Class B RV - Buying tips appreciated.

heeyy_joe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW and I are interested in user opinions on Class B RV's and any sage advice from this forum. Roadtrek? Pleasure Way? Other? I think looking for a used one is best for us; where is the best value in terms of price decline versus model year? Top end of budget is $50k, but would prefer $35-40K range. RV would get about 10,000 miles per year added for our travels.

Anyone? Anyone? .....Buehler? :confused: :LOL:

Last edited:
We have had a Roadtrek for about 4 years now (2008 210 Versatile). We purchased it new (the factory put 1,000 miles on it driving it to Denver) and it now has over 110,000 miles on the odometer. We have been very, very happy with it and would replace it only with another Roadtrek. (in fact, we are seriously -- actively -- looking at a newer version right now.) Anyway, I have no other recommendations but there are a number of Links I can offer to help in your decision:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/72563760632/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/roadtreking/ or his Blog - Roadtreking | A journalist takes up the RV lifestyle
The Travels of Kimbopolo
Meryl and Me Hit the Road

There are many others that I can't think of off the top of my head. I will try to add them as I recall others.

Joe - We have a Roadtrek 190 Popular and like it a lot. Discussing makes and models can get into a discussion that would end up in discussion similar to a Macintosh vs PC argument so I'll simply add some ideas (in no particular order)

1. Spend some time researching the layout you like best and that can only be done by actualy walking though some units. The process took us about a year.
2. Depending on your location, there might not a dealer close to you. If service is a key factor, that can be a key factor on which manufacturer you go with. My closest two Roadtrek dealers are 100 mile and 200 miles from me.
3. Sprinter (Merceses Benz Chassis) or van (Chevy, ford or Dodge)
4. Generator or no generator. Virtually all Class B's will have "house" batteries to power "house lights", TV, VCR and other low power appliances. You will need to plug into external power at a campsite or run a generator for high draw appliances like A/C, microwave & coffee maker. For us, we will get a camp site with electricity if it's hot and we will need overnight A/C. Otherwise, we occasionally use the gen. to run the microwave or to make a pot of coffee in the morning.
5. Drivers - if your DW plans to drive. Make sure she feels comfortable driving whatever unit you intend to have on your shopping list.
6. Sleeping - some models have bed arrangement to sleep sideways (can't be too tall) while others sleep lengthwise. You can find the size of the beds on various web sites.

You can Google or check Craigslist for used Class B's or check the Roadtrek Chapter of the FMCA. Home - Road Trek International Click on the "Roadtreks for Sale" tab on the home page for a list of used units. You can also check for new and used units at dealers near you. Here are the two dealers closest to me. AmericanRV.com or www.arbogastrvs.com . The units on their web site will have video or slide shows so you can get an idea of various layouts.

Hope this helps. Happy shopping.

We ended up with a larger Class C for reasons specific to our needs, but I would have gone with a Class B if it would have worked out. I see you are in Dallas - if you have a reason to be coming south, there is a nice dealer in New Braunfels who specializes in Class B's - Stahmann RV.

Good luck!

Since you are in Dallas, check out PPL in Houston. Their site moves a lot of units and are competitive. Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes
We have a 2007 Roadtrek Verstatile after owning a 28 foot Class A. Besides the operating economics which favor the Roadtrek, we find the flexibility great. Also DW would not drive the Class A but has not issues with Roadtrek.
Good Hunting
Nwsteve

...Top end of budget is $50k, but would prefer $35-40K range. RV would get about 10,000 miles per year added for our travels...
That was the price range I had in mind when I was shopping a few years ago, but my frugal wife talked me into the lower price range of a common class C.

For $50K or a little less, I would be able to get a used diesel Sprinter-based, which would be somewhere between a B and a C to give me a bit more room. The smaller B is lacking in shower room, which is important for us. My wife already did not like the shower stall of our C, and I did not want to push for an even smaller shower.

Last edited:
That was the price range I had in mind when I was shopping a few years ago, but my frugal wife talked me into the lower price range of a common class C.

For $50K or a little less, I would be able to get a used diesel Sprinter-based, which would be somewhere between a B and a C to give me a bit more room. The smaller B is lacking in shower room, which is important for us. My wife already did not like the shower stall of our C, and I did not want to push for an even smaller shower.

I really like the Sprinter chassis/platform. If I were looking for a Class B the Sprinter is the route I would go. I think there are several brands to choose from but they are all the Sprinter in disguise - Freightliner, Dodge, and Mercedes. I think they are all really Mercedes with different badging and I think Freightliner and Dodge no longer offer the product.

In addition, the Sprinter comes in a couple different "weight" ratings - usually noted by whether the rig has single rear wheels or dually rear wheels. Do some searching - I think the dually option is the longer wheelbase but not sure.

If you haven't already, check out sportsmobile.com. They let you design your own custom interior, and might give you good ideas on what you do/don't want. Prices on new ones are out of your budget, but they have a section on used units for sale.

My biggest beef with ALL of the stock class B's is storage space for "toys". I usually travel around with climbing and backpacking gear, and sometimes with a whitewater raft, and there's no storage space in any of them for them for this equipment. Almost everyone I know with a class B uses all/part of the bathroom for storage.

I currently have a ford, but my next van will probably be a sprinter (or the new ford transit coming out next year).

my wife cannot take space in class b. after research i bought

sunseeker class c chevy 4500 model 2300. 25 feet long 60x80 inch queen bed
although side -udinette-works great

There are some really cool Class B's around.

My tall husband needs a 6'5" ceiling clearance and a full-length (80") queen bed. I am under the impression that none of the Class B's will accommodate his height. I figure we're stuck with a Class C if we ever downsize from our Class A.

I want to thank all for the input so far - keep 'em coming. While I am not opposed to a Class C, our gated community has a 22FT length restriction which is the primary reason for looking at Class B's. We are of average height so no worries about head clearance. I do have a Honda PCX150 scooter I would like to haul on the back of a Class B - anyone have any tips for that too?

I want to thank all for the input so far - keep 'em coming. While I am not opposed to a Class C, our gated community has a 22FT length restriction which is the primary reason for looking at Class B's. We are of average height so no worries about head clearance. I do have a Honda PCX150 scooter I would like to haul on the back of a Class B - anyone have any tips for that too?

i live in condo community. i rent open storage for 50 dollars a month,

much easier.

if you are looking for a class b that will pass muster in condo community
you need one were air conditioner is not obvious.

Roadtrek 190p is probably least noticeable b. or look at used sportsmobiles with the pop tops

If money were no object, I would have both a class C and a B. A B will be better for trips where there's a lot of driving, while a C is better for setting up a base camp, then to explore the surrounding with a toad.

All my summer trips were made in the 2nd manner. Using the toad for sightseeing was great, compared to having to drive the C on narrow roads for touring. We saw a lot of Cruise America class C's in National Parks, and felt sorry for people having to maneuver these clumsy vehicles on park roads, and finding places to park.

On the other hand, when thinking about my future trip to Alaska, it occurred to me that a B would provide better mobility than my C with a toad. I have been thinking about doing the trip without the toad. But then, on the way up to Anchorage, when I pass through Canada, there may be places where I wish I have the toad. What to do?

Last edited:
If money were no object, I would have both a class C and a B. A B will be better for trips where there's a lot of driving, while a C is better for setting up a base camp, then to explore the surrounding with a toad.

All my summer trips were made in the 2nd manner. Using the toad for sightseeing was great, compared to having to drive the C on narrow roads for touring. We saw a lot of Cruise America class C's in National Parks, and felt sorry for people having to maneuver these clumsy vehicles on park roads, and finding places to park.

On the other hand, when thinking about my future trip to Alaska, it occurred to me that a B would provide better mobility than my C with a toad. I have been thinking about doing the trip without the toad. But then, on the way up to Anchorage, when I pass through Canada, there may be places where I wish I have the toad. What to do?

How about a travel trailer? You always have a tow vehicle, and you can drop the trailer and go. If you tow with a truck, you can even go 4 wheeling.

Hi,

We picked up a 2006 Roadtrek 210 last year, generator and most other options, ~35,000 miles and $35k. (Needed Chevy for towing capacity). We bought off Craigslist from a guy who was using it as a mobile office for real estate business. We haven't done extended trips, but I love the ability to park in most standard spaces. Has effective heating and air conditioner. Replaced the rear view mirror with a camera ($20?) and visibility is amazingly good. Replaced the analog TV. Replaced a slightly leaking gas regulator.

Bed area is larger than our queen at home. Does have some exterior storage bins in the sides. Very happy with it.

(Needed Chevy for towing capacity)

This implies that "power" is important. That is incorrect. Weight is the important factor -- braking and stability (can't have the tail wagging the dog). Roadtreks have very little wiggle room in that regard. There is a (legally required) formula that the vehicle manufacturer has to follow to determine the total weight a vehicle can handle and that figure includes anything towed. Exceeding that amount will get you in trouble real quickly with the Law... and your Insurance Company.

How about a travel trailer? You always have a tow vehicle, and you can drop the trailer and go. If you tow with a truck, you can even go 4 wheeling.
Before getting the current class C, which is still the only RV I have had or used, I started out looking at TT to tow with my SUV. It would have worked out too, but at this point I prefer the stand-alone capability of a small MH if I want to travel light.

Just look at Roadtrek Web site, and they have the RS E_Trek in an all-electric package, meaning no propane. Heating/cooling/cooking/refrigeration necessities are all done with storage batteries. A 5KW inverter can run the AC continuously for 9 hrs off the batteries. Nice! No separate generator is used, as a 3.5KW generator is driven by the traction diesel engine. I am sure it is a less noisy and more efficient arrangement than a separate genset. And they also offer solar panels and a methanol fuel cell!

I could not find the price though. The price of the RS_Adventurous, the conventional version, is already at $110K. The electric may add another $10-15K easily.

PS. If money were no object, I'd still rather have the above Roadtrek than a class A. It's still expensive to own. First, there's a 9.3% sales tax where I live. Just looked up the annual registration for a vehicle of that price range, and it would be $2K+ the first year. Then, the insurance cost must be added. I guess these still pale besides the depreciation though. I will wait a few years for one to hit the used market. My state does not charge sales tax on used vehicles bought from individuals.

Last edited:
My biggest beef with ALL of the stock class B's is storage space for "toys". I usually travel around with climbing and backpacking gear, and sometimes with a whitewater raft, and there's no storage space in any of them for them for this equipment. Almost everyone I know with a class B uses all/part of the bathroom for storage.

I'm thinking of buying a used van and taking it to have it customized. I want just the basics; electricity, insulation, a high top, and maybe a bathroom where I can put a toliet but no plumbing (I'd use the bio bags). I'd use inflatable camping mattresses instead of a bed. I would cook outside on a campstove and use an ice chest with block ice.

This will allow me to see if I like traveling this way without dumping a lot of money into it. Also, I don't want to have to deal with things breaking/not working. Plus, I will have lots of room for backpacking gear, camping gear, clothes, etc.

I'm thinking of buying a used van and taking it to have it customized. I want just the basics; electricity, insulation, a high top, and maybe a bathroom where I can put a toliet but no plumbing (I'd use the bio bags). I'd use inflatable camping mattresses instead of a bed. I would cook outside on a campstove and use an ice chest with block ice.

This will allow me to see if I like traveling this way without dumping a lot of money into it. Also, I don't want to have to deal with things breaking/not working. Plus, I will have lots of room for backpacking gear, camping gear, clothes, etc.

Honestly, this seems like the sort of thing you could do yourself, aside from the high top.

I did that myself, many years ago when I was single and much younger. Perfectly possible, but not really as easy as you might think.

For instance:

http://www.letsgoaero.com/productdetail.asp?pid=17

I've been looking into a ford transit connect. Small, but could work for short trips, an occasional overnighter or 2.

Ford Transit Connect Camper Conversion - Expedition Portal

There are many sites devoted to this kind of van conversion and longer term living/traveling in the resulting RV.

I currently have an old, small C; but, I found many of these sites interesting. Cheap RV Living was one that I found particularly interesting for some reason; but, I decided that was not the path for me, at least pre-ER.

Back
Top Bottom