Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #21
I think your decision to rent is very smart. Here are some advantages to renting when you first land there:

1) You will have a place to "land" right away;

2) You won't be under pressure to buy quickly. Once you decide you are ready to buy, you will probably make a better deal on your new home since you won't be in such a hurry;

3) If your new home needs painting, recarpeting, or renovations, you won't have to live in the middle of all that. You can live in the apartment until your home is move-in ready.

Some people say that they don't want to move twice, but a local mover is usually not that expensive compared to one for interstate moves.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Real estate taxes, from what I can gather on the houses I have looked at on are about 9 X higher than we pay here.
This would bother me. I'll bet real estate prices are 3 or 4 times what the same house would cost in AK, too. We moved from the NYC suburbs to central VA and our RE taxes are about 1 / 12 what ours in NY would be today, on a house of comparable size with much more property.

I'd rather be governed by the first one hundred names in the telephone book than the Harvard faculty - William F. Buckley
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Yes, renting is now definitely the plan.....still unsure why we couldn't think of that ourselves. It is such a simple, smart idea.

Since DH is retiring a year ahead of me, he is in charge of lining up all this moving/finding an apartment, etc. That may work out quite nicely.

We have lots of retirement scenarios. We talked about buying a corner pub and living upstairs...but we wisened up about that one. Maybe we were drinking beer when that seemed like such a fun idea.

I can see Massaschusetts working, but renting a year first to be sure. Maine sounds good to me, too, but DH doesn't like that idea nearly as much as Mass.

I want a view (mountains, forest, lake, something instead of other houses), low humidity and fewer hot days, things to do, places to see in proximity....and Hot Springs Village is still on the table. It seems like a fun place...that part of the state is beautiful.

Truly, i would love to try out half a dozen places for 6 months each and then decide. But, that might not be too practical. DH talks often of living on a houseboat - just so many possibilities that all sound like fun. So many places I have always thought I would love to live someday. But, it always comes back to being fair to DH. He did move to Arkansas with me - many, many spouses would not have done that. I want to play fair.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
You are funny, I think a lot of people dream of those off-the-wall options that sound good over a beer, but in reality are a nightmare. I bought a cabin in the mountains, but that got stale quick. I sold it before I retired. I also traveled in a trailer for a while - but that got old too.

You talk like you sold your sole to the devil when DH agreed to move to AK. That was nice of him, but I don't see how that obligates you to live a miserable life in retirement. Surely you can find a place you can both agree on.

One option is to rent a trailer for a few months and just travel around the US - just with the idea of seeing if you can find an area that you both like. Lots of places in the Southwest where you can live in the foothills near the mountains ..something like Sedona AZ jumps to mind. But Arizona is huge, no mosquitoes, and you can choose your terrain and your climate.

I really liked South Carolina too. Has a nice friendly feel it, and the weather is generally pretty good. Many hidden places in Northern California where you can get the same combination of mountains, good weather, close to metro areas, etc.

In a rented Winnebago you can see a whole lot and travel in comfort. Plus, you can get a feel for the area because RV travel forces you to stop, get out, and meet the people. Not the same as a car/ hotel trip.
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #25
Hobo, the rented trailer/RV option for some month would make lots of sense to me.
No big move or months long obligations from the beginning, just a long vacation to explore details. Then a rental, to finetune. Then a purchse, if this is still interesting.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #26
If you are set on living in the eastern part of the state, then so be it, but if not, don't rule out the western part of Massachusetts - its actually a whole lot more like vermont (rural) than the other part of the state. If you were going to be looking for a career, the eastern part of the state makes sense, but the wide open spaces of the western part of the state, if you like that type of thing. In fact, western mass maybe a lot more like the topsfield area was 30 years ago.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
Just my 2 cents worth....
We had planned for 15 years on moving back north to where I grew up. Bought the house, had it all "locked and loaded" to move up there when I retired....When the time came to move, we realized that the idea of moving back north was more exciting then the reality was turnng out to be. Fortunately we (DW) found a great place not too far from where we currently lived, and we are happy as clams.
Now we just have to sell our place in Virginia.......
I strongly agree with the idea of renting - you get a much better feel for a place than you do when you're just visiting.

EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote