Join Early Retirement Today

Celebrating Your FIRE Escape
Old 05-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Celebrating Your FIRE Escape

For those of you who have already reached FI and retired early, how did you mark the occasion with your family or friends? Did you throw a party (or link to a birthday party)? Did you go to dinner with close family or friends? Did you do nothing at all?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #2

I was busy preparing to move from traffic hell.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two people from work who thought the world of me took me to lunch.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:41 AM   #4

I let everyone think I was unemployed.
It was interesting to see who tried to offer job hunting advice/help.

I don't advertise it, as it will only bring on the requests for $$$$ or jealousy.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

No ER oriented celebration here. DW and I already had a trip to Europe planned to celebrate our 35th anniversary. When ER got moved up a few months, that trip became the first ER trip, but it wasn't intended that way.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #6

A big party was suggested for me by a relative, but I declined since most of the guests would have been older than me and still w*rking. I felt like I would have been rubbing it in. I did celebrate informally with a handful of already retired/ERd friends.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:45 AM   #7

We celebrated with a trip to Key West about two weeks after I retired.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For the first few years of FIRE, I would set my alarm for the exact time I used to have to for w*rk, get up, dress in jeans, and drive to the parking lot of the building. I would sit with coffee in a to-go mug, listen to the radio, and watch the cube lemmings go into the building. Then I would go do some shopping errands and head home.
My FIRE anniversary date was April 1st.
I have no idea if anybody ever recognized my vehicle, but it was a great April Fools' joke for me to enjoy all to myself.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #9

I took the wife and kids RVing on Lake Tahoe for a week. We had such a great time, my cheeks hurt from smiling! It will be 9 years this June already, so fast. Got to enjoy 5 years of the kids being home - priceless. My daughter graduates UC Davis this June, my son next June. Time FLYS. We are taking a family trip to the coast of Maine this summer to celebrate my daughters graduation...going to eat lobster til we are sick of it
Old 05-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

FreeBird 5825 - my FIRE date will also be April Fools Day!
Old 05-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickernick View Post
For those of you who have already reached FI and retired early, how did you mark the occasion with your family or friends? Did you throw a party (or link to a birthday party)? Did you go to dinner with close family or friends? Did you do nothing at all?
You mean, the anniversary of the day I retired? I keep forgetting and haven't celebrated it even once. Frank retired two or three months after me, though, and now and then we remark on the fact that the first five years of retirement have been so happy.

Or, you mean the actual day back in 2009 when I retired? I went home at noon, and IIRC Frank took me out to dinner that evening at a nice restaurant. He paid since he still had a job.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #12

Officially celebrated with a lunch with good folks at work and also had a nice dinner out with my wife and family. The real celebration was simply waking up every day after retiring with plans to do whatever I wanted to at whatever pace I wished to progress those things. It's been a great, ongoing celebration for months now. I can't wait to get up each morning and I enjoy virtually every single day. Maybe someday it will get old but I really don't think so!
Old 05-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #13

Went to the beach for a few days with DH.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I very politely declined almost all the customary retirement events, to MegaCorp's chagrin.

But I had a nice dinner with my favorite co-workers (I got to choose, took 8 people out of 80 local, about 600 North America) who I truly enjoyed working with, the night before my last day. DW took me out for a nice dinner, nothing extraordinary, about a week later when we got around to it. And she bought be a bottle of my favorite Scotch, that I'd quit buying several years ago because it's just gotten too pricey (and Scotch isn't my drink of choice anymore anyway).

I assume the OP was not talking about retirement day anniversaries, I don't even think about that, just another day now...

I thought the idea was to celebrate being retired every day after leaving cube world.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes - interested in how people marked their actual early retirement day (not anniversary). My is less than a year away, and I have a bottle of Dom Perignon from 2000 that will be uncorked. My 50th birthday is two weeks later, so I thought maybe I would wait 14 days and invite friends for a birthday party.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickernick View Post
Yes - interested in how people marked their actual early retirement day (not anniversary)......
I took the next day off work........and the next and............
Old 05-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #17

No personal party, but our board is having a retirement party/reception for me in 8 days. 😁 I'm not crazy about it, but people are being so kind that I guess I'll deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

We left immediately for a 25-day RV'ing trip. It was the most wonderful feeling to know we would not be coming back to a pile of built up work. Prior to our departure we wondered if 25 days away would feel too long. On day 25 we had our answer - no, it definitely did not.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #19

Did nothing at all. It was just an ordinary day. Came home from work and spent the night at home with DW.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:12 PM   #20

DH celebrated by beginning chemotherapy the next day. Wasn't exactly what we'd have planned, but 6 months later the doc gave him the all clear and we left for a trip to Mexico. Years later, he's still in remission, or actually now I think he can just say cancer free.

Tags
celebrate, party