Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Canned soda loses its fizz
Old 12-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Canned soda loses its fizz

I’ve inherited a jam-packed storage closet from a neighbor who moved out some years ago, then sublet the place for a few years. Found some cans of Diet Pepsi under a 1998 newspaper, two of them were only about 1/5th full, the third seemed normal but I opened them all, dumped the contents and recycled the cans. Anyone know how this works, how does the Pepsi lose its fizz?

I’m trying to decide what to do with 100s of new-in-box golf tees; taking a break for the holidays because it’s pretty dusty/disgusting in the lower storage layers; not sure what the seeds are about, is that rat poison at the bottom; & it resembles work, hey, I’m retired. Have you ever found anything interesting on this kind of archeological dig?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When doing our 4th st old house I found an old leather hightop child's shoe, a wooden handled 3-tine dinner fork, and a small bottle of strychnine powder. Still have the fork and the strychnine just in case i need to off someone - no purchase record ya'know. Found a small handfull of early 1900 coins doing the foundation here - figure it was right where a gap in a window sill and hole in the perimeter beam conspired to eat coins. Old newspapers & magazines galore. Carpenter's signature and 1912 date on covered area of a transom window door we salvaged.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

So haw was the Jam?
Golf Tees are useful for plugging vacuum lines and gas lines while working on a car. Don't need many though.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
So haw was the Jam?
Golf Tees are useful for plugging vacuum lines and gas lines while working on a car. Don't need many though.
also with a bit of glue to fill loosey-goosey door hinge holes - clip end of course...
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I

I’m trying to decide what to do with 100s of new-in-box golf tees;

Normally I would say sell them on ebay but it does not look like they are drawing much . Maybe Craig's list ? When I moved into my first house We found an antique banker's lamp in the attic.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for that post, Calmloki, I thought landlords here would have stories; maybe I should keep the rat poison & old knives. We almost threw out the silverware but found sterling silver spoons among them, hello eBay? Probably not, but nice patina. Is99, “jam yesterday, jam tomorrow, but never jam today.”

Here’s a hobby for someone!: The hatstand is a golf tee, the hat pins are jewelry findings on straight pins and the hat box is an empty thread spool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6684.jpg (417.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I’ve inherited a jam-packed storage closet from a neighbor who moved out some years ago, then sublet the place for a few years. Found some cans of Diet Pepsi under a 1998 newspaper, two of them were only about 1/5th full, the third seemed normal but I opened them all, dumped the contents and recycled the cans. Anyone know how this works, how does the Pepsi lose its fizz?

I’m trying to decide what to do with 100s of new-in-box golf tees; taking a break for the holidays because it’s pretty dusty/disgusting in the lower storage layers; not sure what the seeds are about, is that rat poison at the bottom; & it resembles work, hey, I’m retired. Have you ever found anything interesting on this kind of archeological dig?
As far as the Pepsi cans go, expanding and contracting with weather changes will sometimes create micro leaks in the seal, leading to evaporation and loss of fizz.

Back in college ('74) we went down under one of the dorms through a locked door and found the 1960s era bomb shelter. Broke in through the chicken wire and made off with a bunch of food and the medical kit. Opened the can of crackers and another can of peanut butter. Pretty nasty. Even the lab rats wouldn't eat it, and they'd eat anything. Even in my really really stupid days we had (just) enough sense not to try the morphine that had been expired for 12 years. Surprisingly, the water was just water. Tasted like the can, but definitely drinkable.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
As far as the Pepsi cans go, expanding and contracting with weather changes will sometimes create micro leaks in the seal, leading to evaporation and loss of fizz.

Back in college ('74) we went down under one of the dorms through a locked door and found the 1960s era bomb shelter....
Thanks, that's what a friend said, it must have leaked out through the seal. I religiously rotate and replace my emergency food supply. Wonder if there are any un-pilfered bomb shelters still out there.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

I remember when bomb shelters were popular and we had one in the cellar and believe me it would have taken a bomb to make me stay in the cellar for more than a minute .We had a shelf with canned food and a table & chairs next to the furnace .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I remember when bomb shelters were popular and we had one in the cellar and believe me it would have taken a bomb to make me stay in the cellar for more than a minute .We had a shelf with canned food and a table & chairs next to the furnace .
Aren't those '50s dining sets hot now? We got a few bucks for mom's table top.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:07 AM   #11

Cleaning out my mother's house in preparation for her moving I found a 1940 Washington, DC aeronautical sectional chart that my father had used when he flew Piper Cubs before WWII. I thought it was worth having framed and it hangs in the basement with painting of Shoo Shoo Baby (WWII B-29) and the poem High Flight.