Chapala video

During one of my visits to Guadalajara several years ago, I heard that Lake Chapala has receded so much that "lakeside" home were at the time over 100 yards from the water. Did I hear wrong? Am I totally off base (well, yes, but I mean on this point)? Or did someone take steps to help the lake fill up again? It certainly looked like it had plenty of water in the video.

Lake Chapala has cycles and it is a very shallow lake.

Since we first started coming here in 1993, we have seen it in drought periods and in high water times. The differences can be staggering.

At one point during a drought cycle, one could walk out almost a mile before hitting water. Squatters had shacks out there, horses and cows were grazing, and futbol goals were built in several places so the kids could play soccer. People in the local churches prayed to the Virgin to make it rain and to 'bring back our life here at the lake.'

Those who owned property and had purchased at a time when the lake was 'up' began bemoaning their decision to live here. But then the lake came back up and all was well once again.

Right now, the lake is up and it's gorgeous.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
The Adventurer's Guide to Chapala Living

Back
Top Bottom