Caves in Arkansas

sgeeeee

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm leaving tomorrow for a week long project to document archaeology sites in some caves near West Fork, Arkansas. I may get access to the internet once or twice during the next 12 days, but maybe not.

I realize that camping in Arkansas and excavating prehistoric artifacts isn't everyone's idea of great fun, but I'm very excited. :D I hope it isn't too cold or too wet. During down time, I may get a chance to balance food on my head. :)

If you are truly one with the food, it will balance itself.

Enjoy your trip, we expect photos of random animals with artifacts on their heads.

I have had a lot of experience in speleological expeditions, mostly 10-20 years ago. There are some nice caves in AR, especially in the Buffalo River area. Don't miss Blanchard Springs Caverns, one of the best show caves, administered by the National Park Service. Let me know how the trip turns out. I have thought about this sort of thing in the future when I have the time in ER.

Well . . . It rained . . . and rained . . . and rained. It was cold and very muddy. My camper leaked. A waterfall formed in the cliffs behind my camp and a wide river began to run through my camp. Every piece of gear I brought got wet and muddy.

Because of the nature of the caves and the archaeology, we were able to do very little work in the caves. I worked with a crew that dug over 200 test pits and found only a handfull of artifacts.

And while I was freezing in the wet, muddy Arkansas rain it seems like a lot happened here. I can't possibly catch up with all the posts I missed. Apparently in the absense of my stablizing presence, the site nearly self-destructed. Anyone want to offer a capsulized version of what's been going on? Or direct me to the key threads? :)

Back
Top Bottom