Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Invariably, these discussions quickly reach a point of diminishing returns because they get stuck in a maze of personal preference, over-generalization and all that.
That's for sure! Choosing a retirement location is a very complex decision. There are so many factors to consider and I would imagine that each individual weights them differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Anyone without an attitude should be able to find a very nice living situation in the climate of their choice.
That is so true. And then for some retirees, climate is not the most important criterion in choosing a place to live. I would imagine that it is more likely to be so among those living in Florida and Hawaii than it is for some others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
When young, I wrote off Floriday based on my visits to family who retired there (WPB area) - swore I would never live there. Now i live there and enjoy it immensely. Tropical beauty, gorgeous winters and hot but tolerable summers with less traffic; beaches, parks, nature, whatever you want.

If someone thinks all of Texas, all of Florida, all of California - whatever - is not for them, fine. Don't live there. But I wouldn't write off any of the above depending on what was important to you.
But then, I would expect that you have written off all of Minnesota, all of Alaska, and all of North Dakota, haven't you? Other criteria than climate also have geographic aspects.

Another thing I have noticed is that sometimes it is easier to see the flaws and advantages of a location once living there, than by any other means. Renting first is not a bad idea.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Why would you move to Florida from Texas ? Same heat , higher real estate prices and high property taxes ?
Good point,heres a Google image search for Texas beaches,
texas beaches - Google Images
For this longtime Florida resident things are looking very similar.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Foibles...my state has a few...
Old 08-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
All states have them you just have pick one with foibles you can live with .
Old 08-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep...just like a SO....
Old 08-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I never really picked Florida my late husband did . He had always wanted to live in Florida so he picked the state and I picked the town . I really enjoy the winters and tolerate the summers . The property taxes are bizarre but I am paying the same amount of property taxes on a large waterfront home as I was paying on a small older split level in New Jersey . The good part about living in Florida is the sunshine . When I travel the first thing that hits me are the gray skies . It's hard to be depressed in sunny weather . The other nice thing about Florida is there is a push for seniors to stay active . Every where you go people are walking ,biking playing sports or swimming . It is not uncommon to see 70 & 80 year old in tennis togs . The bad part is football . I'm sorry but to me sitting in a stadium fanning yourself is not football weather so I leave the football games to my SO .
Old 08-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
It's hard to be depressed in sunny weather .
Maybe, as long as you are not having a drought like that in central Texas!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Good point,heres a Google image search for Texas beaches,
texas beaches - Google Images
For this longtime Florida resident things are looking very similar.
How can you compare Texas and Florida beaches? I dont consider it a real beach if there arent any real waves. For me personally, just the fact that Im laying on sand doesnt cut it.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #29

If you moved from New Jersey to Florida, Moemg, you must think you are in tax heaven with New Jersey having the highest tax base in the nation (or darn close to it).
The only Texas beach I know is Galveston. It's not all that at all. Can't hold a candle to Florida beaches, that's for sure.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Snow and high taxes...

Other than that, where I live is really beautiful, with plenty of fresh air, natural lakes and streams all over, reasonable weather (no deadly hurricanes or tornadoes or car-killing hailstorms or mass flooding, low humidity), nobody waylaying you for loose change at every turn in public, low crime, very friendly folks once they get over the down-stater thing , peace and quiet...all in all the epitome of the simple life.

I've always wanted to live in the NY Finger Lakes region, where spring arrives a little sooner and the snowstorms aren't quite so bad. If we don't completely move out of NY, this would be where I would choose to end up, near Ithaca for some cultural exposure from Cornell University.

I lived in FL one summer when I was younger. The abundance of creepy crawly critters got to me. I'm sensitive to smells, so the pervasive pesticide smell made me a bit ill.
dh2b was stationed at Homestead before it got wiped away by the hurricane. He said it was OK.
I would consider FL if I felt like the Yankee and especially the NYer thing wasn't going to be ringing in my ears at every step. That got really old even in just the 3 months I was there. YMMV
Old 08-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

For me, in the US only California within a mile or two of the beach from Santa Barbara south has perfect weather. But weather is not everything. If I had never left SoCal beaches towns I would still be there. But one makes a life, and then has ties, in my case my children and a grandchild here.

Washington has very nice summers, and winters that are not really long and horrible like the midwest or northeast. Compared to extreme heat and humidity in Florida, or bone chilling cold in Montana or Minnesota or upstate NY or New England, clouds I can handle. It did take some getting used to though. For the first ten years I was not yet committed.

What Moe says is true, sun makes it easier for people to be cheerful. Even during the brutal heat we had a few weeks ago people were cheerful, not turned inward on themselves like we tend to be in cloudy drizzly weather.

I think many natives here don't really do cheerful. But Seattle has so many immigrants from other states and countries that the dour local character has been modified by admixture.

Ha
Old 08-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Why would you move to Florida from Texas ? Same heat , higher real estate prices and high property taxes ?
well my current research tells me the real estate is the same there as where I live... taxes are nearly the same (a bit higher there), insurance a bit higher there... water much bluer there... beach sand much whiter there...

i live in an area the is an ecologically deprived area and a cultural desert...

time for a change... and I want to grow some citrus...
Old 08-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

now I know some are worried that this will become a thread of what's best about my retirement spot and what is worst about yours... but for those of us still searching for a sport to be it is discussions like these that may shed some light on the topic at hand...
i too was one that said I would never retire in Florida but things have changed and from my visits I like it there... I like SoCal much better but unfortunately my nest egg will not let me retire there unless I change the variable for longevity into single digits..

keep the discussion and comments flowing!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
well my current research tells me the real estate is the same there as where I live... taxes are nearly the same (a bit higher there), insurance a bit higher there... water much bluer there... beach sand much whiter there...

FWIW...Im also moving from Texas to retire in Florida. South Florida to be exact. Sure the cost of living is higher in South Florida than it is in Texas (Dallas). But theres a reason for that. Actually many many reasons. And they are reasons that Im willing to pay for.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm shocked you'd say things like that about Aggieland...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm shocked you'd say things like that about Aggieland...
Ahem.... You know, I saw the Bolshoi ballet there. Well, my daughter did since her school class got in free, and I saw the local TV footage of the entire performance since the tickets for grownups did not fit into my budget.

As for ecologically deprived, well, other than the successful multi-million dollar class action lawsuit due to arsenic in the drinking water (left by the old cotton gin), Aggieland is just dandy. Lots of field mice, brown recluse spiders, scorpions, and fire ants.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
As for ecologically deprived, well, other than the successful multi-million dollar class action lawsuit due to arsenic in the drinking water (left by the old cotton gin), Aggieland is just dandy. Lots of field mice, brown recluse spiders, scorpions, and fire ants.
W2R, I love it when you talk like that! If I weren't a married man I'd...uh...I'd be single.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #38

Quote:

My knowledge of Texas is limited to 2 years grad school and 10 or so trips since but it was no cultural wasteland. Ecologically, if you choose south florida you’ll be trading rattlesnakes for burmese pythons, longhorns for iguanas and deserts for swamps everglades. 'Course, there will be citrus.

Knowing what you want is the most important thing of all.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

keep the discussion and comments flowing!

Besides citrus growing ability what else are you looking for in a retirement destination ?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Besides citrus growing ability what else are you looking for in a retirement destination ?
Moemg... surely you jest... citrus is one really small, abeit, nice thing that I would like to be able to do... I want to be able to walk to the beach or ride a bicycle to the beach for long walks or occasional fishing... My dw and I are nature enthusiasts so we love to bird watch and take nature hikes ... we love the blue waters and white sand that Florida has to offer.... all of which were unobtainable for us some time ago but the housing crisis has given us an opportuity..

and most of all we have lived in Texas for the past 30 years and are ready for a change to a tropical clime...