Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado
Rick S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Rick_S

Your example of roads and railroads was a very poor choice to contrast public and private investment and to contrast capitalism versus socialism.
Your facts are sufficient and speak for themselves.... although one could argue that subsidizing of private industry is still private industry. ... but, still, not the best example.

This would have been sufficient, I would think, without name calling.

To get back on track, I've already said that I think either the Fire Dept or 911 service would be a better example of necessary public works... would anyone like to comment on that?
__________________

__________________
This life is a test... it is only a test. Had it been a real life, we would have been given further instructions on where to go and what to do.
Rick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Rick, here you are with all of 28 posts and nevertheless recovering nicely after being jumped and beaten upon.
__________________

__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado
Rick S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 45
Thanks, Martha... I appreciate your comment.
__________________
This life is a test... it is only a test. Had it been a real life, we would have been given further instructions on where to go and what to do.
Rick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:09 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,898
Well, here I return to this thread after having posted about the denial and uninterest in the comments to the 60 minutes program and now I find that the thread has taken a right turn into the problem of the railroads! Very amusing!

Maybe it's not denial that causes people to avoid the topic of our country's eventual bankruptcy but a feeling that is pointless (since we have no control at all any more) to even talk about it. The thing is we do have some control. We can elect a new President who does address the issue.
__________________
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:21 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
I watched some of the linked presentation. I was already aware of the things that were presented.

The presentation reminded me of what Ross Perot showed a decade or so ago. Where is Ross when we need him ?

My take on all this is that changes (for the worse) are inevitable to SS and Medicare. They will definitely come, but nobody in Washington is talking about it. Where is some leadership when you need it.

There is no leadership and hasn't been for several years. The two major parties will never allow a "Ross Perot" or another party to arise. They love to keep the American electorate busy watching American Idol, Paris Hilton, etc. rather than watching what they do. Just this weekend Hilary and John Edwards were overheard (their mikes were on) conspiring to reduce the Democratic field of candidates and their participation in the debates.
__________________
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:24 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Well, here I return to this thread after having posted about the denial and uninterest in the comments to the 60 minutes program and now I find that the thread has taken a right turn into the problem of the railroads! Very amusing!

Maybe it's not denial that causes people to avoid the topic of our country's eventual bankruptcy but a feeling that is pointless (since we have no control at all any more) to even talk about it. The thing is we do have some control. We can elect a new President who does address the issue.

Please let us know who that candidate is. I listen to and read many of their comments on various issues and I haven't heard it yet. In fact, the lack of attentions is/was the major concern/theme of that 60 minutes episode.
__________________
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeeyre View Post
Please let us know who that candidate is. I listen to and read many of their comments on various issues and I haven't heard it yet. In fact, the lack of attentions is/was the major concern/theme of that 60 minutes episode.
I should have elaborated because I truly believe this is a huge issue and should be addressed by all Presidential candidates. The only way that it will be is if we ALL OF US press the candidates and MAKE them address it.

I have already started my nagging email campaign to all Democratic candidates. But they will only address issues that they perceive are important to the marjority of voters. If you think it's important whether or not our country goes bankrupt trying to pay all the Medicare and Social Security entitlement promises, then I suggest you join me and badger the hell out of these candidates, of both parties.
__________________
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:42 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ladelfina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,713
Very bizarre goings-on here (in Italy) w/r/t pension reform. Current pensionable (SS) age is as low as 57 (even lower for jobs that are risky or physically "consuming"). The center-left gov. (Prodi/Unione) wants to raise it, natch. All hell is breaking loose as, rather than ramp the age up gradually somehow, they have offered a "scalone" - a big age step-up.

Then another center-left member of his coalition (Rutelli) floated this winning idea: let men take SS a few years earlier than women (i.e., make women work longer), since women live longer!

Whooooo-weee! I don't think even the most rightward of the US wingers would risk going that route.

A lady writing to the paper tartly pointed out that after all the extra work ladies do here to take care of kids, take care of oldsters, and run the household on top of working (and making less money than men).. they should not only work longer, but then have to look after another child (their ER husband) to boot!?!?!? ;-DDD

[Sexist? Sure, but that's how things are here.. only a minority of men are able to feed, dress, or clean up after themselves. My SIL can't leave home for a week without preparing all her DH's meals in advance.]
__________________
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #49
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
My SIL can't leave home for a week without preparing all her DH's meals in advance.
That's pitiful!!

I remember back in the 1950's when that was more common here in the U.S. I guess it's analogous to the women who could not change light bulbs by themselves back then either. Totally pitiful.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Thats Why My Wife is from the old country!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:13 AM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 25
Thats Why My Wife is from the old country!

Why support a high maintenance American Diva when ones personal life can be enhanced through tradition where a wife knows how to serve her husband and familiy with class and dignity? I highly recommend marrying a foreign wife rather than a spoiled American. Its a two way street, as I worked hard to bring in plenty of funds to make life decent, but for heavens sake, American couples in marriage have totally lost their values in their effort to monetize their roles. There are some matters that can be measured with money, and others that can not.
__________________
volga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
That's pitiful!!

I remember back in the 1950's when that was more common here in the U.S. I guess it's analogous to the women who could not change light bulbs by themselves back then either. Totally pitiful.
LOL. There's no way in hell my wife is allowed in the kitchen.

As far as division of labor, we're probably about 50/50 on chores. I did all of the laundry last night but she'll have to iron anything she wants pressed.
__________________
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
LOL. There's no way in hell my wife is allowed in the kitchen.

As far as division of labor, we're probably about 50/50 on chores. I did all of the laundry last night but she'll have to iron anything she wants pressed.


DW has a fridge magnet that says: "Welcome to My Kitchen,I Hope You Survive"..........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 AM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ladelfina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
I remember back in the 1950's when that was more common here in the U.S. I guess it's analogous to the women who could not change light bulbs by themselves back then either.
Right, it may not have been great, but there was some balance and trade-offs if the wife wasn't working outside the home. SIL, instead, has a job as a high-school science teacher, after school works in the family's shop, and still has to be the "mamma" and keep track of/provide for DH and two grown daughters. Not fair. She doesn't draw any boundaries since her whole self-esteem is tied up in being "irreplaceable", but that's food for another thread.

Volga, are you selling some kind of Russian mail-order bride deal? I think a Russian lady would likely take a US guy to the cleaners and back. (wink)!
__________________
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post


DW has a fridge magnet that says: "Welcome to My Kitchen,I Hope You Survive"..........
I like it.

I should clarify. I do all of the cooking. I'd like to think that I'm pretty arn good at it too.... I've got a buffet for 150 (had lots of help with that one, brother's wedding... that was our gift) and a 7-course Thanksgiving dinner for 20 under my belt (was so nervous I couldn't sleep the night before, started prep at 3am. fell asleep at 6pm, right after pie).
__________________
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
That's pitiful!!

I remember back in the 1950's when that was more common here in the U.S. I guess it's analogous to the women who could not change light bulbs by themselves back then either. Totally pitiful.

Ahhhhh... back in the '50s women didn't leave the family for any reason except for a parent dying.... they had no vacation days
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #56
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by volga View Post
Why support a high maintenance American Diva when ones personal life can be enhanced through tradition where a wife knows how to serve her husband and familiy with class and dignity? I highly recommend marrying a foreign wife rather than a spoiled American. Its a two way street, as I worked hard to bring in plenty of funds to make life decent, but for heavens sake, American couples in marriage have totally lost their values in their effort to monetize their roles. There are some matters that can be measured with money, and others that can not.
Guess what? American Divas work hard to bring in plenty of funds to make life decent for themselves and their families. They serve their families with plenty of class and dignity. Many of these Divas are single parents whose wonderful husbands of all socio-economic subgroups have cut and run when life got a little tough.

Good luck (and good riddence) to those men who chose to go abroad and find a so-called traditional wife who is willing to be dependent and subservient in exchange for an American lifestyle. Seems to me we used to have a word for that sort of financial exchange.
__________________
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #57
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Guess what? American Divas work hard to bring in plenty of funds to make life decent for themselves and their families. They serve their families with plenty of class and dignity. Many of these Divas are single parents whose wonderful husbands of all socio-economic subgroups have cut and run when life got a little tough.

Good luck (and good riddence) to those men who chose to go abroad and find a so-called traditional wife who is willing to be dependent and subservient in exchange for an American lifestyle. Seems to me we used to have a word for that sort of financial exchange.
I just discovered that we don't have a "hi-five" emoticon on this board! Oh well.

Nice post, Oldbabe. I am SO GLAD to be an American woman in the 21st century. We have opportunities that women elsewhere, and throughout history, have never had! What an awesome privilege and responsibility it has been for our generation to lead the way.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #58
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 25
In a global sense, do not expect this twisted, ego centric version of womanhood to sell to men that have choices that are not bound by borders or media. My wife is well educated, both of us have advance degrees, and we built a self sustaining estate as a team. She does what she does well as do I. I would quote the Bard as to the previous postings, "she doth protest too much". One can well gage veracity with such verbal venom.
__________________
volga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Volga, are you selling some kind of Russian mail-order bride deal? I think a Russian lady would likely take a US guy to the cleaners and back. (wink)!
No, I am my wife are both originally from Russia. Met in College, but I was able to get out first and pulled her out of the madness of the post soviet economic fiasco. We both hold US citizenship. We remain steadfastly traditional as to our marriage, which has worked in two countries, one collapsing all around us, and our adopted one not all that stable once one dares to examine it closely. But, at least we can keep 60-70% of what we have from the collective seizures of the IRS, much better than working for the state collective!
__________________
volga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by renferme View Post
And I guess you don't realize that we're forced to use the programs set up
by liberals. There is no choice.
Check out the governments in the socialist countries of Europe and then
check out their economies and then compare with the USA.
We're headed in their direction and it's not where we want to be going.
The liberals (socialists) will live to regret it.
.
GDP/Capita
1 Luxembourg 80,471 2005

2 Ireland 44,087 2005

3 Norway 43,574 2005

4 United States 43,444 2005

5 Iceland 40,277 2005

6 Switzerland 37,369 2005

7 Denmark 36,549 2005

8 Austria 36,031 2005

9 Canada 35,494 2005

10 Netherlands 35,078 2005

Your point is?
__________________

__________________
jefipius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Government Rigging The Equity Markets? Donner FIRE and Money 57 09-15-2005 04:01 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:10 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.