Join Early Retirement Today

Car Free Snowbirding Destinations
Old 01-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Car Free Snowbirding Destinations

The recent car free posts had me thinking about Car Free Snowbirding Destinations.

Last winter we spent time in Myrtle Beach. There are a few areas there where you could enjoy a car free lifestyle, particularly in the area of Town Commons.

The community is walking distance to the airport, as well as all the shops and conveniences. Market Common MB - Home - Market Common, Myrtle Beach, SC

The owners of the next townhome to our rental lived in NYC, and when commuting to MB, would just walk from the airport to their townhome. Probably a 30 minute walk.

Soooo, this got me thinking. Are there any other similar enclaves in the sunbelt?
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Charleston, SC? You can walk a lot there. A little chilly, but similar to Myrtle Beach.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about Miami? Or Sydney or Melbourne if you are more adventurous.

https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
How about Miami? Or Sydney or Melbourne if you are more adventurous.

https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/
hmm, Miami might be nice, but I can't remember any transit options when we visited. I do remember that the light rail/bus transit in Phoenix was surprisingly good....
Old 01-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
I do remember that the light rail/bus transit in Phoenix was surprisingly good....
Phoenix is so spread out that you are very limited on where you can go using the light rail. Using the bus system in combination with the light rail will allow you to spread out but I'm sure most residents would still consider a vehicle in Phoenix a necessity. I certainly would.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Phoenix is so spread out that you are very limited on where you can go using the light rail. Using the bus system in combination with the light rail will allow you to spread out but I'm sure most residents would still consider a vehicle in Phoenix a necessity. I certainly would.

I agree. Look into Sun City, az for possible carless snowbirding or maybe Rio Verde if you're into golf and want to be out of town

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Although rapid transit in Phoenix isn't perfect, you can get by with a motor scooter plus public transit easily

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:42 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

What I think I am looking for is locations where there is a microcosm area where you could do 90% of what you would like to do, but have access to transit when necessary.

When we visited Phoenix a couple years ago, we found that rental cars were much cheaper when renting at Scottsdale airport as opposed to the big intrernational airport. We used a combination of light rail and busses to get to scottsdale, and found the scottsdale area itself to be reasonably car free friendly. Obviously, you can't golf like 10 different courses, this would require a car, but you could easily catch a spring training ball game, shop, get groceries, etc in Scottsdale without requiring a car.

What I am thinking about is snowbirding in the south from Canada, but being able to snowbird without a car.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:17 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Key West if you have a few bucks.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It makes it easier if you can find a rental car company to pick you up. We were at our snowbird condo, and needed a rental car. We called Enterprise. They picked us up at the condo, drove us to their facility, we did the paperwork and drove off with the car. I suppose other companies do pickups as well.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
gone traveling

North American culture is not designed to live car free really other than downtown in a city. Not exactly my idea of a 'snowbird' location to spend a winter in.

It also depends on your interests and what you want to do with your time. If you're happy doing nothing but sitting in the shade and taking the odd walk to the store to buy groceries, then car free is easier to contemplate. But if you want to do much more than that, it's a lot harder.

One of my favourite winter getaway locations is Borrego Springs, California. But we go there for the desert hiking, not bright lights and action. It's actually California's only International Dark Sky Community. So great star-gazing.

You could stay there and get around without a car but it would be very limiting. We do day trips to Delmar and La Jolla on the coast or up to Julien in the mountains or over to Palm Springs to see how the plastic people live or to the Salton Sea to see the folly of that 'retirement oasis' that flopped so spectacularly.
OldPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:49 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Key West if you have a few bucks.
The first place that came to my mind. A condo/rental near N Roosevelt is still convenient and considerably cheaper than the high priced old town area.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Anna Marie Island has a trolley that travels from the beach to other destinations . There are lots of restaurants , a nice beach & some shopping . Publix delivers groceries so basically you could go car less or rent a bike .The trolley combines with regular bus transportation so you would be able to go to spring training , movies & other events .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Condo/Apartment in Woodlands (TX) Waterway. Same in downtown Austin.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:58 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Anna Marie Island has a trolley that travels from the beach to other destinations . There are lots of restaurants , a nice beach & some shopping . Publix delivers groceries so basically you could go car less or rent a bike .The trolley combines with regular bus transportation so you would be able to go to spring training , movies & other events .
Anna Maria Island (Bradenton, Florida) Trolley is FREE. And it connects you to the bus services that go into Bradenton or Sarasota.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have stayed in Bradenton Beach a few times and highly recommend it and Anna Maria.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

My personal favorite snowbird destination is the Yucatan south of Cancun. Cancun is relatively cheap and easy to fly into from most anywhere; and, public transportation between towns is cheap and efficient once you are there. Taxis are a viable option for shorter distances as long as you avoid them within the touristy areas and the airport where I consider them to be significantly overpriced.

I definitely need to add the Anna Maria Island (Bradenton, Florida) area to my domestic travel considerations; it looks quite nice.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting replies.

We have been to Key West and loved the vibe. Verrry expensive. I remember a couple campgrounds where you couldn't open your RV door without hitting the rig parked next door

Have also spent time in Cancun and relied on buses with no issues at all. Taxis have a local and tourist rate.

Austin TX would be interesting.... Spent a week there during SXSW. Downtown, ya you wouldn't need a car there...
Old 01-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPro View Post

One of my favourite winter getaway locations is Borrego Springs, California. But we go there for the desert hiking, not bright lights and action. It's actually California's only International Dark Sky Community. So great star-gazing.

You could stay there and get around without a car but it would be very limiting. We do day trips to Delmar and La Jolla on the coast or up to Julien in the mountains or over to Palm Springs to see how the plastic people live or to the Salton Sea to see the folly of that 'retirement oasis' that flopped so spectacularly.
Shhhh, we want to keep Borrego a secret . Even the snowbird season is quiet. Our villa is in the center of town and we can walk to restaurants and the grocery store. Hiking & biking in the state park is fantastic and there's lots of 4x4 trails as well. We love the dry desert heat, better than shoveling snow back home
Old 01-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTOrt View Post
Shhhh, we want to keep Borrego a secret . Even the snowbird season is quiet. Our villa is in the center of town and we can walk to restaurants and the grocery store. Hiking & biking in the state park is fantastic and there's lots of 4x4 trails as well. We love the dry desert heat, better than shoveling snow back home
I first found Borrego over 30 years ago JTOrt. It's claim to fame then was no traffic light at all, just Christmas Circle. It's claim to fame today is the same. There are not many places where you can say something like that about.

What fascinates me about the place is how many major developers have attempted to try to turn it into anther Palm Springs and every one of them has failed. It stays pretty much the same decade after decade. It's almost as if you don't have to 'shhh, keep it secret', it's immune to change.
OldPro is offline   Reply With Quote