Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Buying a small business in ER?
Old 03-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Buying a small business in ER?

I ER'ed last year at 51. Doing some part-time teaching and consulting in ER as planned but wanting to be more engaged. From time to time, SO and I think about buying a small business to keep us occupied and bring in some extra income. Obviously, we'd want something that does not require 24/7 attention 365 days a year. Wondering whether anyone on the board (a) has bought a small biz in ER and (b) would recommend it or not.
TimSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some friends and family keep bringing up small business ideas to me now that I am retired, telling me "that'll give you something to do" or similar. I continually tell them that they need to look up the definition of retired. To me it means not working and IMO running a small business is work. Sorry I can't be of any help to you.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Some friends and family keep bringing up small business ideas to me now that I am retired, telling me "that'll give you something to do" or similar. I continually tell them that they need to look up the definition of retired. To me it means not working and IMO running a small business is work. Sorry I can't be of any help to you.
+1

"Small" business.

The size of the business bears no correlation to the amount of work required. Many small businesses are nothing more than a legal form of self-imposed slavery.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To me, teaching, consulting, and running businesses is contradictory to "being retired". But my definition of retirement might be inaccurate.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
To me, teaching, consulting, and running businesses is contradictory to "being retired".
That's a career change, not retirement.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #6

TimSF - Are you nuts? Stay away from it unless you will be doing something you know very well and enjoy (as a hobby). Otherwise, it becomes another source of income, i.e, job. Running a small business, if you have never ran one, can be pretty stressful, time consuming, and unprofitable.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Not everyone in ER wants to sit around the sofa, eating bon-bons, and watching Golden Girls reruns all day -- though there is nothing wrong with that ... The point of ER is to do what you want, to choose your life consciously - not because some employer or client is demanding it. I want to teach part-time because I like it. My consulting so far is all pro bono and keeps me alert and uptodate. I don't really want to a buy a business for the reasons mentioned/implied here but my SO, who is considerably younger, is enamored of the idea. Believe me, I am considerably and appropriately cautious about the idea. Wondering if anyone on the forum had a positive example to share.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSF View Post
Not everyone in ER wants to sit around the sofa, eating bon-bons, and watching Golden Girls reruns all day...
Really? You think that's what those of us who don't want to "teach, consult or own a small business" do all day?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I prefer Designing Women over Golden Girls.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #10

Cool if you start a business selling Bon Bons out in the woods where I ride my motorcycle that would be great!
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...... I don't really want to a buy a business for the reasons mentioned/implied here but my SO, who is considerably younger, is enamored of the idea..........
So, put the SO to work in a business. And pass the bon-bons.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Figure of speech only, to suggest that there are many varied visions of what ER can be.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not everyone in ER wants to sit around the sofa, eating bon-bons, and watching Golden Girls reruns all day -- though there is nothing wrong with that ... The point of ER is to do what you want, to choose your life consciously - not because some employer or client is demanding it. I want to teach part-time because I like it. My consulting so far is all pro bono and keeps me alert and uptodate. I don't really want to a buy a business for the reasons mentioned/implied here but my SO, who is considerably younger, is enamored of the idea. Believe me, I am considerably and appropriately cautious about the idea. Wondering if anyone on the forum had a positive example to share.
I do a lot of pro bono work as well - or as I think of it - 'favors" for people I know and I can be helpful to - but it is scattered and I can dictate the schedule, timing, etc. for the most part so I don't consider it work.

Besides, it is amazing how thankful people are for free advice.

I just think running a small business would be more demanding on my time than I want. YMMV.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The small business owners I know fall into two groups:

Those who love having their own business and work a lot.

Those who dislike having their own business and work a lot.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Both my So & I run very small portable businesses from our home . They are more like lucrative hobbies. He has a small company that sells award plaques & I sell dresses to women in their thirties & forties on ebay . We can shut down the businesses and travel whenever we want and most of our work is done in our PJ's .We can close our businesses whenever we no longer need the stimulation. Some people travel , some people blog or write books or teach and some people do not want that stimulation. We all get to choose whatever suits us .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

DW and I were the latter. Money was good but it was lot of work. And you see ugly side of humanity when you deal with lot of people (employees & customers). 9 customers may be good but 1 can drive you nuts. Ditto for employees.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
Not everyone in ER wants to sit around the sofa, eating bon-bons, and watching Golden Girls reruns all day --
Really? You think that's what those of us who don't want to "teach, consult or own a small business" do all day?
+1 It seems to me that perhaps the problem is not that you need a job, so much as that you need to learn how to exercise your imagination so that you can think of something else to do that isn't so tedious as what you describe. Actually to me it seems awfully sad that you have no hobbies at all, no curiousity or driving desire to explore your dreams and interests during your new-found leisure time, or anything else that you want to do with all your time once you have reclaimed it. Instead, you want to exchange time for money.

If you regard the work of running a business as being your hobby, then that could be really great. But just to be sure, what I would do (YMMV) is to work at that business for five years without earning one cent or putting any money back in the business - - every earned cent should go to charity, like maybe to a library or homeless shelter. If you still love it at the end of five years, then you pass the test of loving this for itself and not because you are selling your time for money. And that could be great and very rewarding.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

You forgot the group that pours money in a small business, goes down in flames, and spends their retirement years paying off the debts. I know a couple like that. The wife wanted a small business which they bought in 2007 or early 2008.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
]

If you regard the work of running a business as being your hobby, then that could be really great. But just to be sure, what I would do (YMMV) is to work at that business for five years without earning one cent or putting any money back in the business - - every earned cent should go to charity, like maybe to a library or homeless shelter. If you still love it at the end of five years, then you pass the test of loving this for itself and not because you are selling your time for money. And that could be great and very rewarding.
My business passes your hobby standards since all the money goes to my grandsons education fund. Charity begins at home !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My business passes your hobby standards since all the money goes to my grandsons education fund. Charity begins at home !
I knew that. See, there you go! You really DO like your business and you have proved it to yourself.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote