Join Early Retirement Today

Canadian looking for snowbird health insur
Old 12-14-2005, 08:38 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Canadian looking for snowbird health insur

My dw and I are mearly months now from FIRE. We have left the country for travel at only 1 months escapes, but with FIRE approaching, we will be implementing those 183 day escapes and in need of augmented health care insurance.

For those who are not aware (or who care), Canada will continue to provide health care to it's citizens as long as they do not leave the country for more than 183 days. (6 months) / per year. When canadians leave the country, they can get/buy out of province/country insurance that tops up any benefits that canada will pay while out of its boundry.

It is very easy and cheap to get short term insurance (max 31 days).

It is confusing (and possible expensive) to get longer term insurance.

I'd like to hear from other Canadians (Snowbirds?) on where you get your insurance and what are your premiums and coverage?

Thanks

Mark
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Canadian looking for snowbird health insur
Old 12-14-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Mark.

DH and I haven't looked too closely into additional health insurance since we're not snowbirds (not even close!) but when we were both self-emplyed we had our health insurance through Alberta Blue Cross (not sure where you live). In addition to the standard health insurance, you can buy travel insurance anywhere from 30 days up to 1 year I believe for a very reasonable price.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Calgary_girl

I am just 45 mins northwest of Calgary (Water Valley).
I will check further into Blue Cross.... but I think there are cheaper coverage out there... most posted coverage is for those 'older' people (> 65), but little info for us (abit) younger ones....

Thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 11:22 AM   #4

Hi Mark. You can also check out the following link from RBC since they cater to the snowbird crowd:

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/RBC:Q6Bj...nvenience.html
Old 12-14-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey! Thanks for the link Calgary_girl.

I found one at my bank also and they give online quotes.

Now that I know of other org's out there, I can start comparatively shopping, though, what I'd really like is "Catastrophic" or High deductable insurance to keep the premiums low. When we are outside of Canada and US, it can be much cheaper to just pay for medical care, then to make a claim.

Thanks again!

Does not seem to be many Hosers on this board, so it's nice to see someone so close....
Old 12-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gReeNy

Does not seem to be many Hosers on this board, so it's nice to see someone so close....
I agree! There a few regular Hosers that float around on the board but they all live in the centre of the universe (aka Ontario ) :P so it is nice to see that you're pretty close also!
Old 12-14-2005, 04:09 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We do it all the time, you can get 6 months coverage from here. It is about $750 for 6 months.

http://www.travelguard.ca/

SWR

Old 12-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Shok!

Another great site that adds to my list.

Have you ever had to make a claim or know anyone who has?
(Not that we plan too, but sure would like to know they are hassle free)

gReeNy
Old 12-17-2005, 06:06 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gReeNy
Have you ever had to make a claim or know anyone who has?
(Not that we plan too, but sure would like to know they are hassle free)

gReeNy
NOPE, it is "just in case". Also I have used it for more than 6 months with a weeks break in between, and they still write it. I cannot understand why they will write 364 day policies when Canada (Ontario) says 6 months resedency is required to maintain coverage?

SWR
Old 12-19-2005, 08:01 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I cannot understand why they will write 364 day policies when Canada (Ontario) says 6 months resedency is required to maintain coverage?Huh
Im in alberta, and they state that after 6 months, they will terminate your coverage and you'll have to wait 3 months AFTER your return, before they reinstate it. (Unless you notify them first that you'll be gone more then 6 months, then they will terminate you NOW and restart you the day AFTER your return.)

Gotta Love Choices eh?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:08 AM   #11

Calgary-Girl, why do you Albertans like to display your ignorance?

To our American friends, Albertans are treated by the rest of Canada like you guys treat Texans, you know, if Texans were meant to ski, bull **** would be coloured White.

The real joke is that 40% of them have moved there is the last few years, all of a sudden, Golly Gee, Yippy Kai Yay, we're Albertans.

Summer is August 14'th.

They are also very jealous of the Heart and Financial Centre of Canada, the most important region that determines who forms the government, Ontario(We Vote Democrat, they vote for a Bush Clone, Harper and are Republican, also very strong Christian Fundamentalists, do not support Gay marriages).
Old 12-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
Calgary-Girl, why do you Albertans like to display your ignorance?

To our American friends, Albertans are treated by the rest of Canada like you guys treat Texans, you know, if Texans were meant to ski, bull **** would be coloured White.

The real joke is that 40% of them have moved there is the last few years, all of a sudden, Golly Gee, Yippy Kai Yay, we're Albertans.

Summer is August 14'th.

They are also very jealous of the Heart and Financial Centre of Canada, the most important region that determines who forms the government, Ontario(We Vote Democrat, they vote for a Bush Clone, Harper and are Republican, also very strong Christian Fundamentalists, do not support Gay marriages).
What in the heck are you talking about?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Better up the meds... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:38 AM   #14

Read your own posts CC, a few regular HOSERS but they are from Ontario, the centre of the universe.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Read your own posts CC, a few regular HOSERS but they are from Ontario, the centre of the universe.
Wow, someone obviously can't take a joke can they?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:57 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
Wow, someone obviously can't take a joke can they?
I don't know which is funnier-- watching the Americans beat up on each other or watching the Canadians trying to beat up each other even worse.

Reminds me of the boomer & fast-attack sailors imbibing a few frosty beverages and going at each other...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yup, and in spite of these problems, ownership* all that oil and gas and now the tar sands, looks like those poor Albertans can buy pretty much whatever the hell they want. Only mistake Texas made was to pump it too soon.

Ha
Old 12-19-2005, 08:07 PM   #18

A joke was Ralph Klein, the Premier of Alberta, stumblimg drunk into a shelter for the homeless and telling them it was all their fault for being lazy.

A joke was this same Premier giving homeless people bus tickets and sending them out of the Province.

A joke is that Albertans keep re-electing him.

Merry Christmas/Joyeux Noel.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:51 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Howard,

I dunno. I kinda like Klein. What is wrong with busing the dregs homeless people to Ontario? They will be welcome and they will vote Liberal. Everybody is happy.

It is kind of like Louisiana here in Alberta. All hanging out. Here in Ft. McMurray, you can almost smell the private deals being made. Actually, a LOT like Louisiana. Edwin Edwards would fit right in.

Canadian parties do not compare very well to US parties. The most hide-hound reactionary parties here are somewhat left of the Democrats in the States. They are sort of straw horses though. Canada has multiple parties in the same way Mexico does. The Liberals correspond better to the PRI.

Christian Fundamentalists? In Canada? ? ? I have lived in Kingsport, Tennessee, Houston, TX, Baton Rouge, LA, and a couple of places in Florida. Alberta is more like northern California. Oregon is more conservative than Alberta. Alberta is fairly mellow, but with lots of beggars in the streets, even at -20 C. Sturdy beggars, though. Edmonton's murder rate is going up and there are meth labs in Calgary. Pretty soon, it will be just like home (sniff). :P

I haven't met the Albertan who can hold a candle to a windy Texan.

Basically, I like Alberta. People are tolerant and polite--much more polite than I am. Much more tolerant than I am, too. I will enjoy it while I can. Some very nice folks are teaching me the ropes, some of them on this board.

HaHa:

Oil sands, baby, oil sands. For some reason, "tar" sands is as politically incorrect as a racial slur. Something else I have to research.

Ed The Gypsy,
a nuveau-Albertan, happily wallowing in my imported ignorance.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:41 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
* Alberta is fairly mellow, but with lots of beggars in the streets, even at -20 C.* Sturdy beggars, though.* *
We call them "sturdy buggers" down here. Whatever.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote