Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

I have been a member of the TDIClub (VW diesel forum) for 10 years now. It's exclusively for people who own VW diesels and has a worldwide membership of around 100,000 registered members (10,000 active). The site has an extensive database of "how to's" for maintaining and upgrading the various diesel models going back to the 1990s. The database includes recall information and TSB's (technical service bulletins), some of which the VW dealers don't have. The U.S. and Canadian members are very active and not only provide technical advice but also hold annual and periodic regional meetings with members for a workshop event kind of gathering.

There is absolutely noting that can happen to my diesel that I can't get technical advice on within minutes of posting in the forum. Also, the site has a list, by state, of "Trusted Mechanics", individual shops that are reliable and have been evaluated by local members.

You won't find one VW dealership service department listed on the Trusted Mechanic's list.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

www.nasioc.com - primarly for WRX/STI subarus
www.subaruforester.org - for fozzies
Old 05-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
An O2 sensor could be as easy as unscrewing it and replacing it. But, getting access may be difficult and it may be corroded and hard to get off. Check Youtube for the DIY on your car.

+1. YouTube/Internet is your friend. I replace the O2 sensor on my Toyota Sienna and it was easy. I was lucky though since it was easy to access the sensor. There are other sensors on the Sienna that are much harder to access.

Do a little research and then you can see if it's worth doing it yourself or taking it into the shop.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

One hint for stuck bolts or O2 sensors--Time can be your friend. Spray with something like PB Blaster. Let it sit overnight. Drive it. Spray it again. The time and the heat/cool cycles help the oil to penetrate the threads. Makes it a lot easier to break loose.

The Ford engine in our Navigator (same as some F150s) was notorious for having spark plugs seize and break off during service. The cost for spark plug replacement was priced in several hundred $ range and they usually expected at least one spark plug to break. While you have to remove some covers to get to the plugs, I did that about a week before I planned to change them so I could put some PB Blaster on them. Sealed it up and wound up driving for two weeks before I could get to doing the job. Every one came out without much trouble.

Advice after taking them out is to make sure you put anti-seize on the threads when you put them back in! Commonly overlooked by DIY types.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Another reason to avoid the American car brands.
My experience is that this happens across the board. I had a Lincoln ES years ago, and was never impressed with the dealer's service. This was especially the case when our window opener needed a third replacement. The first 2 were under warranty, the third was some 1000 miles beyond warranty and they would not give me a break.

We now own a Lexus and Audi. Their prices for non-warranty work are likewise sky-high, and they do push unnecessary services.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
Bad advice. Almost all of the dealerships operate the same way.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Bad advice. Almost all of the dealerships operate the same way.
Toyota and Honda dealers in our area are the same. Complete rip-off. Too many examples to list specifics.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I do most of the work on my cars and some family cars. I recently change a thermostat on a Audi A-4, the dealer wanted ~ 700 dollars because the intake manifold needs to come out. Volkswagen thermostat comes in a housing made of plastic which gets brittle over time. S60 Volvo ~ 2004, the housing includes the thermostat plus the temperature sensor. You can not just replace one item.
My friend recently work on a Cadillac in which the starter was below or inside the intake manifold. It took him about 7 hours from start to finish!!
HF63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:35 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF63 View Post
My friend recently work on a Cadillac in which the starter was below or inside the intake manifold. It took him about 7 hours from start to finish!!
That's amazing, but I believe it. Friend of ours had a Prius and to replace a headlight bulb he had to take the bumper and fender off!

Engineers who design stuff like that should be taken out and shot.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
There is absolutely noting that can happen to my diesel that I can't get technical advice on within minutes of posting in the forum.
Ditto here, except I am still messing around with the older IDI VW and Mercedes diesels that have absolutely no electronics. SWMBO is finally getting around to getting a new car that I won't be able to do much with (giving up her 380SL)
Old 05-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Buying a foreign brand isn't a guarantee of honest service. The worse dealer I ever, ever dealt with was a Toyota dealer.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Or "Engineers ........... should be taken out and shot."
Old 05-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's amazing, but I believe it. Friend of ours had a Prius and to replace a headlight bulb he had to take the bumper and fender off!

Trust me, decisions like that are not made by a single engineer. Packaging design is like an automaker's Congress and it is where appeals are made and lost, deals and compromises are struck and sausage made. Everyone wants their piece of the turf and someone always loses.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Or "Engineers ........... should be taken out and shot."
Ouch!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Trust me, decisions like that are not made by a single engineer. Packaging design is like an automaker's Congress and it is where appeals are made and lost, deals and compromises are struck and sausage made. Everyone wants their piece of the turf and someone always loses.
I kinda figured that. Some of that stuff is clearly so screwed up it had to be designed by a committee.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Then the overseeing manager should be the one to blame - someone has to approve this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Ouch!
Better than shooting, send them out to the field to do the repair (pro bono for the customer), in the cold, and the dark, and the rain and snow.

My Volvo has some little clips to hold in the halogen bulb. It is near impossible to get those clips to sit right, something has to be aligned just right, and it's a blind operation with your hand in there covering up any little view you might have had.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Car Maintenance Rant
Old 05-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Car Maintenance Rant

Quote:

Not necessarily. Sometimes engineers have to design around specs that they know are full of 'compromises'. They have no choice.

Never mind. Others made the point.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

try changing the spark plugs on a turbo Subaru - gotta remove the cai, washer reservoir, coil packs, etc. takes forever
Old 05-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Not necessarily. Sometimes engineers have to design around specs that they know are full of 'compromises'. They have no choice.
I'm sure that is the case. Nonetheless, I will never, ever, buy a Prius if the company is so incredibly sloppy so as to release a design that requires removing a fender and bumper just to replace a light bulb. I simply cannot envision any reason for something like that.

It tells me they don't care about the customer or his maintenance expenses. All they care about is selling the car.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm sure that is the case. Nonetheless, I will never, ever, buy a Prius if the company is so incredibly sloppy so as to release a design that requires removing a fender and bumper just to replace a light bulb. I simply cannot envision any reason for something like that.

It tells me they don't care about the customer or his maintenance expenses. All they care about is selling the car.
I had a 1967 AMC Rebel that had a freeze plug rust out and start leaking. Dealer said, "need to pull the engine to fix it". I cut a 4" diameter hole in the firewall, popped in a new freeze plug, pop riveted a cover on the hole and covered it with the carpet.

BTW I was never a package engineer, so don't shoot me.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote