Choosing A Good Place to Retire

That's really nice. If someone is there who is willing to take care of everything for you while you are gone, whether neighbor, spouse, or other relatives, then basically there is no problem. However, I would not feel right about asking future neighbors to take care of a house for two years if I have never lived there. Oh well!

You can tell I was drooling over houses in SW Missouri online again, today. :2funny: I will just have to be patient, since there will still be great houses there in a couple of years. :D
If you found a place you like, would you be willing to rent it out until you are going to move? So instead of paying someone to keep an eye on the place, you'd have someone paying you to do it!

I found a research study that totals up the number of senior "migrant" retirees by state.

To view the rankings of the number of retirees attracted by each state in the nation and the associated income transferred, go to National Active Retirement Association (NARA) and click on “rankings.”

Two nuggets: For the single year 2005, no state had more than 6% new arrivals in the studied age groups. (Nevada and Arizona were at the top on a percentage basis, around 5% in 55-59 and 60-64, 4% in 65+.) For each of the age groups, Florida had more than twice the number of new retirement-aged residents as compared to the second-ranked state.

If you found a place you like, would you be willing to rent it out until you are going to move? So instead of paying someone to keep an eye on the place, you'd have someone paying you to do it!

That does sound great! But I am a little reluctant to become a landlord for the first time. With my luck, they'd trash the place and stiff me on the rent. :p

Besides, part of the reason for buying it early would be so that I could move an SUV full of stuff up there each time we vacation there (2-3 times a year, for a week at a time, during the next two years before ER). We could save money by staying there when we are there on vacation. Also once my house sold down here I would only have to move once. I think I haven't thoroughly thought this half-baked idea through so I'll just try to stop asking people about their vacant houses. :)

You could always rent storage to start moving stuff up there (whether you buy now or not). Or if you do buy now, put up a storage building (temp or otherwise) on your land that you could lock and use for yourself.

You could always rent storage to start moving stuff up there (whether you buy now or not). Or if you do buy now, put up a storage building (temp or otherwise) on your land that you could lock and use for yourself.

I guess I'll probably rent storage or an apartment in Missouri and move everything there as soon as I can sell the house here in 2009-2010, or maybe before so that the house doesn't look so full of stuff and could sell more easily. Then I could buy the house in Missouri and move everything into it. I was just hoping to avoid two moves. The storage building idea is a good one. Hmm.. :cool:

Maybe as soon as my house is in escrow, I could run up there and purchase another house, and rent it until escrow up there is closed, and move my stuff up there. On the other hand, that sounds awfully hectic for ER.

Last edited:
I found a research study that totals up the number of senior "migrant" retirees by state.

To view the rankings of the number of retirees attracted by each state in the nation and the associated income transferred, go to National Active Retirement Association (NARA) and click on “rankings.”

Interesting site. I didn't read enough to see how they got the data, or what controls they used. But the listing of 65+ per capita and per household income is certainly instructive. First of all, a lot of oldsters live alone. There are roughly 3 people for every two households overall. As I recall Hawaai has the highest density, DC the lowest. DC also has the richest 65+ folks, at least in terms of per capita income. No surprise there. WV has the lowest, barely more than half of DC's figure.

Ha

Two nuggets: For the single year 2005, no state had more than 6% new arrivals in the studied age groups. (Nevada and Arizona were at the top on a percentage basis, around 5% in 55-59 and 60-64, 4% in 65+.) For each of the age groups, Florida had more than twice the number of new retirement-aged residents as compared to the second-ranked state.

It would be interesting to see the breakdown inside the states .Some areas of Florida attract wealthy retirees and some attract a lesser desirable element .

Back
Top Bottom