Join Early Retirement Today

calling all RV'rs
Old 02-25-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

calling all RV'rs

Hi;
How many of us here are RV'rs either full time, part time or sometime?

I am thinking of buying my second RV, I owned a 30' class A for a couple of years went from the southern border to the northern border and from Tucson to Norflok VA. Then because of work didn't use it much and sold it.

Now I am thinking of getting another RV and doing a little traveling.

I would like to hear the stories of those here that have retired and are using their RVs. What kind do you have where do you go, for how long?

I thought we might start a new thread about ER'd RV'rs

Kitty
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: calling all RV'rs
Old 02-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey Kitty,

I am an RVer as well. I have a large truck camper w/ all the bells and whisles. We(DW and 2 kids)use it alot. We use it as a "home base" while skiing, for short 2-3 day trips to Lake Tahoe and surrounding area. We just took a 10 day trip to Tuson. We plan a 6-8 week trip to Key West and Long Key leaving late April(after ski season 8))
We plan to take 3-4 long trips per year and many short "local" trips as well. One of our favorites is to SantaCruz - you can "camp" in the redwoods and be at the boardwalk in less than 15 min!
I plan on getting a class A down the road and spending alot of time on the road when the kids are launched. RVing adds alot to our lives....and it is an economical way to travel as well!

Donzo
Old 02-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did 3+ months in a Casita - I'm getting the itch again.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm not ER'd yet, but I do own a 37' motorhome. It's a 2005 Damon Challenger 348W (with all the bells and whistles). We planned to full-time in it, but then my wife's parents' health went down the tubes, so we ended up buying another house (rancher) so they could move in with us. It's not as bad as it sounds since her mom is still in pretty good shape and does the dishes, laundy, etc. But dealing with her dad requires someone with more strength (i.e. me or my wife). He's not quite wheelchair bound yet, but if he makes it to the end of the year, he will be (diabetic, lifetime smoker, emphisima, on oxygen...etc, etc.)

The good news is their old house (which we're remodeling in preparation to sell) is worth much more than the mortgage we have now. So things are a bit tight at the moment, but once we sell her parents' house we'll be in really good shape financially.

In the meantime I'm making pretty good money and throwing a lot of it in the bank (or rather investments). The original plan was to work part-time as a contract technical trainer to fund our RV lifestyle. That option will still be there in a couple years, we'll just have a much larger bankroll to live off of and not have to work quite so much

Generally we take the RV out once a month during 'the season'. If it's a long way off, we might take as long as two weeks. I get five weeks vacation, so if we take the RV more than a couple hundred miles, we stay longer to off-set the cost of gas. I also try to find a training 'gig' somewhere along the route (which mean 3-5 days in one place).

Another example is my MIL is from ND originally. So I'll find a 'gig' somewhere along the way to pay for the trip. Once we get to ND, MIL's brother has a big-ole-farm with a 50AMP plug in the barn. I'll set up the MH and fly back to WV while my MIL vists for a month or so. On the way back I do another class MIL doesn't have to drive, pay for a hotel, or rental car (if she flew). I make $2k-3k and exercise the MH. All is good

Old 02-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=Warthog ]
I'm not ER'd yet, but I do own a 37' motorhome. It's a 2005 Damon Challenger 348W (with all the bells and whistles). We planned to full-time in it, but then my wife's parents' health went down the tubes, so we ended up buying another house (rancher) so they could move in with us. It's not as bad as it sounds since her mom is still in pretty good shape and does the dishes, laundy, etc. But dealing with her dad requires someone with more strength (i.e. me or my wife). He's not quite wheelchair bound yet, but if he makes it to the end of the year, he will be (diabetic, lifetime smoker, emphisima, on oxygen...etc, etc.)
Another example is my MIL is from ND originally. So I'll find a 'gig' somewhere along the way to pay for the trip. Once we get to ND, MIL's brother has a big-ole-farm with a 50AMP plug in the barn. I'll set up the MH and fly back to WV while my MIL vists for a month or so. On the way back I do another class MIL doesn't have to drive, pay for a hotel, or rental car (if she flew). I make $2k-3k and exercise the MH. All is good
[/quote

Sounds like you have your hands full and that you are making best use of the options with the RV ... Good for you
Kitty
Old 02-25-2007, 11:29 AM   #6

We full-timed for years during the '90's after we returned from the Caribbean and South America. It was awesome. We had a 28foot 5th wheel and a one ton pickup. We happened upon an Active Adult Community ('Worry-Free' Housing: http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/a_a_communities.htm) and ended up living here full time while we began traveling the world.

RV'ing is a great way to experience lots of states, climates, neighborhoods and styles of thinking/living so that you can decide on a permanent address -- or not -- It's very economical - great bang for the buck!

People in our community who have RV's buy them as a second home. All the comforts of home for lots less $$! Plus they can move it at will.

Donzo
Quote:
One of our favorites is to SantaCruz - you can "camp" in the redwoods and be at the boardwalk in less than 15 min!
I was just in Santa Cruz visiting family. We used to have a restaurant there before we retired. Much freeway renovation is happening now to accommodate the tourist and local traffic patterns. A lot of the area is ripped up presently... But the grocery store situation has improved since my last visit. Trader Joe's has great selections and the new Super Safeway on 41st Avenue is amazing!

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 02-25-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy

People in our community who have RV's buy them as a second home. All the comforts of home for lots less $$! Plus they can move it at will.

Donzo

I was just in Santa Cruz visiting family. We used to have a restaurant there before we retired. Much freeway renovation is happening now to accommodate the tourist and local traffic patterns. A lot of the area is ripped up presently... But the grocery store situation has improved since my last visit. Trader Joe's has great selections and the new Super Safeway on 41st Avenue is amazing!

Be well,
Akaisha
Trader Joe's I could, and have, wandered their store oogaling their selection inthralled with the choices available, wish I had one closer to me now... goat cheese pizza mmmmm.

Kitty
Old 02-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I did 3+ months in a Casita - I'm getting the itch again.
Three MONTHS in a Casita ?
Was that consecutive months ?
Wow
I think I will opt for something larger my dogs need more room
Kitty
Old 02-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a 1 ton truck and a 34 ft. 5th wheel. Daughter is in school so, we go long weekends when the weather is right and during the summer for longer. We're going to Myrtle Beach area in April for a week during her spring break and then - we're taking a 4 week trip from VA. to Montana, Idaho and Wyoming - this summer. We're staying in National and State Parks along the way.

For us - we love being outdoors and it offers a great education opportunity for our daughter.

RV'ing offers an economical and relaxing way to see the best that the country has to offer.

For me personally, if I never have to see another airport - I'll be elated. I certainly don't want to ruin a good vacation having to deal with them.

After our daughter moves on in 9 years - DW and I will likely do a "part-time / full-time" arrangement of some sort.

It's a beautiful country....RV'ing leverages the best that it has to offer.
ijuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

DW and I have been doing some self-education and preliminary shopping for RV's now that we're RE'd. We think we can buy a well-equipped fifth wheel and appropriate tow vehicle (expanded cab one ton p/u) for $100K. Does this pass the common sense test?
Old 02-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does my 1985 VW camper count? Had it for 7 years now, may keep it forever. Great for kayaking trips.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - both tow behind campers

17 foot Go-Lite - late 70's early 80's
28 Prowler 80's early 90's
ended it's days as a guest cabin for overflow relatives/visitors - sold late 90's.

Wore out a Ford 150 and a Dodge Ram.

The itch hits once in a while but soon passes.

heh heh heh - then again never say never again or am I quoting it wrong?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #13

Kitty
Quote:
Trader Joe's I could, and have, wandered their store oogaling their selection inthralled with the choices available, wish I had one closer to me now... goat cheese pizza mmmmm.
Trader Joe's had the best prices in Santa Cruz for food shopping. Cheeze, vegetables, fish, wine, dried fruits and nuts, sauces, etc. I think I would make it my first stop for food shopping and fill in the blanks elsewhere.

Youbet
Quote:
DW and I have been doing some self-education and preliminary shopping for RV's now that we're RE'd. We think we can buy a well-equipped fifth wheel and appropriate tow vehicle (expanded cab one ton p/u) for $100K. Does this pass the common sense test?
I am hoping that you are kidding here about the price... right? We have in our community right now a 5th wheel (Heritage make) about 38-40 foot with slide outs, leather couch and chairs, washer dryer, fully furnished with pots and pans, bedding, etc. etc. etc. going for $30K. It is probably a late 1990's or early 2000. Really cherry. You could probably get it for $25K. We have seen tow vehicles here too, in excellent condition for $17- $25K.

Why buy new? Get a great deal with used, straight from an owner. (IMO)

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 02-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Have never RV'd but plan to this summer. Have been doing research and ran into this "Coachshare Program." www.coachshare.com - Has anyone every heard of it?
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #15

Regarding "coachshare", I've heard that there are similar options for boating....my BIL has pitched it to us several times. My dad was career military and we traveled across the USA in a station wagon w/tents and then in a camper once he made officer - I have wonderful memories! It would take some convincing for DH since we live in the house he grew up in (bought it from his parents) and he hasn't seen much of our beautiful country - although he loves the water. Anyway - the coachshare seems like a wonderful option - possibly combining with with timeshare of a boat/yacht.

As usual - thanks for another great idea!
Old 02-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuba
RV'ing offers an economical and relaxing way to see the best that the country has to offer.

For me personally, if I never have to see another airport - I'll be elated. I certainly don't want to ruin a good vacation having to deal with them.

It's a beautiful country....RV'ing leverages the best that it has to offer.
I agree, if I can drive it, I usually will.

I can travel most of the east coast in a day's drive. So unless it's west of The Missippi, I don't even consider flying

Old 02-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think I could provide much helpful info as my "RV" is an 8 ft. box, pretty basic, pop-up camper, though we take at least one 3 week trip each summer with it. Got it the year I retired and my then 2 and 4 year olds have many fond memories of our trips. They are now 8 and 10.

RE2Boys
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We are full-timing in a 38' fifth wheel, pulling it with a one ton truck. We sold our house, gave away or sold 85% of our accumulated junk, and hit the road last June. I can't imagine a better life....for us.

We just arrived in La Feria, TX last Friday, after spending time with my wife's family in West Texas . It's always exciting to see new places, and new people.

We are planning our 2007 travels. looks like Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon. Vegas, Seattle, Yellowstone and Custer, SD are on the short list.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, had no idea so many RVers were here. Looks like we need to have a FIRE Rally somwhere.

We are new to RVing so we can't claim to be full time, part time, or much of any time at this point. We have 6 trips planned this year starting in March. We have a 32 ft. Class C. We are looking forward to getting on the road and getting away for a while.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Moved from Michigan to Florida after retiring. We like it here but plan on using this summer to tour the Mississippi River on our way back to Michigan for a 2 month long visit with relatives and friends.

On the way back we plan on taking the Great Smokey Mountain route. We like National and State Parks where you can get closer to nature. Also do a few Wal-Mart roast chicken dinner and a free nights rest along the way. ha ha

We also take many 5 day romps around Florida all year long to be closer to attractions or Ocean side accomadations.

We have a 31 foot Hi Lo and pull it with a 1500 Chevy Van.