Buying a small business in ER?

I do have a current small side home-based business I run. It is mostly for tax benefits and is not more than approx $3K/year net. It is very related to my hobby (old cars and hot rods) and so it gives me a chance to do something that is fun and does not seem the same as work to me. It does take time, and I plan to keep doing it in retirement. Maybe do more work to expand it some, once I have additional time.

If OP wants to do work, just stick with consulting/teaching as part-time, and use your home as home office for some tax benefits. Do not buy a business unlss you want to stop being retired and go back to full time working.

I have an internet based business that DW and I have fun working on together. We each spend about 8 hours a week on it.

Having ERed from a successful software services business that I founded and then sold in 2011, I would caution you to carefully consider any business that requires a large investment upfront or that requires you to keep regular business hours. Either one could put a cramp in your ER lifestyle.

Cool if you start a business selling Bon Bons out in the woods where I ride my motorcycle that would be great!

If you start that business please let me know. Bon bons are one of the things I miss about working. Used to stock up big time when ever I was in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom