Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Charitable donations pre- and post-FI/RE
Old 09-28-2005, 08:33 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Was it ever thus

By exiting well out of the affected zone - we were helped relatively pomptly and - 'more than enough' - since I always had a backup plan and emergency reserve.

Friends and relatives(via text message and phone when it works) in the area - are having a much more difficult time - in variety of ways.

Decent shelter seems most vexing - money doesn't help - if there is nothing availible.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2005, 08:35 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At the grocery store - "Would you like to donate to the victims of Katrina?"

On the street corner - "Would you care to make a donation to help the victims of Katrina?"

On the screen of my ATM (no joke!) - "Press Yes to donate $1 for the victims of Katrina."

Pressed "NO" and committed to donate a dollar to something, anything, else.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:12 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
Pressed "NO" and committed to donate a dollar to something, anything, else.
When I was a teenager, one of our school's more notable hoodlums challenged learners got the bright idea to take a coffee can door-to-door in December to collect funds for the Red Cross.

Business was invigorating & brisk (think Pittsburgh in winter) and he was over $500 ahead (pure profit, no overhead and no intention of sending ANYTHING to the RC) until one of his happy donors called his parents to express their congratulations at their son's impressive initiative and maturity.

Overheard during the run-up to the explosion: "MY SON is collecting for the RED CROSS?!? He's supposed to be at detention!!!!"

The son soon learned how difficult it was to give back $500 a dollar at a time, with explanations. He's probably a stockbroker now. But I'm sure all our nation's challenged learners can aspire to greater goals.

Somewhere, all across the nation, young entrepreneurs are painting "KATRINA" on coffee cans and lacing up their walking shoes...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:51 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nords said:
Quote:
Overheard during the run-up to the explosion:* "MY SON is collecting for the RED CROSS?!?* He's supposed to be at detention!!!!".... He's probably a stockbroker now. ...Somewhere, all across the nation, young entrepreneurs are painting "KATRINA" on coffee cans and lacing up their walking shoes...*

Nords, you are hilarious! I am smiling and laughing, except that I know what you said is TRUE! (not necessarily the part about stockbrokers. ) I knew guys like that in High School...

You know the old saying: "Let the donator beware!"

Akaisha
Author The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement