Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Chain Saws
Old 12-14-2005, 05:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought my homelite 18" about 23 years ago when I had some property in upstate NY. It worked real well the few times I used it. I haven't used it for about 15 years. Looks in excellent condition and I would love to sell it. I wonder what I could get for it?

MJ

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I won't have anything to do with a chainsaw.* Most anything requiring the use of a power tool ends up with me hiring someone because it is cheaper than the trip to the hospital.

I heard a true story about a guy who was using a saw and hit a nail buried in the wood.* The chain broke, whipped around, and hit him in the crotch.* When he looked down, he saw blood and elt something loose in his pants.* Shook his pants and a testicle fell out.

No thanks...
This guy was a "wuss". *Shake out your pants and finish the job.
It will be good practice for later on when you are lodged in "the home",
and shaking things out of your pants will be standard procedure.

JG

Old 12-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had a Stihl for 16 years and used my Dad's before that. If there is a more reliable chain saw than this, I haven't heard about it.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
I bought my homelite 18" about 23 years ago when I had some property in upstate NY. It worked real well the few times I used it. I haven't used it for about 15 years. Looks in excellent condition and I would love to sell it. I wonder what I could get for it?

MJ
If you can ship it to Washington before Christmas, about $200
Old 12-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just for interest sake I have 30 year old Pioneer that has been bullet proof. My cousin who cuts a lot of wood has three or four Stihls and a pioneer that is older than mine. The Stihls are expensive to fix but all in all pretty reliable and really nice to use.

Bruce

Old 12-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
If you can ship it to Washington before Christmas, about $200
We accept, cash, checks, CC, coupons, IOUs or a sweet smack on the cheeks

Now, 1 down and 99 more to go of these extra teethy props from that gruesome movie, you know....
Old 12-14-2005, 08:41 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I won't have anything to do with a chainsaw. Most anything requiring the use of a power tool ends up with me hiring someone because it is cheaper than the trip to the hospital.

I heard a true story about a guy who was using a saw and hit a nail buried in the wood. The chain broke, whipped around, and hit him in the crotch. When he looked down, he saw blood and elt something loose in his pants. Shook his pants and a testicle fell out.

No thanks...
I pretty much agree with you. As I get older, I have more and more adopted an actuarial approach to a lot of things.
I know a guy who was a BIA Forester, and no stranger to chain saws. His familiarity didn't prevent him from cutting down to the bone in his thigh, and needing several surgeries over many months. These damn things are just dangerous anyway you slice it.

Same with ladders- I don't know how many men I have known over the years who got fairly broken up falling off ladders. And if it happens when they are older, they may never really recover.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #28

Quote:
I won't have anything to do with a chainsaw.* Most anything requiring the use of a power tool ends up with me hiring someone because it is cheaper than the trip to the hospital.

I heard a true story about a guy who was using a saw and hit a nail buried in the wood.* The chain broke, whipped around, and hit him in the crotch.* When he looked down, he saw blood and elt something loose in his pants.* Shook his pants and a testicle fell out.

No thanks...
Sounds like what happened to the investors that followed Jimmy Jones Cramer's investment advice from 2000 to 2002.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:06 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

After two or three Crapsman chainsaws, we gave up.* Dh would run about a gallon of fuel through it and then motor would blow.* We finally got a Husky from Lowe's and it's worked great.* * DH also has an ancient massive McCullough for big jobs - it's heavy and difficult to start, but unstoppable.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #30

Seems to me that unless you have a large amount of wood to cut on a more or less routine basis, renting a saw might be a more prudent approach to buying one.

Next spring I have a couple of large trees I need to cut down and then into pieces and my current saw is too small for the job. I plan on renting a 22-24 inch bar saw for the day since I cannot see the need to have one this size on a routine basis. One day will cost far less than buying one and even if I do need one in the future, it could still be rented much cheaper and I don't have to store it.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:04 PM   #31

Update:
Thanks for all the good discussion. It's good to know there's a realiable place to go for advice on anything and everything.

Since SO has owned a saw for 25 years and this one is a replacement for the one that finally died, I think he wants to own one. We are hoping to start building some houses soon, which will probably involve much cutting up of smaller trees so I think it is still needed. Also he heats his home with wood, which he sometimes cuts himself.

The saw that finally died was a Craftsman. I think if I hadn't already bought the new Craftsman, I'd go for the Stihl, but... I don't have enough time to do another round of shopping and returning, so I'm going to stick with this for now - with the offer of a guilt-free exchange if he'd prefer.

We'll open our gifts to each other Thursday before we leave for skiing (I'm not hauling a danged chain saw to Canada! They'd probably make me pay duty to bring it back). So I'll get a report in ASAP. Thanks again