Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Thinking about a Ford Escape / Mazda / Kia Sorento
Old 02-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OK now the fun starts. I have chosen the car. For those interested here it is.

Kia Sorento LX, 4x2 (Whatever that means, I know it as a 2 wheel drive, rear not front had to accept that) 3.5L Manual Tranny (Sorry I am a Brit, we like our Manuals)

Options: Sports Package (Roof Rack, Keyless Entry Blah Blah Blah...), 4 Wheel ABS, Cloth Carpets, + Rubber All Weathers, Bug Screen.

Emailed a few dealers today. Let's see how the Internet pricing differs from the walk in shafting Sales Man's price. The biggest decision is whether to take the $2000 rebate and pay cash or take the 0.9% 36 months financing.

SWR

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
OK now the fun starts. I have chosen the car. For those interested here it is.

Kia Sorento LX, 4x2 (Whatever that means, I know it as a 2 wheel drive, rear not front* had to accept that) 3.5L Manual Tranny (Sorry I am a Brit, we like our Manuals)

Options: Sports Package (Roof Rack, Keyless Entry Blah Blah Blah...), 4 Wheel ABS, Cloth Carpets, + Rubber All Weathers, Bug Screen.

Emailed a few dealers today. Let's see how the Internet pricing differs from the walk in shafting Sales Man's price. The biggest decision is whether to take the $2000 rebate and pay cash or take the 0.9% 36 months financing.

SWR
Was the salesman trying to shaft you while you were driving all over the place asking for test drives. Now that it's time to pay they shouldn't make a living. Now you'll try to figure a way out of paying a salesman.

So your a Brit who's buying a Kia and trying to shaft the American salesman.

America is great isn't it.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:45 PM   #43

Re: Decided on a 2006 Kia Sorento (Sorry Ford)

Thanks for doing my legwork for me. You drove and reported on most of the vehicles I've been intersted in. Hope you'll come back and report on the Kia after you've had it a while.

Curious why you drove the Toyota RAV and 4 Runner but not the Highlander?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:21 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Thanks for doing my legwork for me. You drove and reported on most of the vehicles I've been intersted in. Hope you'll come back and report on the Kia after you've had it a while.

Curious why you drove the Toyota RAV and 4 Runner but not the Highlander?
The Highlander was a little too high in price. I was looking in the 19k - 25k range. And by the time I was done (in one day) I was only looking at cars that came with manual transmissions.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:21 AM   #45

73ss454, kinda harsh in your comments, but pray tell me, what is an American Car?

A CRV made in Canada or a Toyota made in the US?

Is Chrysler a German or an American company , and is Volvo(Ford) or Saab(GM), a foreign car??

I think that people who buy KIA's etc(not me) send a message, that the public wants a fuel efficient reliable vehicle that does not cost more than their house.

I have over $3,000 on a GM Card, a 13 year old potential trade in, but I go to the dealers and get sticker shock, which is also a function of ageing.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:26 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
Was the salesman trying to shaft you while you were driving all over the place asking for test drives. Now that it's time to pay they shouldn't make a living. Now you'll try to figure a way out of paying a salesman.

That is not how I look at it. I am trying to get the best deal for me. I am not responsible for the ridiculous method that is used to sell cars in this country. If they were allowed to make a decision on their own without running every minute to their manager, I would deal with them. They turn a 10 minute process into a 2 hour process. Who is going to pay the sales men/women of all the cars I looked at and did not decide on? And if you think I am shafting the sales person, it will never be as much as they were trying to shaft or have shafted me or others in the past. Oh, by the way I am an American too.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454

About time someone got the better of a car salesman/manager/dealer combo. Apologies to the good honest few. I do hate it when they won't shut up on a test drive. I want to concentrate on the car without the sales pitch.

Bruce
Old 02-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #48

Quote:
That is not how I look at it. I am trying to get the best deal for me. I am not responsible for the ridiculous method that is used to sell cars in this country. If they were allowed to make a decision on their own without running every minute to their manager, I would deal with them. They turn a 10 minute process into a 2 hour process. Who is going to pay the sales men/women of all the cars I looked at and did not decide on? And if you think I am shafting the sales person, it will never be as much as they were trying to shaft or have shafted me or others in the past. Oh, by the way I am an American too.
I'm with you that you should get the best price.

Seems that the only one turning the 10 minute process into 2 hours is you. If you are in a rush just pay the price the salesperson gives you and you'll be out in 10 minutes. Your the one who wants to haggle the price.

The dealer sets the price that the car is to be sold for. Most salespeople selling cars today get paid a flat commission, usually about $75.00 to sell the car. If the dealer let the salesperson set the price he/she would give away the store. Do you think that he/she cares what the dealer makes, he/she just wants the $75.00 and they move on.

This is why when you go into a dealer and speak to a salesperson and then go back 2 weeks later their gone. Very hard to make a living selling cars, I know I did it years ago.

Now that your retired why don't you get a job trying to sell cars. It's an easy job to get and it won't take you long to figure out that you won't want to do it. It will be a great experience for you.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:12 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

SWR, did you drive the larger Rav 4?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:46 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
SWR, did you drive the larger Rav 4?
I did not realize there was more than one. This is the one I looked at.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/toyo...ize/index.html

SWR
Old 02-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

Well worth the ten minute read.

I have absolutely no sympathy for car sales people or the sales managers. I usually tell them on the phone what we're going to do and how we're going to do it. I'm going to offer them the lowest prenegotiated price I can find, or what one of the national web sites like edmunds reports people are paying for the same car. If they take that price (and I tell them what it is), then fill out the paperwork, wash the car, and I'll be by to pick it up.

They dont have to sell me the car for that price. I'll gladly move to the next dealer with lower overhead or more desire to make a sale.

The very moment they start the shenanigans, I get up and leave. And I told them on the phone I'd do that. Nobody's surprised.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #52

For those of you that are complaining about car salesmen and the car sales process:

We have the system that we want, based on how we as a group spend our money. The up-front dealer with up-front sales prices and tactics is soon run out of business because Lucky Louie will undercut him by $50.

What amazes me is that people will get jacked around and then still do business with a slimebag dealer.

We don't want good dealer practices. Price is all that matters and we vote for that business model with our money again and again.

- You can't have it both ways
Old 02-06-2006, 12:13 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
- You can't have it both ways
The third way is to not buy cars from car dealers.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
I have absolutely no sympathy for car sales people or the sales managers. I usually tell them on the phone what we're going to do and how we're going to do it. I'm going to offer them the lowest prenegotiated price I can find, or what one of the national web sites like edmunds reports people are paying for the same car. If they take that price (and I tell them what it is), then fill out the paperwork, wash the car, and I'll be by to pick it up.
My approach as well. Nothing like walking off when the salesman starts pulling crap. Then watching as they run out the door to catch you as you pull off to let you know "my manager said we can do the deal as you requested after all".

Something about losing a profitable sale motivates them to agree to a lower sales price and a smaller level of profit for themselves.

It's funny how the salesman wants to splinter the negotiations for the car price, the extended warranty and the financing into three separate negotiations, so that you, the buyer, don't have as much leverage in each separate negotiation.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #55

Quote:
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

Well worth the ten minute read.

I have absolutely no sympathy for car sales people or the sales managers.* I usually tell them on the phone what we're going to do and how we're going to do it.* I'm going to offer them the lowest prenegotiated price I can find, or what one of the national web sites like edmunds reports people are paying for the same car.* If they take that price (and I tell them what it is), then fill out the paperwork, wash the car, and I'll be by to pick it up.

They dont have to sell me the car for that price.* I'll gladly move to the next dealer with lower overhead or more desire to make a sale.

The very moment they start the shenanigans, I get up and leave.* And I told them on the phone I'd do that.* Nobody's surprised.
If everyone bought cars that way life would also be great for the salesperson as well. *But that's not the case. *Many people turn it into a game and the shenanigans are usually started by the customer. *Do you think that people at any point think they have the best price.

I read that article a while back and it is a good read. *I think that SWR should invest 10 minutes.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
My approach as well. Nothing like walking off when the salesman starts pulling crap. Then watching as they run out the door to catch you as you pull off to let you know "my manager said we can do the deal as you requested after all".
Last time that happened, I yelled out the window "Thats nice, good bye...". Later when he called me at home and offered me a lower price, he discovered I had already taken his low price and gotten a lower one from a competitor.

Quote:
It's funny how the salesman wants to splinter the negotiations for the car price, the extended warranty and the financing into three separate negotiations, so that you, the buyer, don't have as much leverage in each separate negotiation.
Thats easy too. I tell the sales guy on the phone that I am not interested in any warranties, undercoating, trunk monkeys or any other extras beyond the plain car. No, i'm not willing to allow them to make me a proposition. Just have the paperwork done when I get there. And I'll be paying cash as well.

Although I did agree to listen to the lexus guys pitch on the extended warranty because he was a nice guy and didnt jerk me around, but it went for all of 30 seconds.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #57

Quote:
Last time that happened, I yelled out the window "Thats nice, good bye...".* Later when he called me at home and offered me a lower price, he discovered I had already taken his low price and gotten a lower one from a competitor.

Thats easy too.* I tell the sales guy on the phone that I am not interested in any warranties, undercoating, trunk monkeys or any other extras beyond the plain car.* No, i'm not willing to allow them to make me a proposition.* Just have the paperwork done when I get there.* And I'll be paying cash as well.

Although I did agree to listen to the lexus guys pitch on the extended warranty because he was a nice guy and didnt jerk me around, but it went for all of 30 seconds.
Are you trying to tell me that you bought a new Lexus without a Trunk Monkey.
I though you were a smart buyer.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I know...a very foolish move that will haunt me for many years...
Old 02-10-2006, 08:07 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Quote:
I did not realize there was more than one. This is the one I looked at.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/toyo...ize/index.html

SWR
The 2006 is larger than past models.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #60

Well would you believe I cannot get the model I want without waiting for a special order for 12 - 16 weeks!

All I want is a Kia Sorento LX 2wd 3.5L Manual with Sports Package (SP), ABS, and floor mats! Not much of a tall order you may think. Nooooooooo. All the ones are Either SP No Abs, or Abs No SP. Who would drive a car today without ABS?

You can get either the Base Model, 5sp Maual with nothing, or the EX with everything you don't need. A difference of almost $9K at the MSRP level. It is almost as if the dealers force you to but the car you really do not want. Not I.

This may send me back to the drawing board. I will be looking at the Suzuki Grand Vitera next. Basically I am trying to get a SUV for $20k or under + Tax and Title. Not too Easy. I wonder how many folk just give in and pay the dealer the extra for a bunch of crap they will never use?

SWR