Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Canadian looking for snowbird health insur
Old 12-20-2005, 07:52 AM   #21

Ed, Ft Mc Murray is not typical Alberta,most of the people working there are from out of te proivince, there just to make somemoeny before they head back home.

You have probably more Newfs there than most towns on The Rock?

I don't know how you handle that weather, and don't tell me it is a Dry Cold, Cold is Cold.

never mind the beggars, how about the hookers in edmontom, -30 and they are out there in thier short, tight skirts, that's tough.

Vancouver has to have more beggars than anywhere, climate makes it easier.

Merry Christmas.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2005, 08:31 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have lived in Both Ontario and Alberta. For long periods of Time. I actually prefer Alberta as a place to live, but the winter is sad. So is Ontario's though. I do like both places though. For as long as I can remember, Alberta and Ontario have Feuded, Everyone Feuds with Quebec so they don't count. : I also remember the "Let Those Eastern B@st#$ds Freeze in the Dark" days. Albeta does run their economy better, but they have the oil money to do it with. I think a Concervative government for the country would be a good thing right now. But it will NEVER happen. The Majority of Canucs vote Liberal and always will. Paul Martin and his cronies could murder the population one by one, broadcast it on the evening news, and they would still get the vote. Go figure. Albetans are all getting a $400 tax refund this winter so it cannot all be bad. I have family in both Alberta and Ontario so I get to go to both often.

Weather Solution, Canada Summer, Hot US in Winter.

SWR

Old 12-20-2005, 08:51 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Weather Solution, Canada Summer, Hot US in Winter.
... and so we come full circle

:
Old 12-20-2005, 09:10 AM   #24

Shok wave, I am looking at the snow swirling out back, getting ready to put the coat on my dod, grab the snow shoes, go out for an hour or so, and play.

I probably won't see another person, and that is just fine, each time we visit South, after about two weeks of Beach Walking and Mall shopping, time to head North.

One exception, I would love to spend a whole month in Florida just to watch Spring Training, especially since my Jays will be a serious contendedto those damn Yankees and the Blow Soxs.

We should never have let Delgado go, the Mets made a great decision, he is a Class Act.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Howard, You are right about the cold. It gets down to -40 here. (For my 'Merican bretheren, -40 C = -40 F.) Mercury freezes at about -38 C. Various body parts freeze well before that. However, we do not get much wind in the winter here, elsewise we'd all be dead. We do not spend too much time outside. Run to the bus, run to the office, run to the pub. The residents dig ski-doos and quads. I must research what they wear. I do have a balaclava with a breathing mask on it for the coldest days. Yesterday it was only -3.

All of us expats and most of the locals are here for the $ or the career. Some are exiles, having been sent to the hinterland until retirement--theirs or their tormentor--for some corporate transgression (God, it is easier being a contractor). It ain't a garden spot and the fishing is better elsewhere (Lake Athabaska!!!)

The Fort is a camp town, but surprisingly well-behaved. The RCMP hits all combatants in brawls with a $250 fine automatically, I hear. Some drivers are pretty bad, but considering all the drugs and alcohol here, it is understandable.

The hookers in Edmonton leave me alone, but everybody else thinks I am a money tree. It reminded me of Mexico. There must be some reason that my hotel on Whyte Ave automatically gives out two key cards, though, and I am beginning to wonder why there are always 7 pillows on the bed.

Recently, I have been working in Edmonton and more recently Calgary, returning to Ft. Muck for the weekends (whee). Both are interesting towns.

Feliz Navidad.

Lalo El Gitano

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:19 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard

I don't know how you handle that weather, and don't tell me it is a Dry Cold, Cold is Cold.
At least we have chinooks I couldn't imagine living in Winterpeg.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Albetans are all getting a $400 tax refund this winter so it cannot all be bad. I have family in both Alberta and Ontario so I get to go to both often.
Yup, it's good times here with money everywhere and the lowest taxes. Ralph doesn't seem so bad.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:38 AM   #28

My only complaint about Calgary was that even though there was no sales tax. Items cost the same as everywhere else in the country, in some cases more, as everything is shipped in. I noticed that it is a wash between Ontario and Alberta for most things if you take Ontario's shafting sales tax into consideration. Wine, Food, Liquor, Appliances, Furniture etc. So they get you sooner or later.

If it was not for the weather, we would live in Alberta in a heartbeat. A really nice bunch of Concervative Canadians with a self sustaining economy. Take them over the Liberals and BLOC any day. JMHO. For now we just visit both as we have family in both places. Alberta wins by a hair though.

What I do not understand about Canada is why (other than health care) the Taxes are soooooooooo high. People must get a little demoralized when they see adds for stuff just accross the boarder for so much cheaper. Wine and Booze even though insignificant to some is a Big one. What we pay $4.99, $5.99 or $7.99 for in the US on sales is a minimum of $15, $20 or $30 in Canada for exactly the same thing. Chicken, milk and eggs is almost double the price in Canada compared to what we pay in the US. A BBQ Chicken in our local Store is $3.46 every day, I paid $8.99 for the same thing in Ontario yesterday. I would say our Grocery bill in the US is about 1/3 less than it is when we are in Canada on Average, but I did notice the Produce and the quality of it is both cheaper and better. Funny considering as most is imported at this time of year. Also I was in Costco this weekend. Last week we bought a 50" Plasma TV from Costco for $2499 before tax. the Exact same TV was in Costco in Ontario for nearly $4000 dollars. I certainly do not understand that. It was also the only 50" available when in the US there was a choice of 4 different units.

SWR
Old 12-21-2005, 08:14 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
People must get a little demoralized when they see adds for stuff just accross the boarder for so much cheaper.
I think it depends on WHAT you are buying and what you are familiar with, when shopping. My wife and I find that it is cheaper to purchase in Alberta than ANYWHERE else in Canada OR the US. We find food cheaper in Alberta (if you buy at costco and superstore) then in any other province, and in the US, some food things are more and some less. We are vegans, so I cannot speak for your food needs.

With non-food items, if you shop around, and wait abit, you can find electronics equal or cheaper in Alberta than in the US. For example, I picked up a GPS unit for $899 Cdn, and the cheapest I can find it in the US is $899 USD.

Restaurants are abit different. I can EASILY find cheaper healthy food restaurants in the US (especially in the warmer areas) as the produce is produced in those parts and hence it is passed on to the consumer.

Just our perception....

Old 12-21-2005, 08:44 AM   #30

Canadian Taxes are higher, but when you have to start paying directly in the States, it does become a wash.

Our Tuition for University is about $3,000 US, compare that to US schools where $15,000 + is the norm.

Health Care is a major factor, the ageing popualtion will only force US premiums higher.

Drive through Michigan, it is obvious they may have lower taxes , but the state of their Highways is totally ridiculous.

Canada has more universality of systems, we have safeguards put into place that ensure minimum standards on a national level, in the US it varies by region.

Public Education in Canada is more even, unlike the US where rich neighbourhoods get better facilities, in Canada all areas have the same access.

Canada supports a larger land mass, deals in two languages, Public Servants and Teachers are paid much better, a good balance between Europe and the US.

I was often challenged as to why most Canadians live within 100km of the border, the answer is that Cream and Bastards rise to the top.

2% of the World's Population, 20% of the worlds fresh Water, the only country in the world that is totally self sufficient for Energy, Food and for Water.

Global Warming will make the areas of the US Mid West a desert, Canada will be able to produce more.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #31

Quote:
Canadian Taxes are higher, but when you have to start paying directly in the States, it does become a wash.

Our Tuition for University is about $3,000 US, compare that to US schools where $15,000 + is the norm.

Health Care is a major factor, the ageing popualtion will only force US premiums higher.

Drive through Michigan, it is obvious they may have lower taxes , but the state of their Highways is totally ridiculous.

Canada has more universality of systems, we have safeguards put into place that ensure minimum standards on a national level, in the US it varies by region.

Public Education in Canada is more even, unlike the US where rich neighbourhoods get better facilities, in Canada all areas have the same access.

Canada supports a larger land mass, deals in two languages, Public Servants and Teachers are paid much better, a good balance between Europe and the US.

I was often challenged as to why most Canadians live within 100km of the border, the answer is that Cream and Bastards rise to the top.

2% of the World's Population, 20% of the worlds fresh Water, the only country in the world that is totally self sufficient for Energy, Food and for Water.

Global Warming will make the areas of the US Mid West a desert, Canada will be able to produce more.
I'd agree. When I lived in the States, I found our net income to be comparable to our net income in Canada (given the same salary) so I don't agree that Canada has a higher tax system at all. Like Howard said, post secondary tuition is MUCH lower in Canada and therefore more affordable. Also, my property taxes in Calgary are much lower than what my property taxes were in Tulsa (and the roads/highways in Tulsa were a mess...)
Old 12-21-2005, 11:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gReeNy
I think it depends on WHAT you are buying and what you are familiar with, when shopping. My wife and I find that it is cheaper to purchase in Alberta than ANYWHERE else in Canada OR the US. We find food cheaper in Alberta (if you buy at costco and superstore) then in any other province, and in the US, some food things are more and some less. We are vegans, so I cannot speak for your food needs.

I also find our food bill is pretty comparable to what we were paying when we lived in the States (sometimes even less).
Old 12-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #33

I think it must be an individual thing, my wife and I were DINKS (Dual Income No Kids) and we definately found Canada to be about 15% - 20% higher overall. With all our "write offs" in the US. Mortgage, State Tax, Car Tax, 6 bottles of Wine per week Etc. Etc. were were definately a lot better off. However, I agree, Produce is much cheaper in Canada and the quality better than the 3 places in the US I have lived, California, Florida and Colorado. The last 2 week Brocolli has been 0.72 cents Canadian a pound when in Florida we NEVER saw it less than $1.25 US. While that is just one example, we also find Avocados, Lettuce, Radishes, Peppers etc far better here in Canada.

SWR
Old 12-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not to worry. When that happens USA will just invade and occupy you.

Ha
Old 12-21-2005, 06:37 PM   #35

Yeah, but what if we win again, like we did in 1812

Would we have to give you guys some kind of Marshall Plan, to rebuild you
Old 12-21-2005, 10:03 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Will this have US citizens lining up at the door to the Canadian immigration office?

Canada court OKs group sex

OTTAWA - Group sex among consenting adults is neither prostitution nor a threat to society, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled on Wednesday...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10561253/

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote