Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap land. Year-round motorcycling.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Cheap land. Year-round motorcycling.

Searching for the fairy-tale retirement spot in Podunk. Probably somewhere in the TN-GA-NC-SC corner. Possibly MO or AR, unless you can intrigue me with someplace else. No scarey desert posts, please. I don't want city water or sewer. But I'm not going to truck in my water either. I'm not sure if I'm willing to be off the grid or not. Probably not.

Podunk should have a grocery store in town. The hospital and Wal-Mart should not be more than an hour away.

Land should be cheap, because I'm looking for 5-10 acres or more. And I want to be able to ride my motorcycles 90% of the time or more. Snow is a problem, cold is not.

No kids, so I don't care what the schools are like.

Want to avoid touristy places (like Gatlinburg and Branson) and "bedroom communities" (like around the DC-B'mo metro-plex).

And it has to be in the good ol' US of A.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Cheap land. Year-round motorcycling.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What about the other end of the Tail of the Dragon: here.

Probably one of the prettiest places I ever took my motorcycle to.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd guess somewhere near Greenville, SC might be up your alley.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess I would be tempted by southern CO or northern NM, but you might have to put u with occasional bouts of snow. Usually doesn't stick around for too long, though.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I like your criteria. Please keep us posted on what you find.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

regarding: NC
if you like mountains, look west, if you like ocean, look east, pick a county that doesn't
have a large city to have lower land prices and taxes.
You don't say where you are now?
I think you need to narrow down your criteria; ocean or mountains? Flat land or rolling
hills? is income tax rate an issue? Do mind the heat (90s with humidity)?
FYI: Myrtle Beach,SC has 2 bike weeks, 1 for crotch rockets, 1 for harleys and other cruisers,
make sure you pick the right week.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:20 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans
regarding: NC if you like mountains, look west, if you like ocean, look east, pick a county that doesn't have a large city to have lower land prices and taxes. You don't say where you are now? I think you need to narrow down your criteria; ocean or mountains? Flat land or rolling hills? is income tax rate an issue? Do mind the heat (90s with humidity)? Tom
Great help Tom. I love both mountains and the ocean, but HATE sand. Maine's beaches are nicer, but too much snow. In Central PA (Williamsport) right now. So far I would have been able to ride locally every day this winter. Rolling hills are cool. Prefere a state that isn't going to tax my pension, but agree with a thread somehwere else (the DE thread) around here that said all states are going to get you, one way or another. Heat's ok, humidity sucks! That's the big reason FL is not really an option yet. Plus it seems like everyone is going there. I figure that has to impact land prces. Cheap land is the biggest point here, as I am going to build our retirement home myself when we get there.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:28 AM   #8

Ringgold Georgia area is not too bad. Some cheap land in the country but close enough to stores and interstates so you can do what you need. Great roads for the scooter, low taxes, and fairly decent weather year round.

Check out the area just to the east !
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ringgold,+GA

Just my two cents.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
Great help Tom. I love both mountains and the ocean, but HATE sand. Maine's beaches are nicer, but too much snow. In Central PA (Williamsport) right now. So far I would have been able to ride locally every day this winter. Rolling hills are cool. Prefere a state that isn't going to tax my pension, but agree with a thread somehwere else (the DE thread) around here that said all states are going to get you, one way or another. Heat's ok, humidity sucks! That's the big reason FL is not really an option yet. Plus it seems like everyone is going there. I figure that has to impact land prces. Cheap land is the biggest point here, as I am going to build our retirement home myself when we get there.
Given that, then you want to go to the western part of the GA, SC, and NC or eastern part
of TN. Look for something in the foothills of the mountains, but not too high of elevation, otherwise
you'll get snow, probably no higher than 2000ft. I would find each state's tax web site and do some
rough calculations, too complicated to simplify. For example NC low tax rate is 6%, SC is 2.5%, SC
sounds like the better deal, but SC starts taxing at $2350, NC starts at $12750, so if your taxable
income is less than 13K then NC probably is the better deal, but then NC has personal property
tax, etc etc Best to run through some sample calculations...there probably is a thread somewhere
where people already discussed state taxes. State and property taxes can be significant, I would
check it out first, as that might help narrow down you choices further.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
Prefere a state that isn't going to tax my pension
I have a bookmark for a website that breaks down all the taxes for all of the states....unfortunately it's on my 'puter @ home, and I'm on the rockpile today. When I get home I'll look it up and post it.

I checked out the states around that area (NC-SC-TN-GA-AL-FL-etc) of those TN & FL don't tax gov't pensions (nor does MS). I don't recall about AL. I had it narrowed down to TN, FL, or NV.....IF I'd decide to move after FIRE. Was leaning very heavy to far southeast TN.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:24 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to OkieTexan

Texas has all the things you favor and no state income tax.
The economy is strong and land & housing are still relatively cheap.
You could probably wear out several motorcycles trying to see all of it!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:27 AM   #12

I was looking at SE TN also. I was scouting out land to purchase, but could see it rising month to month. I then started to think about it and realized, many people are looking to buy land in SE TN/west NC/NW SC/NE GA area and figured by the time I was ready to retire the area would be too crowded.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:29 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

And there is always Texas.... there are lots of places that are cheap...

West Texas is dry and mountains... central Texas is the hill country... East Texas is forests and Gulf Coast...

It snows in North Texas.... stays warm in South Texas... and did I say if you buy land outside of the metro areas it can be cheap
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieTexan
Texas has all the things you favor and no state income tax.
The economy is strong and land & housing are still relatively cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
And there is always Texas.... there are lots of places that are cheap...
Good Grief! The state population grew last year by 580,000. At that rate, you won't be able to leave your driveway without ending up in a traffic jam!

What's the matter with you people? Haven't you heard about the rattlesnakes, scorpions, fire ants, budget-killing property taxes, .... :P

Old 12-27-2006, 12:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Good Grief! The state population grew last year by 580,000. At that rate, you won't be able to leave your driveway without ending up in a traffic jam!

What's the matter with you people? Haven't you heard about the rattlesnakes, scorpions, fire ants, budget-killing property taxes, .... :P

Hey REW.... I agree if he was moving to Houston or Dallas etc.... but he can go out to West Texas and there are 1,000s of acres that is going unused... now, there REALLY are rattlesnakes, scorpions, fire ants out there... but who cares??

Now, for the people that hear how good Texas is in the cities... well, we have the worst air, traffic jams, high taxes, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, and that is the GOOD stuff...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #16

florida north of orlando gets some nice rolling hills. prices go down up towards the panhandle and even south of jacksonville. though the land flattens out towards shore, daytona has it's yearly www.bikeweek.com

humidity here is really only at its very worst in august & september. just think of it as a savings on skin lotion & chapstick.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

The rural part of Northwest Arkansas looked attractive to me, but I'm staying here with my spouse who isn't moving. Jasper in Newton County is where an acquaintence moved. They drive to Harrison for a taste of suburban living. Cost of living there is quite low with no local economy to speak of, and with rugged country full of lakes and streams and insects. River front or lakefront property costs more. Higher elevations have less humidity than along the major rivers that are developed for commerce.
Joe
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
I have a bookmark for a website that breaks down all the taxes for all of the states....unfortunately it's on my 'puter @ home, and I'm on the rockpile today. When I get home I'll look it up and post it.
Well, I'm home and I found the link, so here it is:

http://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html

Hope this is of some help.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:34 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Goonie, GREAT SITE! Thank you.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:35 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Good news for NC Military retirees:

Retired Military Pay: If an individual had five years of creditable service as of August 12, 1989, all military retired pay is exempt from taxes. Otherwise, a deduction of up to $4,000 is allowed for military pay or survivor's benefits.

Great site, thanks. Now I may not move when I ER (someday...).
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote