Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The 2 best days of your life...the day you buy, the day you sell...
My boat was a money pit and I think about the $50 / night to park an RV (just raised in Cali) and the gas it will be guzzling...not for me. I'll take a Hotel or camping over that any day.

That's what I think of when someone says RV, boat, etc.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Anyone who knows beans about RVing knows there is no "good financial reason" to own a rolling residence. Outside full-timing and not owning/renting a sticks & bricks location, RVing is like almost every other true hobby - you have to pay to play.
It is super important to know how you're going to use an RV and why you want to do it. Answering those two questions will help direct you to the right vehicle for you.

Full-timing is exactly what we plan to do and while we have our sites on a very nice diesel pusher, it will cost half of our sticks and bricks house....and of course it will be purchased gently used so the first owner gets the first few years of depreciation hit.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Saw this ad - dang hippies! Might make some overhangs a bit dicey.

2 Story School Bus Conversion!!
OMG, that could only be Eugene.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Nuiloa, perhaps you have stated elsewhere why you are considering an RV (adventure, money savings on travel, "life-style", "full-time", etc.) If not, I do hope that you know yourself well enough to at least be able to answer that "why" question for yourself.

Have you experimented with the life style (rented or previously owned an RV? - again, perhaps you have already answered this elsewhere). If I ever considered RVing, I would have to spread-sheet it very carefully to see if it was affordable and sustainable.
All good and valid questions. I have been camping for 45 years - we used to spend every summer at a campground, from late June to September. I bought my first trailer 6 years ago and spend at least 6 weeks every summer at the beach. To me, that is "home". I'm never happier than when I'm camping.

I passed on the 2005 RV. My brother and his friend (a heavy-duty mechanic) had a look at it and told me it was garbage. However, they recommended an older model that was on the same lot. This thing was pristine and had all the bells and whistles, including a satellite dish. I had a full mechanical inspection done and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the thing. It's a 1998 Winnebago Chieftain - 34 feet.

Driving it was something of an adventure, but I'm ready to go next June when I finally quit w*rk.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Forgot to mention.... I paid under $30K for the unit, which was about $30K less than I had budgeted. I figure that extra $30K will pay for a lot of gas and repairs.

My pension will give me about $3K net every month and I have no debts. Although I won't be living high off the hog, I think full-timing will work out just fine.

Thanks all for caring
Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
My pension will give me about $3K net every month and I have no debts. Although I won't be living high off the hog, I think full-timing will work out just fine.
From what I've seen on a number of RV discussion boards, you should be able to live very comfortably on that income - provided you have the health insurance nut covered.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
From what I've seen on a number of RV discussion boards, you should be able to live very comfortably on that income - provided you have the health insurance nut covered.

Yup - I live in Canada. Although I'll have to pay for coverage, it will be about $75 a month for medical, hospital care, prescriptions, eyes and dental. And Pharmacare kicks in after I've spent $1,000.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yup - I live in Canada. Although I'll have to pay for coverage, it will be about $75 a month for medical, hospital care, prescriptions, eyes and dental. And Pharmacare kicks in after I've spent $1,000.
IOW, you'd have to be loonie not to have it made!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL
Old 09-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Nuiloa,

Congratulations on the new to you RV. Despite all the negative costs associated with ownership I still enjoy mine. We are right now in Park City, UT for a few days followed by Salt Lake City for a few days to see family and then back home for a month. Then off to California for a week.

If I had my druthers, I would be full time and not have a stick house. However, DW can't so that. We tried for 5 months and she got so "house" sick she could not wait to get back to the stick house. I would have been very happy to not have seen it again for 5-10 years. We know a lot of people living full time and I envy them. Maybe in a few more years when we downsize again we can try it again for awhile.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Nuiloa,

If I had my druthers, I would be full time and not have a stick house. However, DW can't so that. We tried for 5 months and she got so "house" sick she could not wait to get back to the stick house. I would have been very happy to not have seen it again for 5-10 years. We know a lot of people living full time and I envy them. Maybe in a few more years when we downsize again we can try it again for awhile.
I never seem to get home sick. Where I am is where I am. I'm hanging onto the condo for the future though. It's paid in full and the strata fees are reasonable. When I get too old to drive, at least I'll have a roof over my head - plus I figure it'll pay for a nursing home someday
Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #32

So, Nuiloa where will you travel with your new rig?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
So, Nuiloa where will you travel with your new rig?
Well, the plan right now is to drive to Ontario by way of the USA, beginning next June.

My brother, who has an end-stage lung disease, is hoping to be well enough to join me. He has always wanted to travel in an RV, and he has always wanted to see Mt. Rushmore. So, we're going to hit the road and go where the wind takes us.

I also want to do some historical touring - I find US history fascinating.

I'll be wintering in the Southern US or Mexico.

Or else, if I find I hate driving, I'll sell the rig and move to the Cook Islands
Old 09-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Or else, if I find I hate driving, I'll sell the rig and move to the Cook Islands
Small thread hijack: Have you been to the Cook Islands? I have not, but my best buddy here in Paradise has and he believes it is BETTER than Hawaii. He sited lower costs, less hassles, virtually no crime (except an occasional alcohol induced incident), even friendlier people and more perfect weather. My only major concern would be that I find the islands (other than Oahu) too laid back for my tastes. Still, I have put a visit to the Cook Islands on my bucket list. Gotta see for myself a more perfect place than Paradise.

Returning you know to our thread on used RVs. So glad you found what you are looking for. Best of adventures to you and may the wind always be at your back (saves fuel)

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Small thread hijack: Have you been to the Cook Islands? I have not, but my best buddy here in Paradise has and he believes it is BETTER than Hawaii. He sited lower costs, less hassles, virtually no crime (except an occasional alcohol induced incident), even friendlier people and more perfect weather. My only major concern would be that I find the islands (other than Oahu) too laid back for my tastes. Still, I have put a visit to the Cook Islands on my bucket list. Gotta see for myself a more perfect place than Paradise.

Returning you know to our thread on used RVs. So glad you found what you are looking for. Best of adventures to you and may the wind always be at your back (saves fuel)

Aloha,

I've been to the Cooks (Rarotonga) 3 times, Tahiti 4 times and Hawaii at least 15 to 20 times (Oahu and once to Maui). Although I love Hawaii, I would agree with your friend that Raro is heaven on earth. The weather is outstanding, the water is pristine (and warm) and the people are very friendly. It is also very, very clean. Because it's so remote, they haven't been as spoiled by tourism as many other places, although I've noticed a difference even in the past decade. The pace of life is slow to the point of catatonia. There is very little crime, although even that has changed. You now have to lock your doors because young people have started stealing. TV comes on at 5 p.m. and ends at midnight and there are only a couple of channels. Most people have DVD players now, which I think has helped to change things - kids are fatter, aren't interested in learning the old traditions, aren't interested in learning Maori or learning the dances. People are no longer wearing just sarongs and flowers but are going for shorts and t-shirts. It's sad to see a culture dying.

It is very laid back and there is absolutely NOTHING to do, nowhere to go, nothing to see except jungle and ocean. There's only 1 road and no traffic lights. The NZ dollar is worth only about $.75 Cdn/US, but costs are high for both staples and the cost of gas is nuts (about $10/gallon).

I would very happily live there the rest of my life
Old 10-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Well, the plan right now is to drive to Ontario by way of the USA, beginning next June.

My brother, who has an end-stage lung disease, is hoping to be well enough to join me. He has always wanted to travel in an RV, and he has always wanted to see Mt. Rushmore. So, we're going to hit the road and go where the wind takes us.

I also want to do some historical touring - I find US history fascinating.

I'll be wintering in the Southern US or Mexico.

Sounds like a good plan, but I am very sorry to hear of your brother's health.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote