Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Citizen Science Projects
Old 09-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Moderator
MBAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,158
Citizen Science Projects

This morning on NPR I heard a very interesting piece about volunteers transcribing weather details from handwritten ships' logs:

Old Ship Logs Reveal Adventure, Tragedy And Hints About Climate : NPR

I looked at the Old Weather website and they indeed are in need of lots of volunteers to do this work:

http://www.oldweather.org

If the idea of citizen science interests you but Old Weather doesn't float your boat (pun intended), there are other projects underway as well

https://www.zooniverse.org

Looks like some interesting opportunities out there for those of us with a little more time available than most.

Anyone out there already participating in one of these projects?
__________________

__________________
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
----------------------------------
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,456
I enjoyed that article as well. The hardest part would be figuring out the old cursive handwriting!
__________________

__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Moderator
MBAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I enjoyed that article as well. The hardest part would be figuring out the old cursive handwriting!
I think people who are into genealogy would do well at it - I've looked at a few old census records and most of them are in (horrible) cursive.
__________________
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
----------------------------------
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I think people who are into genealogy would do well at it - I've looked at a few old census records and most of them are in (horrible) cursive.
Very true, and the spelling is atrocious as well.

Here's a little help:

Tips for reading old handwriting
__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
jjquantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
This morning on NPR I heard a very interesting piece about volunteers transcribing weather details from handwritten ships' logs:

Old Ship Logs Reveal Adventure, Tragedy And Hints About Climate : NPR

I looked at the Old Weather website and they indeed are in need of lots of volunteers to do this work:

http://www.oldweather.org

If the idea of citizen science interests you but Old Weather doesn't float your boat (pun intended), there are other projects underway as well

https://www.zooniverse.org

Looks like some interesting opportunities out there for those of us with a little more time available than most.

Anyone out there already participating in one of these projects?
I tried my hand at the Galaxy Zoo part of zooniverse when it first started a couple of years ago. I did several hundred, but my attention span is not sufficient to keep at it.
__________________
jjquantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Solar Energy Projects? ERD50 Other topics 7 02-10-2011 02:33 PM
Showing off my wife's sewing projects Marquette Other topics 28 09-04-2008 07:22 PM
DIY Projects Jay_Gatsby Other topics 55 06-28-2008 09:05 PM
Doing projects around the house accountingsucks Other topics 37 03-10-2008 09:06 PM
Why aren't there more women science professors? Nords Young Dreamers 59 06-03-2006 10:14 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:04 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.