a visit.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #5

Duluth Trading.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #6

My last two work belts have been Ariat. About $35 for the last one 7 or 8 years ago and it is still going strong. It is worn about every day. Purchased at Sheplers.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

just got one at a bike shop (motorcycle). pretty sturdy and real leather
drb391 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm very happy with the Daltech Force Bull Hide Leather Belt I purchased from Amazon two years ago. $43 so not what I would call cheap for a belt. I've worn it just about every day for the past two years with a full size firearm on one side, a loaded handgun magazine and a knife on the other side. The belt is just as good now as the day I received it.
firemediceric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #9

Go to any Army Navy store and get a garrison belt.
Just_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:17 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
So I'm doing disaster recovery work, and I don't have a good work belt. I make the mistake of buying something cheap since it might get damaged. Yeah, it gets "self damaged." Cheap.

First big trip -- middle of nowhere, under evacuation, no stores open -- the belt breaks. Well crap, there goes the tool pocket and hammer loop, let alone my pants are falling at my ankles. Of course, the volunteer community comes to my rescue and someone miraculously brought an extra which gets me through the trip.

So now I need to buy a real, quality belt. But how? Frankly, Amazon is "The Amazon" for buying a belt. People are reporting a lot of suspected fakes, and their pictures are proving it. Descriptive text for the product is full of egregious misspellings to the point of embarrassment.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a good, quality work belt? One that is genuine and not a fake? What's your favorite? I'm looking for something that you can hang some weight on, like a work belt or a tactical. And have you run into the counterfeit problem in this product area?

Finally, I feel like I need to go to a brick and mortar store. Should I go to some place like Cabela's? Will there be less chance of fakery there?

I go to military surplus. In fact I have bought most of my practical clothes in surplus stores since I was about 12.

Ha
Old 10-09-2019, 04:24 AM   #11

I bought a belt around 1968 at a leather shop in St Augustine, Fl. I was told it was Latigo leather and would last a long time. He was right. I wore it for years and still have it. It is just as sturdy and nice as it was 50 years ago. Unfortunately my waist is a bit larger otherwise I would still be wearing it.

So find a leather shop or shoe repair shop in your area and ask about making a belt for you in Latigo leather.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:05 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was a first responder most of my gear that I couldn't find locally I ordered from Galls, including a webbed nylon duty belt that held up fine even with a 4 D-cell Maglite hanging from it. Most of my coworkers (and later on, fellow volunteers) ordered from them. I highly recommend them.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
Confused about dryer sheets

I have always liked the web belts from https://www.511tactical.com/. I prefer the 1.5 inch TDU belt. I think it comes in a 2 inch size too. Sometimes I wish they made a 1.0 inch version but they don't. They recently have redesigned the belts and the buckle but the new design seems to work as well as the older version did. I used to be able to buy them as cheaply online as in a store like the old Gander Mountain because shipping was free. But now shipping isn't free until your order is something like $35 or more. Nonetheless, it is still very reasonably priced compared to comparable belts.
Tranquility Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #14

I always buy belts from a local Amish leather craftsman. they will last forever.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Best belt I've ever owned came from The Beltman.

12 years of daily use and still like new.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #16

Lots of really, really good ideas and resources you all provided. Thank you. This is what I was looking for.

Amazon is turning into Crapazon for a lot of consumer items.

I don't mind paying a bit more to get something real that will last. Really good ideas here.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
When I was a first responder most of my gear that I couldn't find locally I ordered from Galls, including a webbed nylon duty belt that held up fine even with a 4 D-cell Maglite hanging from it. Most of my coworkers (and later on, fellow volunteers) ordered from them. I highly recommend them.

Oh, I think this is an even nicer version of the one I used. Blow that dough!
Old 10-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #18

Ditto on the Amish suggestion.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
I'm not a gun guy or hunter. Nothing against either!

It is just a bit ironic I'm salivating over getting a belt that can hold all my crap, even if it isn't a gun, flashlight, taser, stick, etc. Also appreciate a belt that holds in a "struggle," although my struggles tend to be self imposed.

Anyway, I have a better appreciation for LEOs after looking at some of this gear. To us uninitiated, we never think about all the stuff they have to carry around.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Anyway, I have a better appreciation for LEOs after looking at some of this gear. To us uninitiated, we never think about all the stuff they have to carry around.
Absolutely!
I have occasionally chatted with a cop on duty at various events and asked what their belt equipment weighed. They usually said something on the order of 30 pounds or more. Just imagine the extra stress that puts on things like knees and ankles.

Of course, many soldiers have much more equipment to carry.