Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I always have bought my cars new and drive them 100K+ miles before selling or trading them.
Exactly what I do. If I can get 200k, the better!

Quote:
The last two cars I have bought it seems whenever I take them back to the dealer for the basic maintenance of oil and filter change they always want to perform some supposedly needed maintenance and of course at a rather expensive cost.
I only carry them back while under warranty so there is no excuse to void it (i.e. somebody else has touched it).

Quote:
Sorry for the rant but got up early today to take my 2008 Ford Fusion in for an oil/filter change/check engine light, was told the thermostat is stuck and then they broke off the head of a bolt on the plenum and called at 430PM and told me it was ready and at $500+.
I would say that the bolt repair was on them since you brought it in without it broke. They were seeing how much you would negotiate in my mind.

Quote:
As I was leaving the service manager followed me out the door and said he knew I was not a happy camper but asked if I would please give them positive feedback on the e-mail survey I would be getting. I said not on your life. Funny how I have yet to receive the survey.
Bingo! I live in the same city as you and gave a "rough" review of another dealer in a close city. I don't get those surveys any more to fill out.

Quote:
In the bigger city where most people are simply a number, I don't think this is the case. Screw them and I will find another business to provide my car maintenance needs.
Exactly, it seems to be all about volume to support such large dealers. Here is the difference between the dealer you were working with and a small town dealer: My parents called the dealership in question and asked them to find a car for them. They never did; only wanted to sell what they had in inventory. Meanwhile, the small town dealer understood what they were looking for, found the car several states away, drove to get it, brought the car to my parents house, and sealed the deal. My parent never set foot on the dealership's property. Some loose their way when they get too big for themselves.......

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Dealers love flushes - they will flush your transmission, flush your power steering, flush your radiator and flush your wallet.

Oddly the maintenance recommendations in the back of the owners manual never seem to mention flushes.
Not part of regular maintenance, but if I should be so recklessly irresponsible as to taint my CR-V with non-Honda fluids, I shall flush the evil poison from her veins with extra virgin Honda nectar as soon as possible or suffer mucho bad juju.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm curious at to whether most folks here follow the factory recommended maintenance for their vehicles. Do you follow it strictly, not at all, or somewhere in between? I'm not talking about any repairs - the car runs fine but is due for routine maintenance. Do you take it to the dealer or somewhere else?
Old 05-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Somewhere else, unless it's free! You have to watch some of the chains as they can be as bad or worse than the dealership. One large tire place insisted I needed a battery, I came in for free rotation, the battery was 6 months old!

🐑
Old 05-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pretty much follow the manual, not necessarily at the dealer if their prices are reasonable. Get coupons for the Silverado for oil changes, always seemed fair.

About these freakin' surveys! Can't even go into Lowe's and buy a can of paint without getting email survey on my experience (have loyalty card w email address). When recently purchased new car must have been begged three times by salesman to please give him high marks. He was sort of a pia but I feel sorry for these individuals who apparently live or die by their damn survey numbers. I wouldn't hesitate to mark down an individual or business for bad service or work though.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Personally for me anyways, I don't really service my vehicles then I use the money saved from that to buy my next vehicle. I would change oil and air filter regularly but other than that I only did a few other minor things to the already used Trailblazer I owned for 12 years and 200k. Sold it to cheap friend a year ago and he hasn't had a problem with it and added 20k more to it. I then went and bought a 6 year old 100k Trailblazer and have done nothing to it either the past year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #27

I follow the fluid change schedule pretty strictly, usually to the dealer if it is still under warranty, and independent shop afterward. Their prices on fluid changes are fairly close.

So far the Honda dealer here hasn't tried to talk us into anything not normally scheduled, but he may be an exception to the rule. A close friend of mine who is an aircraft mechanic has his car worked on there (more to save him time, he could do it himself of course) and says they run an honest shop. Or at least an aircraft mechanic is not the guy they'd pick out to try to fool.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithOp View Post
Agree with Mike, I owned a Ford Aerostar in the 90s that was nothing but trouble, always in for $500 dealer repairs. Now own an 07 Honda CRV with 110,000 miles, still going strong. Just put on a set if 90k Michelin from Costco, expecting it to make 200k easily. AC compressor went out on a trip to Phoenix last summer at 97k, pulled in a dealership in Costa Mesa and was fixed free under the 100k warranty. $37 for oil, filter, and tire rotation.
Since when does Honda have a 100,000 mile warranty that covers the AC compressor?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:15 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Since when does Honda have a 100,000 mile warranty that covers the AC compressor?

Hondacare extended warranty, my wife's car, she complains about any little noise so it paid for itself every time I didn't have to look at it, just sent her to the dealership.

http://www.honda-extended-warranty.com/coverage.aspx

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree - just say no to the dealer unless it is something a neighborhood mechanic cannot handle. We have learned this the hard way.

And BTW our 2000 Toyota Highlander has had a check engine light every year for the past 6 years. The sensors keep needing to be replaced - known issue. We would NEVER buy a Toyota Highlander again for that issue. So it's not just american cars with repeat issues. The neighborhood mechanic replaces it for half the cost - each time it's a diff sensor.

We bought a Prius before this started happening - not a single issue has gone wrong.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
No problems with mileage or the temp. and I asked the same question why the temp. didn't run hot or cold. The service mgr. said it was probably and intermittent issue. He said they did get a code noting the problem. They also flushed the cooling system.

IMHO the bottom line, dealerships are going to soak you on car maintenance if you let them.
Thermostats operates with a metallic spring and sealing flange (plate) that expands or contracts depending on the temperature of the coolant passing by it. It's a pretty simple device. To have an "intermittent" problem is extremely unlikely and I doubt the code reader the dealer uses could determine a coolant temperature variation is an issue directly related to the thermostat, which is always responding to a few degrees of fluctuating coolant temperature in a dynamic environment (coolant flowing, cooling..heating). However, it's easy to change and it's one of the jobs a "paid by the job" mechanic loves to do sine he usually beats book time by 50%.

On changing coolant and doing a flush....modern cooling systems rarely need this done. Look at your owners manual and see what the manufacturer recommends. In our cars, it's 120,000 miles.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
I agree - just say no to the dealer unless it is something a neighborhood mechanic cannot handle. We have learned this the hard way.

And BTW our 2000 Toyota Highlander has had a check engine light every year for the past 6 years. The sensors keep needing to be replaced - known issue. We would NEVER buy a Toyota Highlander again for that issue. So it's not just american cars with repeat issues. The neighborhood mechanic replaces it for half the cost - each time it's a diff sensor.

We bought a Prius before this started happening - not a single issue has gone wrong.

Im not into spending money on sensors or getting scalped at the shop over it. My check engine light was on for the last 7 years I owned the vehicle.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hondacare extended warranty, my wife's car, she complains about any little noise so it paid for itself every time I didn't have to look at it, just sent her to the dealership.

Honda Extended Warranty | Coverage

Sent from my iPad using the strange new version of Tapatalk
Am I reading this right? This is a long list of things that could make 'a little noise' (or worse) that are not covered:

Quote:
Parts other than HONDA Genuine or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts; wiper blades; battery (except for the nickel-metal hydride battery in hybrid VEHICLES); cables; steering wheel; belts; radiator hoses; heater hoses and vacuum hoses; spark plugs; plug wires; distributor cap and rotor; timing belt replacement when performed as routine maintenance; exhaust system; head pipes; tailpipes; catalytic converter; mufflers; hangars; heat shields; gaskets (except for the manifold block gasket) and related fastening hardware; fuel tank straps; fuel hoses; brake system wear items such as drums/rotors or shoes/pads; clutch disc; clutch pressure plate; throw out bearing; external shift linkages; pilot bearing/bushing; glass; mirror glass; body parts; body structure (except for hood hinges, trunk hinges, door hinges and sliding door rollers); hood; fenders; doors; rear hatch; trunk lid; grille; panels; bright metal; sheet metal; paint (except for covered hinges painted to match the original VEHICLE color only); bumpers; moldings; lenses; bezels; bulbs (except for instrument panel illumination bulbs); High Intensity Discharge (H.I.D.) headlamps; sealed beams; fuses; body seals; weather-strips (except for window sash and window run channels); outside ornamentation; emblems; tires; valve stems; wheels; wheel covers/ornaments; rims; trim rings; caps; wheel studs; lug nuts; wheel locks; fastening/securing hardware for non-covered components; stripped or cross threaded fasteners (e.g., nuts, bolts, studs, screws, etc.); body seals; squeaks; rattles; buttons; carpet; dash pad; console; window handles; knobs; boots; pedals; pads; rearview mirror (except for electronic failure of the auto-dimming mirror); interior trim; upholstery; floor mats; electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN HONDA AUTHORIZED ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES/NAVIGATIONAL; DVD ENTERTAINMENT AND SECURITY SYSTEMS; Safety Restraint System fastening hardware; seat belts and airbag(s) deployed due to collision. If YOU believe there is a defect in these parts, please contact YOUR DEALER immediately.
What do you pay for this?

-ERD50
Old 05-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Am I reading this right? This is a long list of things that could make 'a little noise' (or worse) that are not covered:

What do you pay for this?

-ERD50
Those are mostly wear parts, no warranty will cover them. I didn't pay anything extra, but I'm sure it was bundled in the pricing. Its AWD and had that serviced several times when it made funny noises going around corners, plus the rear door locks made funny clicking noises.
They did try to upsell "flushes" but I told her to decline, the last one was brake fluid lol.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Im not into spending money on sensors or getting scalped at the shop over it. My check engine light was on for the last 7 years I owned the vehicle.

In my state you cannot pass inspection with a check engine light - it's automatic failure. We have since learned to reset it, drive the car a bit (but not on the highway) and we will get by sometimes.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Those are mostly wear parts, no warranty will cover them. I didn't pay anything extra, but I'm sure it was bundled in the pricing. Its AWD and had that serviced several times when it made funny noises going around corners, plus the rear door locks made funny clicking noises.
They did try to upsell "flushes" but I told her to decline, the last one was brake fluid lol.
IMO a brake fluid flush is not a bad idea if you want to keep your braking system in top shape.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
(bold mine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
IMO a brake fluid flush is not a bad idea if you want to keep your braking system in top shape.
Right, no laughing matter.

A relative was an aircraft mechanic, and he flushed the brake fluid of his cars, and recommended it. It's in some car manuals, and many mechanics will recc it. Brake fluid absorbs water - very bad thing for brakes. You might get rust, you might have the water turn to steam, and that means little/no brakes as the steam compresses unlike liquid.

Muffler bearing rotation - not so much

-ERD50
Old 05-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Re brake flushes, I do this on all my old VWs and Benzes. I have a repurposed garden sprayer fit up with an ATE master cylinder cap on the hose end. I suck the reservoir dry with a turkey baster and pump and bleed the system with fresh DOT 4 fluid every few years. MB used to recommend this every 2 years. The old stuff sure looks a lot different than the new stuff.

I am sure the dealers have a much more sophistcated bit of equipment they need you to amortize.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
It's actually a good idea. Now the otherside. You need after at least 5 years, maybe 7. I did my own after 11.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
It's actually a good idea. Now the otherside. You need after at least 5 years, maybe 7. I did my own after 11.
Yep, 5 years is a decent interval, although some of the German car makers recommend more frequent changes. That would make the '07 Honda in question due for a flush, most likely ... assuming it hasn't been done before.