Join Early Retirement Today

Class of 1989
Old 02-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
gone traveling

Class of 1989

Any other members?
Sojourning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I finished grad school in 1989. Does that count?
Old 02-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
gone traveling

Sorry kid, what was that, grade school? My hearing's starting to go a little at my age.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourning View Post
Any other members?
Yes... retired November 1989. Thought I was all alone here. Maybe we could plan a retirement reunion party.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
gone traveling

Well who would have thunk I would find a fellow class of 89 member. I posted for a laugh. Just goes to show, it's a small world after all as they say.

Reunion party? You still party?
Class of 1989
Old 02-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Class of 1989

Quote:
Well who would have thunk I would find a fellow class of 89 member. I posted for a laugh. Just goes to show, it's a small world after all as they say.

Reunion party? You still party?

I did a double-take, too, when I saw your thread. I'm so used to the happy soon-to-be-retired posts in the yearly rosters.

Maybe they should group all those classes in their own sub-forum, like yearbooks.

I think The Class Of 1989 is a fine addition!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I did a double-take, too, when I saw your thread. I'm so used to the happy soon-to-be-retired posts in the yearly rosters.

Maybe they should group all those classes in their own sub-forum, like yearbooks.

I think The Class Of 1989 is a fine addition!
Just think, you both retired the year Taylor Swift was born.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
Just think, you both retired the year Taylor Swift was born.

I assume you meant the two (so far) 1989ers. I was a proud member of The Class Of 2011, so if she was born then I can only speculate a high-protein diet for her worked wonders!

Old 02-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #9

Quote:

I assume you meant the two (so far) 1989ers. I was a proud member of The Class Of 2011, so if she was born then I can only speculate a high-protein diet for her worked wonders!
Yes, I meant the 1989rs.

On a more serious note, I find it interesting that we have at least two 26+ year veterans of the RE game still active on this board. It would appear that their projections (perhaps such as they were back then) ultimately proved correct. Perhaps there is something to this FIRE = Happiness canard after all.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
gone traveling

Umm, sorry to disappoint you Jay. Here's what I learned (imoldernu can of course speak for himself).

My 'projections' were based on three simple points. Spend less than your income every year. Never touch the principal and most importantly, never, never, never gamble money in the stock market. Nothing like what I see here under 'financials'.

Re Taylor Swift, here's a more sobering thought that combines time and 'projections'. If you think back to 1989, two common things today basically did not exist. Cellphones and the internet. The world has changed in the last 25 years and no doubt will change again in the next 25 years. No 'projections' last through that amount of time. That makes looking at people working out 25-30-35 year 'projections' pretty amusing to me. There is nothing I was invested in in 1989 that I am still invested in today.

Here's my take on how 'FIRE' works. You THINK you have enough to quit and then you have the guts to quit and find out. EACH YEAR. You may be right, you may be wrong. So far, I'm in going into year 26 and holding my own.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Umm, sorry to disappoint you Jay. Here's what I learned (imoldernu can of course speak for himself).

My 'projections' were based on three simple points. Spend less than your income every year. Never touch the principal and most importantly, never, never, never gamble money in the stock market. Nothing like what I see here under 'financials'.

Re Taylor Swift, here's a more sobering thought that combines time and 'projections'. If you think back to 1989, two common things today basically did not exist. Cellphones and the internet. The world has changed in the last 25 years and no doubt will change again in the next 25 years. No 'projections' last through that amount of time. That makes looking at people working out 25-30-35 year 'projections' pretty amusing to me. There is nothing I was invested in in 1989 that I am still invested in today.

Here's my take on how 'FIRE' works. You THINK you have enough to quit and then you have the guts to quit and find out. EACH YEAR. You may be right, you may be wrong. So far, I'm in going into year 26 and holding my own.
I think you might be underestimating the age of both cellphones and the Internet. But it is true that they had not become mass market items in 1989. I got my first internet account in 1990 when I joined a Canadian university; we used FTP and UNIX. Mosaic appeared in 1993 and suddenly the Internet became user friendly.

The First Mobile Phone Call Was Made 40 Years Ago Today - The Atlantic

A Brief History of the Internet | Internet Hall of Fame

You say that none of your investments now are the same as in 1989. What is different?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I hope to read more from the 89ers.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I think you might be underestimating the age of both cellphones and the Internet. But it is true that they had not become mass market items in 1989. I got my first internet account in 1990 when I joined a Canadian university; we used FTP and UNIX. Mosaic appeared in 1993 and suddenly the Internet became user friendly.
Somewhere around here I have a complete map of the Internet, from something like 1982. There were about 30 machines connected, many on leased lines with modems on each end.

Hah! The Wikimedia folks had a copy.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #14
Administrator

I bought my first item on the internet circa 1989, a Prodigy sweatshirt.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prodigy_(online_service)

Quote:
By 1990 it was the second-largest online service provider, with 465,000 subscribers trailing only CompuServe's 600,000.[1] Its headquarters were in White Plains, New York until 2000, when they moved to Austin, Texas.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
I hope to read more from the 89ers.
+1
Old 02-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Re: plans and results... have pretty much detailed mine here on ER.

I guess we didn't connect to ARPANET back in 1986, but we did have a graphic interface - GEOS... which a little later became Geoworks.
Just imagine... instead of looking at the green screen of our Apple 2E, all of a sudden we had a "window"... with links (pictures) to click on, instead of having to input text.
GEOS (8-bit operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If I remember correctly, we used Geoworks until sometime around 1993, when we skipped over Windows 3.1, to the much more advanced Windows 3.11.

We connected to others with the amazing 300 baud Hayes modem. The book for programming the modem was about 100 pages... and the connection over the phone line was chancy... depending on whether the geek who was running the Bulletin Board was home or not. Chat rooms were really fun, oftern with 10 people (or more) trying to ge a word in edgewise.

It was a time when file extensions were new (to us anyway) and we marveled as new ones became available... gif files for moving stick figures, jpeg for pictures and wav... for sound... imagine... digital sound!

All a little bit hazy in memory, but for sure... very exciting at the time.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #17
gone traveling

Let's not get pedantic guys. When I gave the cellphone and internet as examples of major changes in the world in the last 25 years, I was referring to common usage, not first time ever usage of some kind.

I can recall being an early user of this kind of phone. http://facultywp.ccri.edu/jkirby/fil...-car-phone.jpg
I can also recall getting ready to go on a vacation and my boss asking me to take my phone with me in case they wanted to get in touch with me. I refused his ridiculous request.

Do you ever consider how much freedom people have lost since the advent of the cellphone? Thank goodness I don't need to work for a living anymore. I can't imagine being expected to be available for business the way working people are today. While cellphones do have many advantages they also have their downsides as well. Lose of private time being a big one in my estimation.

As for the internet, sorry guys, it's 25 years old last November according to the inventor of it. Inventor of the web marks its 25th anniversary by calling for net neutrality | The Verge
Whaddaya think, should he know better than you do? Computer 'nets' such as the ARPAnet or Prodigy existed but not the Internet we all use today. Perhaps I would have been more accurate (for the pedants among us) if I had said the World Wide Web instead of the Internet.

The point is, widespread usage by the public of both cellphones and the Internet have changed the world a great deal. Who knows what will change in the next 25 years. Thinking a 'projection' will be valid in 25 years really isn't thinking at all.

Meadbh, you wrote, "You say that none of your investments now are the same as in 1989. What is different?" The simple answer is everything. The complicated answer is too complicated to try and write here.

Here's an example for you though. When I left Canada I had a chunk of money in GICs with a Canadian Bank. Guaranteed around 10% return. However, they also tied me to Canada as being 'deemed to be resident' and were subject to income tax. After being in Greece for a year or so, I discovered that I could buy Greek government bonds that were tax free in Greece, could be held in foreign currency and paid 21%. Taking the money out of my Canadian GICs and buying Greek bonds would also allow me to become 'non-resident for tax purposes' in Canada. At that time, Greece was not in the financial situation it is today. They were a pretty safe bet. So what do you think I did?

There was no way that I would have known about those Greek bonds before I retired and been able to 'project' based on them. Nor could I have projected that a Canadian bank GIC today would only be paying 2.5%. That's why I say projections are just a guess and nothing more. I just stick to my 3 rules and play it by ear, year by year. You cannot make a future decision in the present.

Now I gotta go, time for my siesta, one truly great life changing discovery I made in Greece.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #18

Maybe I can be an auxiliary member of the class.

My first retirement was in 1989, and my second (final) retirement was in 2001.
First was from the military, second from a civilian career.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #19
gone traveling

I see no problem with giving you honourary membership braumeister.

What do you think imoldernu?
Old 02-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I see no problem with giving you honourary membership braumeister.

What do you think imoldernu?

He's a party guy, so he gets my vote!