Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Charitable donations pre- and post-FI/RE
Old 09-13-2005, 06:49 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Whatever lets you guys sleep at night.* Go for it.* But don't try and convince me that I should admire your principled stand, because I don't.* I'm sure the folks who lost everything, some including their loved ones, appreciate the "charity" you've already shown.

Give or don't give.* I don't give a d*#n, but spare us the self righteousness.

BTW, I am from New Orleans.* My dad lives there and rode out the storm and managed to get on a relief flight plane while New Orleans was still under water.
... don't try to convince me to admire your inability to take care of yourself either (exampled by the fact that you're implying you actually need help). I've saved enough to be unemployeed for a few years myself. If you choose to live a life that's not proactive, don't come whining to me.

Also, the next time you evacuate, maybe consider taking your dad with you.* *There's no way in the world i would have left my dad behind in there, regardless of what he said.* *I love him too much.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2005, 06:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Geez Az...seem a bit disgruntled as of late
Attempting to judge emotions from type is risky business.* *Actually, that initial post of mine had no emotion at all.* I was just telling the truth and responding to the thread starter.* It looked like he was surveying what people did, and that's what i do.

Seriously, you and maybe others here really dont realize a portion of federal and state taxes, a big portion in fact, do go to charitable programs.* So if i bring in 110-120K dollars and i'm in a high marginal tax rate, then i'm doing more than my fair share of supporting such programs;* certainly more than an ER that isnt making anything, sitting on his laurels everyday (exception of course being ER's who are devoting that free time to charitable work.).

Both my spouse and I work in public service fields. My wife is a social worker making about what social workers make helping troubled teens and my job is protecting the environment. I have no trouble living with the fact that we contribute plenty.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
Attempting to judge emotions from type is risky business.* *Actually, that initial post of mine had no emotion at all.* I was just telling the truth and responding to the thread starter.* It looked like he was surveying what people did, and that's what i do.

Seriously, you and maybe others here really dont realize a portion of federal and state taxes, a big portion in fact, do go to charitable programs.* So if i bring in 110-120K dollars and i'm in a high marginal tax rate, then i'm doing more than my fair share of supporting such programs;* certainly more than an ER that isnt making anything, sitting on his laurels everyday (exception of course being ER's who are devoting that free time to charitable work.).

Both my spouse and I work in public service fields.* My wife is a social worker making about what social workers make helping troubled teens and my job is protecting the environment.* *I have no trouble living with the fact that we contribute plenty.* *
Very good post azanon.

JG
Old 09-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Very good post azanon.
JG
JG -

Good post for you too. If only because I find it humorous to see the "anti-government, free-for-all, Ayn Rand" character in agreement with the EPA bureaucrat.

In any event, I find "keeping up with the joneses" (or not) w.r.t. charitable donations disturbing, in a way.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:48 AM   #25

Quote:
....in agreement with the EPA bureaucrat.
JG guessed USFWS in the past, and you're guessing the EPA.* *I'm glad to see you guys aren't for sure where i work yet, cause i dont want my boss getting called!* *

Some days, like yesterday, i dont post at all cause honestly I do get real busy at work at times and don't have the time to post, much less read the forum.* I guess its like a lot of jobs in that some days are real heavy, and some days aren't.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:07 AM   #26

Quote:
JG guessed USFWS in the past, and you're guessing the EPA.* *I'm glad to see you guys aren't for sure where i work yet, cause i dont want my boss getting called!* *

Ha knows! (Not sure about the "Whistler")

Old 09-13-2005, 08:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Ha knows! (Not sure about the "Whistler")
I hope not! :
Old 09-13-2005, 08:53 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... don't try to convince me to admire your inability to take care of yourself either (exampled by the fact that you're implying you actually need help). I've saved enough to be unemployeed for a few years myself. If you choose to live a life that's not proactive, don't come whining to me.

Also, the next time you evacuate, maybe consider taking your dad with you. There's no way in the world i would have left my dad behind in there, regardless of what he said. I love him too much.
I found nothing Austin Explorer said to be in the least bit "whining".

He also didn't say that he currently lived in New Orleans.

He didn't ask for help and I found no request implied.

As you say Azanon, it is difficult to read emotions from what is written here, but you sure come across as bitter and cold hearted at times. I hesitated to say this, but I personally believe you were unfair to Austin Explorer.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:11 AM   #29

Quote:
I hesitated to say this, but I personally believe you were unfair to Austin Explorer.
I think he was unfair and judgemental with me, and what i said was, as a result, warranted.* I dont take being called self-righteous very kindly, expecially when i did or said nothing to deserve that.* Also, he made comments about "how do i sleep at night".**

As i have said once now, i was simply truthfully answering the original poster's pseduo survey as to how I handle charities.* *I gave an honest (not self-righteous) answer.

Your viewing me of bitter and cold-hearted, at times, is only from the perspective that you maybe find youself in.* I believe in a lot of things that might be view as bitter and cold-hearted by some;* such as darwinism and natural selection.* *I'm also an agnostic.

I saw last night on TV the estimate of all personal (non-government) donations for hurricane relief was approximately 750million dollars.* * There are aprroximately 200-300 million people in the US.* *Do the math.

I'm really not bitter though Martha, i'm just very systematic in the way i go about things. I'm an INTJ too, so that might explain some of it. Really, like so many of us, i never seem to have enough money to do all the things I want to do. I feel like i have many weeks in which i'm really having to skimp by to get everything paid for. I almost have to chuckle at the thought or notion that i'm actually doing so well, that i can throw down serious money towards hurricane katrinia (over and above the amount i give indirectly via federal and state governments).
Old 09-13-2005, 09:35 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

REW:

I'm sure you're very proud of your SIL. Surely a man who cares for the well-being of thousands will take good care of your daughter.

From what I read others here donate, I would say we (DH and I) are very generous. But (trying not to drag religion into this), we try not to consider our money "our own." See the example of my parents and IL's. Own parents have very good paying professional jobs, and also have been very blessed in investments. Don't consider 10% the minimum, but rather they figure we need this much to live (and they live simply)... and so are very, very generous. For them, it's been a loaves and fishes experience over and over. Give ... and receive tenfold - how do you explain it otherwise?

Mom says... you can only eat one steak at a time, you can only wear one pair of shoes at a time. How much does an individual man need? The whole huge world to my small neighborhood is better when man's heart is giving.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think he was unfair and judgemental with me, and what i said was, as a result, warranted. I dont take being called self-righteous very kindly, expecially when i did or said nothing to deserve that. Also, he made comments about "how do i sleep at night".
If that is the case, doesn't it make more sense to respond on point, by saying that it is unfair to call someone self righteous simply because they chose not to contribute to charities because they think they are doing enough by paying taxes?

Quote:

Your viewing me of bitter and cold-hearted, at times, is only from the perspective that you maybe find youself in. I believe in a lot of things that might be view as bitter and cold-hearted by some; such as darwinism and natural selection. I'm also an agnostic.
I too am agnostic. I think natural selection is supported by science. But yes, my impression clearly comes from my perspective.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:44 AM   #32

Quote:
But (trying not to drag religion into this), we try not to consider our money "our own." *See the example of my parents and IL's. Own parents have very good paying professional jobs, and also have been very blessed in investments.
I see you as very modest and humble, not necessarily blessed. *You give the credit of you and your spouses, as well as your parents hard work that paid off, to God when, in fact, it was actually you guys that earned it.

If God was, indeed, the reason why you succeeded and continue to succeed, then how in the world do you explain people like me?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:46 AM   #33

Quote:
If that is the case, doesn't it make more sense to respond on point, by saying that it is unfair to call someone self righteous simply because they chose not to contribute to charities because they think they are doing enough by paying taxes?
I was on point, but that response wouldn't have been near as harsh and rude as his original comment. Since i was defending myself, I thought my response, as a baseline, should have been at least as harsh as his.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was on point, but that response wouldn't have been near as harsh and rude as his original comment. Since i was defending myself, I thought my response, as a baseline, should have been at least as harsh as his.
This is where we disagree.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:53 AM   #35

Quote:
This is where we disagree.
If someone insisted that i pick the one thing that has made me successful in life, i'd choose my willingness and courage to stand up for myself; alone if necessary.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:10 AM   #36

Quote:
If someone insisted that i pick the one thing that has made me successful in life, i'd choose my willingness and courage to stand up for myself;* alone if necessary.
Ditto, in fact I prefer to go it alone.

JG
Old 09-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #37

Quote:
I see you as very modest and humble, not necessarily blessed. *You give the credit of you and your spouses, as well as your parents hard work that paid off, to God when, in fact, it was actually you guys that earned it.

If God was, indeed, the reason why you succeeded and continue to succeed, then how in the world do you explain people like me?
"Modest and humble".................2 words that have never ever been used to
describe me.

JG
Old 09-13-2005, 10:24 AM   #38

Quote:
I think he was unfair and judgemental with me, and what i said was, as a result, warranted.* I dont take being called self-righteous very kindly, expecially when i did or said nothing to deserve that.* Also, he made comments about "how do i sleep at night".**

As i have said once now, i was simply truthfully answering the original poster's pseduo survey as to how I handle charities.* *I gave an honest (not self-righteous) answer.

Your viewing me of bitter and cold-hearted, at times, is only from the perspective that you maybe find youself in.* I believe in a lot of things that might be view as bitter and cold-hearted by some;* such as darwinism and natural selection.* *I'm also an agnostic.

I saw last night on TV the estimate of all personal (non-government) donations for hurricane relief was approximately 750million dollars.* * There are aprroximately 200-300 million people in the US.* *Do the math.

I'm really not bitter though Martha, i'm just very systematic in the way i go about things.* *I'm an INTJ too, so that might explain some of it.* *Really, like so many of us, i never seem to have enough money to do all the things I want to do.* I feel like i have many weeks in which i'm really having to skimp by to get everything paid for.* *I almost have to chuckle at the thought or notion that i'm actually doing so well, that i can throw down serious money towards hurricane katrinia (over and above the amount i give indirectly via federal and state governments).
An "INTJ agnostic"? That's great! ..................if you were a bit more thickskinned you could
apply for membership in the John Galt Rangers. You get a neato badge
and a giant rubber finger which can be used to "give the bird" to libs
and such.

JG
Old 09-13-2005, 10:43 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
... don't try to convince me to admire your inability to take care of yourself either (exampled by the fact that you're implying you actually need help).* I've saved enough to be unemployeed for a few years myself.* *If you choose to live a life that's not proactive, don't come whining to me.
No one in my family is asking for a dime from you, nor from anyone else. *Unlike many in the area, our family has the means to get their lives back in order. *I don't know of a single one in a public shelter or having received any of the FEMA checks and cards being handed out.

I've not lived a single day on unemployment, even when between jobs and haven't mooched off my parents since I moved out years ago. *I've never received government aid or charitable relief of any kind. *I think by most calculations that constitutes "taking care of myself".

My rant, and I'll admit that it was that, was not to get money for my family (we don't need it), but to call to attention that there are many who have lost everything and now have nothing but the clothes on their back. *Even the FEMA money will do little in and of itself to get them even remotely back to where they were. *It's pretty easy to be smug when your house is dry and in one piece and you've neither lost many members of your family or have been separated from them and have no idea if they are still living.

Current tax money is already spent on more programs than the taxes cover, so I think it is naive to think that the government can just do all of the work and that current taxes are more than enough to do the job. *Private citizens stepping in and filling in the gaps was critical, and donations (time and money) are the way to get that done.

Quote:
Also, the next time you evacuate, maybe consider taking your dad with you.* *There's no way in the world i would have left my dad behind in there, regardless of what he said.* *I love him too much.
This is great. *You accuse me of abandoning my father. *That's rich. *I live in AUSTIN, TX. *And when the storm was getting ready to make landfall I was even farther away in Pennsylvania for training. *When I called and tried to convince him to leave he refused saying he didn't think it would be that bad. *I've already told him that if he doesn't get his arse out in the future I will come down there and drag him out myself. *I think he learned his lesson, but then he's old and set in his ways. *So the jury's still out on that one.

All of my other relatives had the sense to get out before the storm hit and no they didn't abandon him since they're on a different side of the family tree and have no contact with him so they were in no position to help.

So in summary, no I am not unable to care for myself nor are any members of my family (with the exception of the DUMB decision my dad made to try and stick it out, but then some might consider that an example of courage to stand on his own) and no, I did not abandon my family.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:44 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca
I'm now the person on the block who collects from the neighbors, instead of contributing money to fund a senior citizens monthly luncheon at our church, I work at the luncheon cooking, serving cleaning up - also Habitat for Humunity once or twice a week plus many volunteer opportunties throughout the church.
Welcome to the board, Becca!

Can you tell me more about what you do at your local chapter of Habitat for Humanity? *How did you get involved and what did you do on your first day?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote