Join Early Retirement Today

Celebrating my 1st year of FIRE
Old 03-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #1
gone traveling

My 1 year Post FIRE date is coming up.

Thought I might post my list of 3 key accomplishments, 3 development areas and 3 strength (as measured by life as a FIREd person )...

Corporate performance review jokes aside, Are post FIRE self reflections something of interest ? Can be shared w/o too much casting of judgment ? I've learned a lot about my self this past year.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Post away. I enjoy reading things that show self-awareness and growth.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree, please post your thoughts on year 1.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:14 AM   #4

It might be guidance for those of us who are gettng close.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
It might be guidance for those of us who are gettng close.
Very much so.

Papa as I'm on my last month of work, I'm very interested in any tips and observations from folks who ER
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Terryjm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:57 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

bring it!
I'm interested.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

DOnt forget the "Where do you see yourself in 5 years...10 years?"
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
DOnt forget the "Where do you see yourself in 5 years...10 years?"
That's mean.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post

...Thought I might post my list of 3 key accomplishments, 3 development areas and 3 strength (as measured by life as a FIREd person )...

... Are post FIRE self reflections something of interest ? Can be shared w/o too much casting of judgment ? I've learned a lot about my self this past year.
There's really only one way to find out...
Old 03-27-2016, 06:12 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

And if it's not to much trouble, please mention how much fortune you started with. That's where my biggest fear is; running out of money. Who wants to look for work in their 80's?
Old 03-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Seven days and no reply. Good sign he is off having fun and not in front of a computer?

Backdraft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
And if it's not to much trouble, please mention how much fortune you started with. That's where my biggest fear is; running out of money. Who wants to look for work in their 80's?
What is it that you find overwhelming? What do you get from FireCalc?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I am with you lampshade

Terryjm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:06 PM   #15
gone traveling

Sorry. Been doing other things. Am working on my summary. Not adequate for one sitting so will post shortly. Official 1 year is end of March, coming soon. Good inputs on what to include etc.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Still waiting to hear what it's like papa. I have about 20 days left and freaking out a bit

Old 04-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
My 1 year Post FIRE date is coming up.

Thought I might post my list of 3 key accomplishments, 3 development areas and 3 strength (as measured by life as a FIREd person )...

Corporate performance review jokes aside, Are post FIRE self reflections something of interest ? Can be shared w/o too much casting of judgment ? I've learned a lot about my self this past year.
As someone who will take the plunge in 5 months , I would love the hear some reflections from someone on the first anniversary of retirement.
Green Hornet 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:12 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

14 months in:
Accomplishments - closer relationships with family and friends by more time spent together; more art produced; weight loss of 10 lbs; regular exercise (5/week vs 1/week prior). Pretty darn good experience so far.

texcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:41 AM   #19
gone traveling

Thanks. Well. I can see that I won't get to this in one fell swoop. I'm finding time is at a premium. And actually it's a lot harder to write this post than I anticipated. I know what I want to say but not quite sure how to say it. So far, one year in, retirement has been, in a few words:

Massive change - with our FIRE plans came an international move back to America, Resettling our kids, living near family for the first time in decades, empty nesting with one of two kids heading to college, learning to budget and navigate in the USA again.

It's also included a new post FIRE "career" for both me and DW- I took on a teaching role in exchange for free tuition and am a year closer and several credits to a masters degree - oh that too. Going back to school as a student after several decades is not easy. The degree- It's totally just a bucket list thing and am wondering if it's worth it just to say I did it. Subconsciously Maybe it's more of a way to add to my capabilities if ever returning to work were required eg. pacify my fear (see below)

DW also working part time just to meet some people and social interaction because we live in the countryside and it's too quiet just talking to the dog all day...

What I have found is that the mind does not turn off so easily after multiple decades in a high paced mega Corp especially in a fast paced industry. Also proves I'm never too old to learn new stuff - keep your mind busy and have purpose. What ever that may be.

Biggest concern for me - I Still have Massive and deep seated money fear: while the math looked more than good, I continue to be a nervous Nellie about money and finances. January didn't help either with the fears of bad sequence of returns. I continue to worry about money. I'm a worrier by nature. Firecalc and other calculators say we are good. WR is nicely below 4%. But still I worry -- will I have to pay for mom who is in assisted living. Will we have financial hardships later. Will the kids launch (one is struggling to readjust Etc ). This has been mentally tiring and I can't let go of the fear. I find my frugal behavior is at times irrational. I just can't get my head around spending down. Even my post fire WR budget is snipped here and there to stretch portfolio out. Not having pension, SS 20 years away, and having to do it all myself may be part of the fear. It's huge for me. I can not under stress that point. Huge. Then I get reminded that dead men have no pockets and try to loosen up. Has not been easy. We don't yet have a mechanized approach to draw down either. Asset allocation is still being adjusted too. Guess that part is normal. Nothing is on auto pilot yet. Too early to do that. A few arguments over petty money matters. Mostly my fault as I forgot we have money in the bank . I do get more aggravated when wife or kids waste money especially now that it's finite.

We are running a lazy portfolio now and I don't like bonds. AA is 85/15. Next post can discuss money status in more detail. What our budget is etc.

College classes do seem a lot like work at times.

Accepting that Yes we are strange: People can't figure out why we are young and retired. Relatives judge us a little negatively. This combined with frugality make some think we are broke. We drive 20 year old cars. Live in a modest home... Look completely middle class. Frumpy and middle aged. Wife is not a fashionista at all. Blend in.

When I suggest retired, they think we should be much older, that I was victim of a layoff or they suspect some inheritance etc which of course didn't happen for us. Out look throws them off. We are average just like them but we don't need to work.

It's gotten to the point where now I purposely and pointedly use the word retired and say I worked my tail off so I could stop working early. I don't at all hide that fact that I earned it the hard way. In fact, maybe I'm narcissistic in that "tell" has become a great source of entertainment for me to then watch people's gears turn and then they squirm a bit with disbelief and curiosity and their own self denial ...

Being early retired is more lonely than I thought. It is very very difficult to find a similar friend group at my upper 40's age.

This board has been helpful and I interact with my mba students but only professionally.

I find meeting the "old" people hanging at McDonald's in the morning is entertaining - lots of wise "old" retirees hang out there. My dad used to hang out there before he passed and he told me once it's the only place he could find people to leisurely chat with on a Tuesday morning at 9:30 am when everyone else was rushing to and fro.

Marriage is ok - but an area that I want to pay more attention to. It's gotten a bit stale combo of a middle aged marriage and me working all the time before FIRE. Lucky to have her and need to show it more. I'm more conscious of, and ok spending a little money for the occasional spouse date. I was glad she went back to work part time because even PT, her insurance is covered and anything she brings it reduces our stash draw down. Plus she enjoys the social aspect as she is high Introvert and would otherwise not meet many people.

I do not miss the travel for work at all. Infact I've not been on an airplane in 6 months and that's after being multi million miler -- seeing the airline status go to " not ****" status has been sad. But I do not miss long commutes or work travel one iota

As for travel, we spent 2 decades traveling as a family. I'm enjoying my chunk of land and not traveling. Plus we have a kid in HS and parents really need our help as they age so being on terra firma for a while has been surprisingly ok for me, a person who was always moving around or traveling and is a global nomad. We will definitely get back to that at some later stage.

I do wish I had taken more thinking time to be more purposeful with some of my time. I'm busy. Not sure if that activity leads to something productive.

I need to exercise. Pay attention to health. That's been one of the big gaps during year 1. I do like to cook and cook more at home but exercise took a back seat because I got so busy with other stuff. I need to fix that in year 2 of FIRE. After I finish the masters degree.

Ok- that's a start to some ramblings. Overall I am glad I FIRED but still after a year am just getting the hang of some of the very basics. A few things I wish I had done differently too.

More to follow.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:46 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice and interesting. Thanks for sharing