Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap Rent or Cheap Travel
Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cheap Rent or Cheap Travel

If you could live in a large, beautiful home without a mortgage for only $500 a month, would you?

For Rent: $500/Month Premier Homes | Zillow® Blog

Luxury for just a few months or while waiting to find the perfect home to buy. If you got nothing better to do...
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'd rather live in a studio apartment that didn't have to be staged and perfect for real estate showings all the time! An apartment might be smaller, but at least I could kick back and relax, and put MY stuff in it (most of which would give stagers a heart attack, I'm sure).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I'd pass . You are providing a service plus your furniture so I think it should be free after all you will have to deal with annoying house showings and open houses .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I might do it if the market rent were $5000-$10,000 or more and I really wanted to stay in that particular place in that particular geographic location. With utility bills plus the $500 rent, plus staging with furniture and move in/move out expenses, it doesn't seem like a good idea otherwise. I'd probably rather rent a more modest place for $1000 or $1500 a month wherever I was going if I wanted to stay somewhere long term.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

huh? Where am I going to get enough furniture to fill a house like that?
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
huh? Where am I going to get enough furniture to fill a house like that?
You can rent it. I sort of figured that is what I would do if I were to "house manage" for a few months. The cost certainly adds up though.

That's the hitch - if I'm paying $500 rent, $500 for furniture rentals and $500-1000+ for utilities, am I really that much better off than just getting a more affordable short term rental?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I read a similar article someplace else. My reaction was that it was not worth it. I like my messy house that I call my own, and not having to feel like fish in a bowl. In addition, you would have to move frequently. Not worth it.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I read a similar article someplace else. My reaction was that it was not worth it. I like my messy house that I call my own, and not having to feel like fish in a bowl. In addition, you would have to move frequently. Not worth it.
I agree, having to move frequently would be a killer for me. And since you're moving furnishings, ugh, what a hassle. Not cheap. Not easy. Not pleasant. Who does this?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I agree, having to move frequently would be a killer for me. And since you're moving furnishings, ugh, what a hassle. Not cheap. Not easy. Not pleasant. Who does this? Suckers, I think. The owner of the house is getting a live-in caretaker who brings their own (presumably appropriate) furniture, cleans the house, shows the house, and packs up and moves out when the house is sold -- and they also get $500/month or so in INCOME from this person.

Usually, you have to pay furniture rental, pay cleaners, and pay the mortgage. Sounds like a sweet deal to me -- for the owners.