Join Early Retirement Today

Changed Again, Now Trying for a Saturn VUE (Sorry Kia & Ford)
Old 02-01-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Changed Again, Now Trying for a Saturn VUE (Sorry Kia & Ford)

Hi All:

Anyone got any info, reviews or experience on this car? I have heard good, bad, recalls, etc. anyone actually got one?

Thanks

SWR
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Thinking of Getting a Ford Escape / Mazda Tribute
Old 02-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well on the plus side they are fun to drive and reletively cheap to buy. For a SUV they get decent gas mileage.

On the minus side, they had lots of recalls on the early ones. They aren't exactly the safest vehicle to ride in.

Here's a link to a bunch of reviews from owners:

http://www.carsurvey.org/review_81842.html

read some of the reviews of the 2002-2001 models to temper your enthusiasm
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Biggest problem is the rollover risk in a colission. That alone is enough for me to look elsewhere, consider the plethora of small SUV choices.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:30 AM   #4

rollover risk in this class of SUV is very high. It's not just the Escape.

It's due to the high center of gravity and the narrow track that causes rollovers under severe manuevers.

Many small SUV's will have similar characteristics.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
rollover risk in this class of SUV is very high. It's not just the Escape.

It's due to the high center of gravity and the narrow track that causes rollovers under severe manuevers.

Many small SUV's will have similar characteristics.
Not the Forrester, AFAIK.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I looked at one for Mrs CFB when they first came out.

Nice to drive. Awful reliability record. My other concurrent Ford experience (Expedition) hasnt been very good either. Ended up buying her a Rav4. Would have a serious look at that and the CRV for something else in the same size and price range that wont have you bucking to the dealership once a month for warranty work.

By the way, the Rav and Honda with a 4 banger have almost the same pickup as the escape with the v6, with way better gas mileage. I found the v6's in the small suv's, such as the escape, hyundai and suzuki, to be red herrings. None of them really had much kick but they all lost 4-5mpg vs the 4-cylinder only trucks.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

We have been driving a Mazda Tribute for 4 years now and are very pleased with it. Had 1 recall during that time but have never had any major problems with the vehicle.
Targeting40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:07 AM   #8

Bought a new 2001 with every accessory except FWD and sunroof.* Plenty of first year problems'
*Cruise control out twice
*Back half of tranny replaced (with 20 miles left on warranty-whew)
*Tailgate would not latch correctly
*Front brakes out at 55K. That is way early for us.
Other than the brakes it was all warranty stuff and most of which has apparently been fixed in later years.
Lots of road and wind noise, but that may have been engineered out by now.* Gas mileage has run around 26MPG on highway 75MPH and AC on.
Comfy interior and very functional.* The big sound system is worth the bucks.* Decent power from the V6 and I'd dispute the thought about the 4's being equal.
It now has 60K (has been given to DS) and has been trouble free since the warranty went away.* I've heard that the 05/06's are much more refined. If that is true, I'd probably spring for another, but I'd check out the Pontiac Torrent also.

Lots of info here:
http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Decent power from the V6 and I'd dispute the thought about the 4's being equal.
Note I was comparing the v6 in the escape (and others) to other cars that are only equipped with four cylinder engines.

I drove the honda 4 cyl, rav4 4 cyl and the escape v6 within hours of each other. Slightly better kick from the v6 but nothing to write home about. Much lower EPA mileage...18 city for the escape, 23 city for the honda, 24 city for the rav. Our severely stop and go, around town mileage runs in the mid 20's.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:45 AM   #10

The other factor when comparing an Escape to a RAV4 is price. The street price on the Escape is probably two thirds the price of a similarly equiped RAV4. Or another way to look at it, The loaded Escape is probably the same cost as the stripped RAV4.

- getting back to Safety and small SUVs - Why do you think they called it the Escape ?*
Old 02-01-2006, 09:51 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
- getting back to Safety and small SUVs - Why do you think they called it the Escape ?
Well, they wanted to drop the Bronco line after the OJ simpson thing and try to separate themselves from that whole situation and image.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The other factor when comparing an Escape to a RAV4 is price. The street price on the Escape is probably two thirds the price of a similarly equiped RAV4. Or another way to look at it, The load Escape is probably the same cost as the stripped RAV4.
You know what, I thought the rav cost more too, but on looking at the manufacturers web site, a stripped rav (thats still pretty well equipped) is $20,300 and the escape is $19,995. Both loaded with every conceivable option price out at RAV $25,495 and Escape at $26,975. Note the escape has a $2000 cash back while the rav almost never has any sort of rebates.

My dad bought his about a year ago and he paid just about $20k for his, very well equipped. Ours has leather, moonroof, automatic, tinted glass, the rear spoiler, and the upgraded stereo. We paid ~$22k for it.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Bought a new 2001 with every accessory except FWD and sunroof.
http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/
So yours is a 2 Wheel Drive Model? I would get a V6 but I prefer a manual trans. So I would be stuck with the 2.4l What is it like in Snow if you have any, from the nice sunny photo it looks like you may not. the manual is probably similar to the V6 Auto if driven properly. I will try them both.

Is the Mazda and the Ford IDENTICAL?

Thanks

SWR
Old 02-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
Note I was comparing the v6 in the escape (and others) to other cars that are only equipped with four cylinder engines.

I drove the honda 4 cyl, rav4 4 cyl and the escape v6 within hours of each other.* Slightly better kick from the v6 but nothing to write home about.* Much lower EPA mileage...18 city for the escape, 23 city for the honda, 24 city for the rav.* Our severely stop and go, around town mileage runs in the mid 20's.
My wife and I have 03 escape limiteds, Pretty happy with both. Minor problems were taken care of under warranty. She got hers first and we drove the rav 4 and forester before buying. I liked hers so I bought one too. The escape is bigger, and I'd have to disagree with our bunny, I though the escape had lots more power. Plus they can pull 3500lb, not important for some though. I have a utility trailer and a boat to pull around. I had a Subaru outback before my escape and I'd say at this point the escape has been more reliable for me, and maintenance is way cheaper. Our mpg is about 23-24 in summer and 20-21 in winter. The expected resale is worse on the escape though. Good luck with whatever you purchase.....shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Anyone got experience with a 2.4l Manual Transmission Model. From a Power Perspective. Also what is a 2 wheel drive like versus an AWD version to drive and use that is. I am replacing my trusty old Bronco II that I have owned since new 1988. It has reached the point where the transmission Synchro is starting to go and I do not think it is worth the $1000 to fix it. It is a Manual 4 wheel. And in the snow and ice or rain, it is a disaster because it is so light up the back. In 4WD it is great. It also had a 2.9l Manual and was always under powered. Oh and from a space perspective it is about the same size a a Bronco II? I do not really want anything smaller from a cargo perspective.

Ian
Old 02-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Anyone got experience with a 2.4l Manual Transmission Model.* From a Power Perspective. Also what is a 2 wheel drive like versus an AWD version to drive and use that is. I am replacing my trusty old Bronco II that I have owned since new 1988. It has reached the point where the transmission Synchro is starting to go and I do not think it is worth the $1000 to fix it. It is a Manual 4 wheel. And in the snow and ice or rain, it is a disaster because it is so light up the back. In 4WD it is great. It also had a 2.9l Manual and was always under powered. Oh and from a space perspective it is about the same size a a Bronco II?* I do not really want anything smaller from a cargo perspective.

Ian
Sounds like your driving may be a bit rougher than ours.* Snow is that white stuff, right?* I remember a few winter/off road discussions on the site I mentioned above.* You ought to check them out.* The escape is based on the ford ranger pickup, so it won't be as tough as a bronco or a wrangler.* The Nissan exterra (sp?) is a pretty capable vehicle as well.*
Old 02-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #17

We have a 2001 CRV, runs of gas fumes, has been extremely reliable, great in the snow, and the price is good.

100,000 miles on it, I just change the oil every 4,000.

Subaru are nice but much more expensive.

We live in Snow country, my wife is a Nurse and is on the roads before the Snow Ploughs.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
getting back to Safety and small SUVs - Why do you think they called it the Escape ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
Well, they wanted to drop the Bronco line after the OJ Simpson thing and try to separate themselves from that whole situation and image.
I guess I left too much room on that one, or it just wasnt that funny/ironic...
Old 02-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #19

JPatrick--I hate errors so I had to post. It is an irrelevant error, but the Escape, as with most of the micro SUV's, is based on a car platform.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
JPatrick--I hate errors so I had to post.* It is an irrelevant error, but the Escape, as with most of the micro SUV's, is based on a car platform.*
You are right that it is not a pickup chassis, but it is not a car platform either.* The platform was a Mazda/Ford project making it unique to the escape.* Yes they made it more car like and took components from car designs, but they didn't swap one body for another as is commonly done.* Now I've got to figure what vehicle I was thinking of.* An early model explorer maybe