Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Please consider yourself hugged from me also.

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Please accept my cyber hug and good thoughts as well.

CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #63

kyoung1956,

Sorry to hear of this latest met development.

Consider yourself hugged. I hope you keep fighting it with all you've got.

And CONGRATULATIONS on your retirement!!!! Hope you are able to enjoy it for decades to come.

omni
Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #64
Administrator

So sad to hear that you have been going through all this. I am hoping for the best possible outcome and wish you the very best.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #65

Take care, I hope you do feel better soon.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Hugs from me as well.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #67

kyoung1956,

My mother-in-law had breast cancer in the 70's and again in the 90's, each treated with a mastectomy. Recently she had a scan for another reason and they found a lump on her liver. A biopsy showed that one of the breast cancers had metastasized to there. Here she is either 20 or 40 years after the initial metastasis and the tumor is the size of a walnut. Her doctor says that if the growth of the liver spot has taken this long to get to that size, it is likely that old age will overtake her before the cancer does (she's 75 now). It has been over a year since they found the tumor and multiple scans have shown essentially no change.

Here's hoping that you look back on this 20 years from now as a scary bump in the road of life. All the best.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
kyoung1956,

Here's hoping that you look back on this 20 years from now as a scary bump in the road of life. All the best.
+1
Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
kyoung1956,

My mother-in-law had breast cancer in the 70's and again in the 90's, each treated with a mastectomy. Recently she had a scan for another reason and they found a lump on her liver. A biopsy showed that one of the breast cancers had metastasized to there. Here she is either 20 or 40 years after the initial metastasis and the tumor is the size of a walnut. Her doctor says that if the growth of the liver spot has taken this long to get to that size, it is likely that old age will overtake her before the cancer does (she's 75 now). It has been over a year since they found the tumor and multiple scans have shown essentially no change.

+2

Ha
Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #70

Quote:
My MIL had a similar situation as scrinch and when she passed it was from old age. +1 on hoping you can look back on this many years from now.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #71
Dryer sheet aficionado

I will keep you in my thoughts. Please keep in mind that the body's healing abilities are not well understood. I am an RN and I promise you that I've seen people survive things they were not "supposed" to survive. Or live years longer than the doctors predicted. No one knows how your body will respond to these tumors or to treatment. Do investigate having the tumors resected if your doctors think that is a viable solution for you. I am familiar with the treatment and while I don't know if it is the standard of care yet, it has proven to be beneficial to some people in some circumstances. It is worth investigating further anyway. I wish you all the best and please keep us updated on how you are.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #72

My best wishes that you overcome this hurdle and have a long and happy retirement.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Wishing you good luck.

I worked in a department of 8 people 10 years ago and 4 out of the 8 ladies in my department had breast cancers during a 3 years span. Fortunately all 4 are still in remission.

My wife is currently and hopefully permanently in remission after 4 months of chemo.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #74

Ch-ch-ch-chin up, girlie. You are still a girlie, and I bet you've got some fight. You've shown it.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #75

kyoung1956,

Like everyone else, I wish I could give you a big hug. I wish I could think of something to say to take your stress away. Please know that I am thinking of you and sending warm thoughts your way.

-helen
Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #76
Administrator

I can think of nothing else but Churchill's speech to the Harrow School in 1941. Among other things, he said

Quote:
Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
I know that you will fight as hard as you are able. And I will be cheering you on the whole way.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #77

Keep fighting and stay positive, God Bless.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #78

Virtual hugs and all my best wishes.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I can think of nothing else but Churchill's speech to the Harrow School in 1941.

I know that you will fight as hard as you are able. And I will be cheering you on the whole way.
+1. Will be thinking of you.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #80

Quote:
kyoung1956,

That is wonderful news. KYoung1956 --- I want to read that this is YOUR story in 20 (and 30 !) years We're all here for you. The body has a wonderful ability to heal. Picture those spots shrinking and picture your body gulping down and throwing out any other little bad cells that are floating around.

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote