Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Charitable donations pre- and post-FI/RE
Old 09-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
This is where we disagree.*
I think AzAnon has accurately described who he is, whether intentional or not.

Many guesses about which government agency he works for. I'd have to lean toward high up in FEMA at this point.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
If someone insisted that i pick the one thing that has made me successful in life, i'd choose my willingness and courage to stand up for myself; alone if necessary.
All right, now I'm confused, weren't you lamenting having to live a lie just to get along with everyone else and go with the crowd where you live re: religion? Earlier you attributed your success in large part to your ability to tell people what they want to hear and blend in. You said this was a needed evil. Have you since come out of the closet? I would think your freedom of (non)religion being trampled by your coworkers/associates would be a fine opportunity to stand up for yourself, and a critical time to do it.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:12 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey Austin:

I'm so sorry to hear that your family live(d) in New Orleans and has endured so much. *It's wonderful that they are safe and can care for themselves but, based upon my experience with the Oakland Hills fire, I know that this type of devastation destroys your ability to see the world as ordered, managable, and above all, FAIR. *It takes a LONG time to get over that feeling.

What is worse, this feeling that the world has been tilted on its axis can be impossible to explain to those who haven't shared it -- similar (though not the same as) a soldier's experience of combat *Those, like myself, who've never been in combat just cannot KNOW -- and the same is probably true for those outside the disaster zone. *Their "just world" belief has not been challenged and in all charity, I hope it never will be.

The bad news is that some people are going to appear callous and uncaring as a result. *(They may well BE callous and uncaring people.) They may suggest that the government can do everything despite incontrovertible evidence that government on all levels failed badly in this instance.

You have enough on your mind -- don't let it get to you.

The GOOD news is that there are literally millions of people across the country who have donated money, donated supplies and clothing, donated their time, and added their prayers and good wishes to the mix. *In New Orleans and across the state, individual acts of heroism were performed.*The government came out pretty badly here, but MOST of the American people look pretty good right now. *There are small success stories and kindnesses everywhere.

Focusing on them may be of some help as we recover, examine what went wrong, and work to make it right.

Best of luck to you and all of those you care about,
Caroline *

Old 09-13-2005, 03:18 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Welcome to the board, Becca!

Can you tell me more about what you do at your local chapter of Habitat for Humanity? *How did you get involved and what did you do on your first day?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:23 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sorry Nords, I don't know how to do this quote thing - but to answer your question about Habitat --

We orginally got involved through our church which had banded together with other local churches to build a house. You should be able to contact your local Habitat chapter if you would like to volunteer. You should be able to locate a local chapter by doing a search on the internet. They usually have opportunities to work both during the week or weekend - whatever suits your schedule and you can work one day a week, month or whatever. Our son has also gotten involved through his college chapter which is planning a spring break trip to LA/MISS to rebuild from Katrina - and his college is giving participants elective credits for this!
Old 09-13-2005, 03:39 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Best of luck to you and all of those you care about,
Caroline
Thanks for the kind words Caroline!
Old 09-13-2005, 11:05 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca
Sorry Nords, I don't know how to do this quote thing - but to answer your question about Habitat --

We orginally got involved through our church which had banded together with other local churches to build a house.* You should be able to contact your local Habitat chapter if you would like to volunteer.* You should be able to locate a local chapter by doing a search on the internet.* They usually have opportunities to work both during the week or weekend - whatever suits your schedule and you can work one day a week, month or whatever.* Our son has also gotten involved through his college chapter which is planning a spring break trip to LA/MISS to rebuild from Katrina - and his college is giving participants elective credits for this!
I have the schedule of the local chapter, but I'm wondering what a new volunteer is assigned to do.

What exactly did you do on your first day? Haul trash, fill water cups, fetch tools? Or did you tape drywall? Were you assigned to follow around a more experienced volunteer or Habitat staff member? Or were you working independently?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:05 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
What exactly did you do on your first day? Haul trash, fill water cups, fetch tools? Or did you tape drywall? Were you assigned to follow around a more experienced volunteer or Habitat staff member? Or were you working independently?
Nords, I'm not Becca but on our first day we did framing. The more experienced people were marking 2x6 and we were putting it together. Second day cutting ceiling joists. Third day - roofing - the crew leaders were doing the first row of shingles (scary part near the edge) and we did the rest.
Few other times we did carpentry (I built few porches, stairs and decks). Drywall once (walls not ceiling) and siding once.
High school kids are typically doing outside work like landscaping, hauling trash etc.

sailor

Old 09-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

Nords,

I started out making lunches for the workers. My husband started out doing framing (he had building experience). I believe my son did painting his first day. You can do whatever is your level of expertise, there is a leader of the project that will direct you along the way. Don't hesitate to participate in Habitat if you have no construction experience - you will be put to work in some capacity and will also learn how to do some things.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:10 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I posted earlier in this thread that my son-in-law had organized volunteers for a barbeque cookout for 1,000 evacuees at a shelter this weekend. He got a call from the Red Cross today telling him they were cancelling all such events. To quote the Red Cross spokesman: "The only donation we're accepting is money and suitcases to get these people out of here."

My first thought was they needed to move them to make room in the shelter for Hurricane Rita evacuees. But my SIL got the distinct impression the Red Cross was simply ready for the remaining shelter residents to get out and get on with their lives.

Guess a well seasoned hot plate of BBQ might encourage them to hang around longer?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I posted earlier in this thread that my son-in-law had organized volunteers for a barbeque cookout for 1,000 evacuees at a shelter this weekend.* He got a call from the Red Cross today telling him they were cancelling all such events.* To quote the Red Cross spokesman: "The only donation we're accepting is money and suitcases to get these people out of here."

My first thought was they needed to move them to make room in the shelter for Hurricane Rita evacuees.* But my SIL got the distinct impression the Red Cross was simply ready for the remaining shelter residents to get out and get on with their lives.*

Guess a well seasoned hot plate of BBQ might encourage them to hang around longer?

Sounds to me like Barbara Bush gave the Red Cross a call

JG
Old 09-20-2005, 09:12 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Explorer
Whatever lets you guys sleep at night.* Go for it.* But don't try and convince me that I should admire your principled stand, because I don't.* I'm sure the folks who lost everything, some including their loved ones, appreciate the "charity" you've already shown.

Give or don't give.* I don't give a d*#n, but spare us the self righteousness.

BTW, I am from New Orleans.* My dad lives there and rode out the storm and managed to get on a relief flight plane while New Orleans was still under water.* I have about a dozen relatives who have varying degrees of loss from a bit of water and wind damage to complete and total submersion.
I, personally, am a bit disgruntled with the large-tragedy, telethon, charity-concert, group-hug, emotional trap the country, and the media has fallen into. Katrina is a tragedy on a large scale. And every day families and individuals have equally as large tragedies on a small scale. Is the individual who lost their home to flood waters in New Orleans any more deserving of our sympathy than the individual who lost their home to fire on the same day somewhere else in the country?

My feeling on this has grown ever stronger after 9/11. I work in NYC and commute through the World Trade Center every day. I had friends who worked in that building who did not come home. I went to their funerals and donated to their children's college funds. Like many others, I gave generously to 9/11 relief charities of all kinds. At the time I didn't really consider the magnitude of all the resources earmarked for this single tragedy.

About a year or two ago I run into "Suzie", a college friend in her early 30's who lost her husband (also a college friend) in the 2nd WTC building. Neither she nor her husband were wealthy, but she had not worked a single day since 9/11. She informed me that she had just closed on the purchase of a $700,000 brownstone in the same town in which I live. To my knowledge she has still not held a job in five years.

Many people may view this as crass, but I couldn't help but wonder if my contribution to "Suzie's" daughter's college fund wouldn't have been better spent somewhere else. And then I began to wonder how many other charities saw their contributions decrease after 9/11 as people, institutions, and governments, redirected their giving to that single endevor.

Austin, I am sorry for your family's hardship. Truly I am. But I personally will not be giving to any "Hurricane Katrina" relief efforts. I suspect that the $200 billion estimated Federal spending ($400,000 per New Orleans resident) when combined with State spending and private donations will more than adequately cover the need. This year I plan to direct my giving to other charities, like Doctor's Without Boarders, that may have more difficulty raising money in Katrina's wake.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:23 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
...This year I plan to direct my giving to other charities, like Doctor's Without Boarders, that may have more difficulty raising money in Katrina's wake.
They should have realized it would be easier to raise money if they would just agree to rent out some rooms...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:30 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Yrs, it's a good point, it's why we've held back so far. I have trepidation wrt the Red Cross military industrial complex. I'm waiting to see what charity is doing the most good and/or is having the most trouble keeping contributions up. People tend to get charity fatigue once the stars go away and the confetti gets cleaned up.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:04 AM   #55

Quote:
All right, now I'm confused, weren't you lamenting having to live a lie just to get along with everyone else and go with the crowd where you live re: religion? Earlier you attributed your success in large part to your ability to tell people what they want to hear and blend in. You said this was a needed evil. Have you since come out of the closet? I would think your freedom of (non)religion being trampled by your coworkers/associates would be a fine opportunity to stand up for yourself, and a critical time to do it.
Ahh good point Laurence! Let me clarify what probably goes without saying for most; Standing up for yourself, but not in a recklass fashion.

Standing/speaking up for myself/having courage/ being proactive got me 1. Into the Air Force Academy 2. Full tuitition remission at Baylor 3. My first job 4. The job I have now. 5. My wife.

Just 5 things there, but boy are those big ones! I wont even begin to list the myraids of smaller things.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:08 AM   #56

Quote:
My rant, and I'll admit that it was that, was not to get money for my family (we don't need it), but to call to attention that there are many who have lost everything and now have nothing but the clothes on their back.
I guess that's what happens when you dont have flood insurance.* *

I'm trying to imagine how low one's IQ score would have to be to not make sure your home policy doesnt have flood insurance living in New Orleans.* *I dont know the exact number, but its going to be 80 max.

I'll admit right now it is very difficult for me to feel compassionate about non-proactive, living-in-the-moment, ignorant, and ungrateful people (reference to the bulk of the new orleans people focusing on what wasn't being done for them, instead of the good things that were being done).* *

Proactive planners who are intelligent weren't even in New Orleans, and of course they had flood insurance.* *Grateful people always focus on the good things that happen.* Ungrateful people dont.* *Anyone can find something to complain about at anytime.* The choice is whether you're going to do so or not, and THAT is what identifies character.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:09 AM   #57

Quote:
I think AzAnon has accurately described who he is, whether intentional or not.
I'm equally impressed by your 3 dollar contribution.* *

750 million dollars has been given to Katrina (by the public), 250 million live in the US.* *Do the math, sweetheart.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:44 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
Ahh good point Laurence! Let me clarify what probably goes without saying for most; Standing up for yourself, but not in a recklass fashion.

Standing/speaking up for myself/having courage/ being proactive got me 1. Into the Air Force Academy 2. Full tuitition remission at Baylor 3. My first job 4. The job I have now. 5. My wife.

Just 5 things there, but boy are those big ones! I wont even begin to list the myraids of smaller things.
I would think the reasons for your list above would be 1. working your a** off 2. Continuing to benefit from 1 after finding out you weren't Air Force material 3. Having a strong resume 4. 3 plus work experience 5. I hope love was involved.

So basically you are saying you stand up for yourself/what's right only if it's not inconvenient or as long as there is something in it for you. Courage is doing the right thing regardless of the cost. Nothing against the law about being pragmatic and calculating, just don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back there.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:12 AM   #59

Quote:
I would think the reasons for your list above would be 1. working your a** off 2. Continuing to benefit from 1 after finding out you weren't Air Force material 3. Having a strong resume 4. 3 plus work experience 5. I hope love was involved.
I can tell you've never made it into a service academy.* *Yes, working your ass off making grades and being in every club imaginable helps, but still you need this thing call a "nomination" from a Senator or representative, and yes, as you can suspect, that is best done by being proactive.* *You also have to win the heart of your liason officer, since he's the one that's going to speak up for you when it comes to who he recommends for appointment by the service academy. We had the LO over for steak at our house. ;-)

Both my first job and the job i have now i got, above and beyond anything else, because i called/met the Supervisor and told them why i was the best candidate.* *I realize that flies in the face of what some books say to do.* Those books are wrong.* * Everything else was just extra.* *No piece of paper represents me as well as I do myself.

Actually, i dont even understand love.* I caught my wife the day i had the courage to come up and introduce myself.* *That was the only significant barrier i ever remember crossing.* After that, it was gravy.* * I married my wife because the sex was so good, and i didnt want to see it end.* *Oh yeah, we became good friends too; still are.

I wasn't Air Force academy material at the time;* just "Air force" material means any high school D student that knows how to put one foot in front of the other, and make an asfab score slighly higher than a monkey could make.* *I was outstanding in basic training, but the elite school that is the AFA kicked my ass and, no, my really poor AA high school did not prepare me for that.

Quote:
So basically you are saying you stand up for yourself/what's right only if it's not inconvenient or as long as there is something in it for you.* Courage is doing the right thing regardless of the cost. Nothing against the law about being pragmatic and calculating, just don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back there.
Yes, that's exactly what i'm saying.* *As ive said once now, i'm not for recklass courage.* You can go to that national cemetary and see thousands of tombstones marking the graves of recklassly couragous people.* What in the hell is logical about being that kind of courageous?* * *

Who was it, Patton that said that the object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his.* *I'm for self-protection/self-preservation above all else.

You guys ever hear of Tony (Anthony) Robbins?* I think the guys great;* one of them motivational speaker.* I'm all on board with the guy.* So much of success really is superficial; meaning powerful decisions really are made in an instant.* You can decide to be successful, act on it, and man on man can you go a long ways by just taking the reigns with a firm grip and making great things happen.*

Success doesnt come by saying nothing, and handing over a transcript with A's on it!* *doh!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #60

Quote:
You guys ever hear of Tony (Anthony) Robbins? I think the guys great; one of them motivational speaker.
- yah, he was hilarious in "Shallow Hal".