Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Canada / New England cruise - Looking for insi
Old 07-30-2004, 08:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

John -

Did you check those females for adams apples?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2004, 04:59 AM   #22

Hello TH. Not sure about your "Adam's apple" remark.
Does that stem from my signing off as "John Gal"?
That was pretty funny. Anyway, no "girlie men" here

John Galt
Old 07-31-2004, 07:24 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
John -

Did you check those females for adams apples?
TH: Funny comment.
Although it was totally lost on Galt. (See his answer).
Think he should change his handle to "Walking Eagle",
because he's too full of s--- to fly

By the way, i noticed a few days ago, you said that you roofed part of your house.
Whenever I happen to enter in a conversation with somebody that is a Bay Area refugee up here., (Lots of them)and they ask about the summer heat, I usually tell them it's o.k., as long as you don't have to roof a house.
Regards, Jarhead
Old 07-31-2004, 08:04 AM   #24

Well, I reread TH's post and guess I still don't "get it".
He's a funny guy though. Re. an honorary Indian name,
I would prefer "LIberal Slayer" to Walking Eagle,
although I am quite certain my wife would approve of
it

John Galt
Old 07-31-2004, 11:33 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Hey Jarhead...yep, just finishing up a full remodel on the wifes old house. We started it before the 'wife' and 'baby' parts were planned and discovered, respectively.

We started the roof on what turned out to be the two hottest days of the year here, 105 and 102. At midday on the second day I got the following weeks (this one coming up) weather report. 87 and 85. Bad timing I guess.

Actually its a good time to roof. The shingles were sticking really easily, and the roof should have a nice seal by the time rain starts in nov or dec. Too many people wait until late fall to roof and then lose shingles when it gets windy.

So far, a new 30 year roof, new hardiplank siding, new vinyl windows, a new carport, gutted and completely redone bathroom, retextured and repainted every wall, all new doors inside and out, and all the closets gutted and redone with new shelves and rods.

Its beautiful...and i've had enough of the heat...

But not enough to go out with girls with adams apples...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:35 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, do you STICK them on in California?

Amazing. I guess then 105 degrees would be just about perfect.

(You do have my sympathy for that; even in normal hot weather, roofing is dangerously hot.) My kid managed to get dehydrated from driving home from Maine in her dad's non-air-conditioned vehicle, then never bothering to drink much of anything today. She gets dehydrated at least once a year and never seems to learn. I could almost smack her, it makes me so mad.

Anne
Old 08-02-2004, 12:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Well ya nail em, but they have tar parts that you need the heat to 'stick'...the nails are mostly to hold them in place until everything 'seals'. Best time of year to do a roof is before summer so they have time to seal; worst time is just before winter.

We're getting a nice patch of mid 80's weather this week, which is unheard of around here in august.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:33 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

We had some heat (90's) with humidity that would make you weep. It's still warm (hi 80's) but the humidity has dropped to mere sweating levels.

However, it was nice and cool in the rink! Trumpeting Angel did not score, however, she fell on her bad shoulder (once), on her knees which are now complaining (3x), and did hook and trip Paul but didn't get away with it - rats.

My teammates had the nerve to tell me I'm improving.

Came home and went directly to the shower. Despite the fact that I washed everything washable, that same old hockey smell is seeping from my bag. . .

Anne
Old 08-03-2004, 08:36 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

110 degrees - heat index(temp,humidity,wind) - lake temp. 86. What a great day! Sat in the shade under the neighbors camp and 'supervised his repair' of a boat trailer tire. Let the golden retriever swim a little, putzed with pump house air balance valve and we 'back charged the tank' with an air compressor - 85psi - for the rest of the summer. Ah - Jimmy Buffett heaven. Wore the Aloha shirt my sister sent for my birthday last month. Doing nothing in particular is good.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:32 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I *wish* I had nothing in particular to do, or was on a cruise to canada and new england.

What I *do* have is a small pile of leftover siding, a few boxes of shingles, and some leftover wood trim...and an old shed that is in dire need of all three.

Maybe I'll leave it for a Fall job.

On the other hand, if I do that, three years from now I'll have a small pile of leftover siding, a few boxes of shingles, some leftover wood trim, and a shed thats fallen apart.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:57 PM   #31

Quote:
What I *do* have is a small pile of leftover siding, a few boxes of shingles, and some leftover wood trim...and an old shed that is in dire need of all three
This sounds like a lot like Work
Old 08-03-2004, 06:18 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

It is. But it beats the heck out of wasting a couple of hundred bucks worth of leftover stuff, or parking it all in a pile in the corner and letting it rot.

The good news is I got halfway through the trim work when I got a call that the buyer for my car FINALLY came up with the cash and I went for an hour drive and picked up twelve grand.

Woo hoo! Lobster and filet mignon for my birthday dinner next week!