Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Changing the balance of quality of life and financial independence
Old 03-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah they knew. Check it out...go to their site, choose 'sell' on a fund and the first page that comes up has you choose the redemption amount and type...pick 'wire' and it'll put up a drop-down box of the bank accounts you've already registered with them...and a blurb that says that if the bank in question is not in the drop-down box, that it'll be 10 days for them to work it out.

They did say that if they faxed me a form, my wife and I could sign it, have it medallion stamped and overnight it to them, and they might be able to do it in a day or two.

"Uhh..hello? Can my wife leave the emergency room for a couple of hours to go sit at the bank to get a form signed so our brokerage will give us our money?"

*I'm* a moron for not doing it last week like I planned. Every time I've tried to move a lot of money within or outside of vanguard, it does take a lot of time. They're not a bank and they like things to move slowly with plenty of paperwork.

I feel like a money launderer at this point. Somewhere in DC a homeland security guy has a screaming red beacon going off on his screen.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:58 PM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I feel like a money launderer at this point. Somewhere in DC a homeland security guy has a screaming red beacon going off on his screen.
Eh, tell 'em that the Lexus, the house, and the contractors are your own personal jihad against LBYM and a conservative SWR-- you're single-handedly keeping the economy afloat through the subprime-mortgage crisis.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:02 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Hey, if they didnt drop by for a visit after paying off my (then) girlfriends mortgage in cash because I got ticked at the mortgage company for not dropping her PMI after 7 years of good payments...

"oh, you dont want to drop the PMI for a good paying customer? How about you get no PMI *and* no interest on the money anymore?"

By the way, paying off your girlfriends mortgage is a clear signal to her that you're getting serious...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:23 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I kinda like the delay feature on any account with hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars in it. The idea of someone getting my info and draining my accounts is pretty scary. Passing the transfer through a regular bank seems safer to me. My regular bank wouldn't allow an immediate large EFT to a new source but they know me so I could call them and arrange it.

Are you guys comfortable with banks immediately establishing new external linked accounts online?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #145
Give me a forum ...

when its to an escrow account established in my name...yes.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Change of subject...a minor item that amused me greatly. Contrasting where I used to live and where we're going to live.

We left our current place last week, stopped at a store. Couldnt put gabe down while I was breaking out the stroller as there was a bunch of broken miller lite bottles all over the parking lot. Later as we drove up the main road from the highway at our new town, theres an empty red wine bottle sitting off to the side of the road...didnt catch the label but it didnt look like glen ellen.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Contrasting where I used to live and where we're going to live.
Similar story: I hosted a "Cops n 40's" night at my house last month (you know, the kind of event where you watch a dozen cops episodes while drinking the cheapest malt liquor you can find from 40 oz bottles?). My buddy bought the 40's for the party. My buddy is used to shopping at the high end stores where he lives in the high end suburbs. He stopped at the ghetto grocery store in my neighborhood and was AMAZED at the sheer quantity and wide selection of 40 oz malt beverages available. Guess you can't get good 40 oz malt liquor in the nice suburbs.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cops and 40's?? My world has just been expanded!

Yeah, that's strategic marketing for you!

Dude, we so need to party.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Cops and 40's?? My world has just been expanded!

Yeah, that's strategic marketing for you!

Dude, we so need to party.
Synergies at their best.

After we finished watching the Cops, we went out back and shot stuff with my BB pistol. Laurence, let me know next time you're in Raleigh - I'll get a couple extra 40's for you!
Old 03-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #150
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Latest Bay Area stats:

http://www.dqnews.com/RRBay0307.shtm

Hmm, it looks like you would have been better off investing in just about anything else for the last year....
Actually the "median" person made 18.5% on his down payment in Marin!
I know in my local market I did way better than that. Unfortunately alot of people let their decisions be overly influenced by "medians".

My county is showing a slight increase in appreciation and that figure is held down by all the new construction in the new neighborhoods. I never suggest buying there.

As long as I get the 11% annual average appreciation per year I'm happy. You got a better place to get 18.5% in a slow year?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Hey justin, I hope you guys had your shirts off and a red sunburn that'd set off a geiger counter, just in case you got arrested and ended up on cops...

Anyone actually finish TWO 40's? On the rare occasion I've imbibed, I get a headache about 2/3 of the way through the first one.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
Actually the "median" person made 18.5% on his down payment in Marin!

You got a better place to get 18.5% in a slow year?
Oh, yeah. I forgot all about the one-trick pony's Miracle of Leverage. Could you tell us, Mr. Miracle, how that leverage affected the median Contra Costa county buyer last year? (Hint: -27% return on 20% down.)

Look, I wish you the best of luck on your real estate investments. Personally, I have to look at the gains of the Bay Area in the last 10 years, and I see an area that was the epicenter of two bubbles: first the dot-com bubble (1996-2000) directly followed by the liquidity-fueled housing bubble (2001-2006).

I think it would be cool to see the Bay Area floated by another bubble. Or two. Or one hundred. I'm just not willing to bet on it. Really good luck to you.

Let's revisit this topic in the next 5-10 years, OK?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #153

Quote:
Hey justin, I hope you guys had your shirts off and a red sunburn that'd set off a geiger counter, just in case you got arrested and ended up on cops...

Anyone actually finish TWO 40's? On the rare occasion I've imbibed, I get a headache about 2/3 of the way through the first one.
Not to interrupt Honobob's flexing of his investing prowess muscle, but yeah! I finished my two 40's - then had a 16 oz glass of Long Island Iced Tea. I felt like I had been on cops when I woke up the next day. Not sure if it was the two 40's or the LIT that gave me the headache though... I definitely realized that I can't drink like I'm still in high school...

My buddy also finished his two. I thought we were going to get arrested (or shot) when my neighbor Cletis came out at midnight to see what we were shooting and hollerin' about. I'm sure he was toting his gun, too.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #154
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab

Let's revisit this topic in the next 5-10 years, OK?
Why not just look back at the last 30 years?

All of Contra Costa will bounce back. In fact the Walnut Creak area is up and experiencing multiple offers again. It's the McMansion people that are screwing up the figures. Just say no to McMansions.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
It's the McMansion people that are screwing up the figures. Just say no to McMansions.
They just want a piece of your 18.5% pie. Won't you be happy if you get 9.25% and they get 9.25%?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #156
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
They just want a piece of your 18.5% pie. Won't you be happy if you get 9.25% and they get 9.25%?
Actually I said it was 50% of the Marin people that made the 18.5%. Seems so easy a caveman could do it. I actually made better YOY but I don't count the yearly spikes. I look at it long term which has been 11%.

What I bought in Honolulu 2003 and 2004 have averaged 15% & 19% annual appreciation. I expect that to drop to my 30 year experience of 9%. Now if Wab could validate his price predicting ability then I could jump in and out when I'm 50% YOY appreciated.

Then again, maybe I'll drink a couple 40oz. "malt beverages" and work on my predicting abilities. :
Old 03-21-2007, 12:28 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Look you guys, I'm quite capable of fricking up my own thread...can we get back to talking about odd drinks and shooting stuff in our backyards?

Long islands wont hurt you if you use the good booze. Dang painful if you go with the cheap stuff. That malt licker will kill ya though.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:05 AM   #158

Quote:
Look you guys, I'm quite capable of fricking up my own thread...can we get back to talking about odd drinks and shooting stuff in our backyards?
Just think of this as our tastes-great less-filling debate. Sort of our traveling comedy routine across multiple threads.

wab: Housing Bubble!
bobo: Great Investment!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #159

Quote:

Long islands wont hurt you if you use the good booze. Dang painful if you go with the cheap stuff. That malt licker will kill ya though.
Honobob, what kind of returns would you say I got if I bought my house with a 125% LTV loan (I cashed out 25% of the purchase price), and now my house went up in value 59% in three years? I wish I had a caveman and/or some 40's to help me calculate that rate of return.

I realized this thread is worthless w/o pictures.

[img width=750 height=562]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r132/justinsmith5100/IMG_9378.jpg[/img]

[img width=750 height=562]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r132/justinsmith5100/IMG_9379.jpg[/img]

Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Absoloootely!

[img width=750 height=562]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/cutefuzzybunny/Gabe2yearsold017.jpg[/img]

[img width=750 height=562]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/cutefuzzybunny/Gabe2yearsold016.jpg[/img]