Challenges of retiring early

I learned a new term. Had to use my google fu

DIRE...Delay, Inherit, Retire, Expire

one of those terms is sort of out of your control. Well...2 if you count Expire

We moved 3 hours from our home area a couple years ago. It was surprisingly challenging. Our social circle was based on neighbors & school friends. It was very hard to give that up. I suspect we will move back at some point

I just did not have the 'change' and 'transition' issues that this guy did. Was pretty smooth for me. DW had more to adjust to than me and I had to find a new balance in home chores.

I just did not have the 'change' and 'transition' issues that this guy did. Was pretty smooth for me. DW had more to adjust to than me and I had to find a new balance in home chores.

ah home chores - I am definitely doing much more on the cooking, cleaning and laundry front since being retired. Still beats working....

I think the real challenge is retiring late.

I retired in 2003 at age 50 (partner was 51).

While we still have an active retirement with lots of international travel, golf, keeping up 2 homes (one in US, one in Mexico), there is no doubt we have more aches and pains and a tad less energy in our mid-60's than we did at age 50/51.

As someone else observed, he's talking a lot about the challenges of relocating, not retiring per se. I read elsewhere that only 5% of people move to another state after retiring, so he's in a small minority in that respect.

Relocating to a new location after retirement doesn't appeal to me at all. Have no desire to want to relocate and tackle the challenges that go along with that. Seems very stressful to me.

Relocating to a new location after retirement doesn't appeal to me at all. Have no desire to want to relocate and tackle the challenges that go along with that. Seems very stressful to me.

We moved at retirement, as we wanted to be out of a HCOL, plus didn't have a house to sell, plus wanted much warmer weather.
All of my family is up North still, but that is the only negative.
We make friends fairly easy.

Having moved a lot I have no desire to move in retirement. We have been here 22 years and have a nice group of friends. Don’t want to try to recreate that.

Great read, thanks for sharing.

It's like the dog that finally catches the car.

He looks like a full time blogger, so he isn't really retired ;)

He also appeared to really love his job, and underwent a cross country move in the first year - anyone here would say that's a bad idea.

Made me look. In the comments he tells someone who is worried about health insurance that his wife is working enough to get health insurance for the family. So classic “retired” blogger with working spouse.

Last edited:
He looks like a full time blogger, so he isn't really retired ;)

He also appeared to really love his job, and underwent a cross country move in the first year - anyone here would say that's a bad idea.

+1 To me, a full-time blogger is sort of what we used to call 'newspaper columnists' back in the day.

Agree as well that making any big moves in one's first year of retirement (a retirement real or imagined) is a mistake.

We moved at retirement, as we wanted to be out of a HCOL, plus didn't have a house to sell, plus wanted much warmer weather.
All of my family is up North still, but that is the only negative.
We make friends fairly easy.

I sure it works out very well for most, just like it did for you. For us not sure if we would be very good, at meeting new people, but I suppose we would. We love where we are at and like the west and enjoy being where we have lived all of our lives.

Glad for some it works out so well!

I tend to agree with him that people put forward the positive and downplay or under-report the negative things about their retired life. That's the nature of people, and it's amplified on social media.

My thoughts about his points, one by one...

#1. He says he's driven by goals and purpose, but yet he did not seem to have thought through the question of "What will be my goals and purpose, once I retire?" -- beyond writing and skiing. That seems like a pretty major oversight on his part.

It also sounds like, as a couple, they did not think through, in advance, what it would be like to shift from accumulating to spending down. Again, that's a pretty big oversight. One of the first things I learned about ER is that the people who do best in are the ones who prepare for it, by thinking these sort of issues through.

#2. He was very emotionally attached to his job and the people he worked with. I don't think most people headed for ER feel that way -- at least not to that degree.

And then 7 months later, they move to a completely new area. That meant not only saying goodbye to his beloved work and colleagues, but saying goodbye to a house full of memories, and saying goodbye to family and friends. That is a complete social uprooting and upheaval, and a huge amount of loss in a very short period of time. Most people would be plunged into grief by all that.

#3. Of course "life became chaotic." That's a massive reordering of your life in 7 months.

Then he says, "Yes became our default answer to every offer. In the process, we had little time for ourselves, our relationship and the activities we moved to the mountains for." When you divest yourself of a beloved job, colleagues, home, family, and friends within a short space of time, you are going to lose your sense of who you are and what you need. I'm not surprised they lost their bearings.

I'm a little surprised that he didn't anticipate that. He said he did lots of reading of ER blogs. Granted, most retirement blogs focus on the financial piece, not the emotional, social, or psychological pieces.

#4. He says he is "too busy." That's because he is saying "yes" to everything and has lost a sense of priorities. And that is because he abruptly tossed aside so much that gave his life direction, meaning, purpose, direction, satisfaction, attachment, etc. I mean, that is going to happen, if that's how you retire. It's like you're stripping yourself down, psychologically, to the bare minimum and expecting increased ski and blog time to compensate. That's not how people work.

#5. This is a good point -- that priorities won't change (e.g., if you're not volunteering now, chances are you won't be volunteering all that much after you're retired).

Overall, my sense is that he was prepared financially but completely unprepared psychologically. He greatly underestimated the impact of the losses he would incur and the challenges he would face.

And yeah, as someone already said, he's not really retired anyhow. He's working hard on being a writer. I wish him luck. He's not ready to write a book about how to retire, that's for sure.

Excellent analysis. I think there is not enough emphasis on non-financial preparation for retirement. Almost all of the articles, seminars, etc. are financially focused. Obviously the money is important but there are many other aspects to consider that a lot of people seem to miss. Not on this site so much, but in general.

Having sold my practice and "retired" 7 months ago (some of you will argue that I'm not really retired because I still work 12 hours a week), I can identify with some of what he said.

The thing that I took for granted was the structure and predictability to my life and my wife's life that my working gave us. Since selling the practice, that structure has been disrupted and we have yet to settle into a comfortable new flow to life.

My work schedule varies from week to week, sometimes I'll work 3 mornings in a week, sometimes it will be a mix of morning and afternoons. Sometimes it will be a full day and a half day, but the schedule is constantly in flux.

For my wife it has been very difficult. She used to help with the financial side of the practice and also watched our grand daughter 2 full days a week. Now she has no practice to deal with, and my DIL has become a stay at home mom so the 2 days of watching the grand daughter have come to an end.

Thrown into the mix is the fact that we also moved about 12 miles from where we were and decided to do an extensive renovation on the place.

All this has resulted in a stressful 7 months. The wife and I are arguing more, and she is now dealing with depression. We are working through this together and will figure it out, but I can certainly relate to some of what the blogger mentioned in his article.

The thing that I took for granted was the structure and predictability to my life and my wife's life that my working gave us. Since selling the practice, that structure has been disrupted and we have yet to settle into a comfortable new flow to life.

+1. Yes, this was exactly what my experience was. While not a 'problem' it was a bit disorienting for a while.

What?

I do not get this guy at all.50 hours a week that he use to work,gone,yet he has no time to do most of what he wants.He should actually post a daily diary of what he actually does in a normal week so we can understand this difficult life he now has.Makes no sense to me.
All the other stuff about moving and quitting your job are part of life.What did he expect?

Side Note : Can I Retire Yet? - Save More - Invest Smarter - Retire Sooner was originally created by Darrow Kirkpatrick who retired at 50. Darrow did some nice 'past' comparisons on Retirement Calculators which you can also find on the website.

At some point, I think Darrow outsourced the blogging duties to Chris Mamula.
I've been following this blog for a few years now. I prefer
Darrow's blogging style and comments whenever he has the time to make them.

I quit my job 3 years before I intended to at 62 years old, but my husband still works. (he's 64) So - I don't feel retired- just unemployed. I retired to just homemaking. It's not like I can travel the world and anyway, wouldn't have the money for it. Like they say- you either have the money and no time or time and no money. I have no friends or family nearby and we live in the woods, which has been a nice retreat to come home to when working.

When hubby retires, we have to try to sell the house and move (out of state)- a lot of work and time in itself. I hope to just be able to live in some kind of 55+ community and have a little time to go to the pool and gym and maybe an extra activity or event sometime.

I thought of doing a blog - I wish we could come up with something to make extra income from home- but I am so busy with just the everyday tasks that need to be done- cooking, shopping, cleaning, handling bills and finances. The day flies by now that I wake up at 6am instead of 4am. LOL!

We do have our 3 weeks of timeshares we enjoy. And we take a one week trip by plane every few years to a National Park area if we can afford it.

What else/how much do people think they will do every day? Hell- I worked for 46 years- why the hell do i have to do anything?

I don't find any problem with not working. Today we went to a wine tasting event with one of our clubs. We enjoyed small bites, wine, a musical performance, met a nice couple we made plans with to see again and I won two bottles of wine in a raffle.

I don't feel unfilled because I did that instead of an hour commute each way and 8 plus hours spent inside an office building working on projects with arbitrary and unrealistic deadlines.

I’m not type A and I retired from my job, not really to anything. Since I did not move away from family or the couple of good friends that I have, I’m not feeling the issues expressed in this article. The only concern I have about retirement is whether or not the money will last. For that, I’ve done all the planning I could and things look fine on paper. It’s just my nature to worry a bit about that. I will say, going from accumulating to deaccumulating is a change that we’re a little uncomfortable with, but that’s just because it’s our nature to be secure. Of course, in reality, there is nothing that is 100% secure so I’d have to deal with that anyway.

I enjoy not working. I do keep busy, but if I do nothing for a day or three, I’m good with that too. When people tell me I look better, more calm/relaxed, I know I’m on a better path. Coming up on my one year retirement anniversary and so far so good.

Jerry1's comment is exactly how I feel after rounding out the first year of retirement myself. I am enjoying early retirement (56) for sure. Some days are busy, some not. Some days are exciting and eventful, some aren't. That is ok - honestly work was like that for me as well.

I am still not fully comfortable with the financial aspects/accumulation vs. deaccumulation concept. I have been told that is alright too - that it will take a couple of years to see how all the mechanics kick in to really "see the plan working". Everything is fine on paper and I know with time I should get more comfortable.

I have and continue to get comments from folks on how much healthier/relaxed I look. I know I feel that myself. FIRE has been the right path for me. Ups and downs come with everything and require acknowledgement and adjustment I guess.

I moved right after retiring. Even 19 years later, my best friends still live in California. That's probably been the hardest part of FIRE, but as others note that's really a function of moving and not retiring.

Replacing the sense of accomplishment that wor,(at its best provides, is somewhat challenging. It took several tries before I found a volunteer activity, that was really rewarding.

But I sure don't miss the many negative aspects of work.

Back
Top Bottom