Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #221
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
Same position here. Waiting until April when the bonus check clears and company stock vests. The next day, I am giving my notice!
I have options that vest just before the bonus also. Maybe about 10K worth. So all in all, worth it to wait for the 25K coming in April, no matter how much I HATE my job and manager.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #222
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Just passed another milestone on the way to ER. In order to ER and get a pension and be able to buy into the group insurance plan (more important to me than the monthly pension check at this time) I needed 20 years of service. I just passed that milestone a few days ago! So, I can actually retire and not just talk about it! I will, of course, honor my contract and continue to teach through the end of the school year. To do otherwise would not be fair to the school system or my students. l
Woo hoo! Every milestone is so important.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #223
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
I have options that vest just before the bonus also. Maybe about 10K worth. So all in all, worth it to wait for the 25K coming in April, no matter how much I HATE my job and manager.
Just keep thinking of the retirement and the extra 25k, then smile a little even if it makes you look like an ignorant simpleton. I find that a great way to deal with the negative aspects of the job.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #224
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I keep telling myself a lot of the fall out of these hair-brained ideas will not happen until after I am gone. It is the only thing that keeps me sane.

The funny thing is, I work for a great company, totally love it, I am just in a really poorly led and managed team, starting with my manager who always seems to be on the edge of being fired, then some new manager comes in above him, and they thinks he's great.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #225
Dryer sheet wannabe

Taking my chances in 2012 myself, Eligible for a pension in August. Work for the state of Illinois and as you may know, Illinois is broke, wanting to change the pension plans for current state employees. I will go talk to retirement next month, but as of now I think I will retire 07/31/2012 after 32 years before they change the rules.
Ron0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #226
Full time employment: Posting here.

My name is on tomorrow night's school board agenda under RESIGNATIONS. There are about 15 names listed.

I will have to postpone a celebratory event, as the horrid flu monster hit Friday night. Though i am better each day, I want to totally savor the celebration (first of many).

72 days
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Ohyes, is that resignation such as "I quit" or as "I am retiring". I hope it is the later.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #228

It is I am retiring.

They treat them all the same. Last year, when DH retired, the school board meeting happenings were reported in our local paper and DH's name was listed as a resignation accepted by the board. It bothered me a bit, because what if some folks thought he had been fired?!? but the very first
comment (online edition) was a former student saying how sad he was to see that Mr ****** was retiring and what a great loss it was for the district.

It probably makes sense to do it like that, instead of breaking it down by category.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #229
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
It is I am retiring.

They treat them all the same. Last year, when DH retired, the school board meeting happenings were reported in our local paper and DH's name was listed as a resignation accepted by the board. It bothered me a bit, because what if some folks thought he had been fired?!? but the very first
comment (online edition) was a former student saying how sad he was to see that Mr ****** was retiring and what a great loss it was for the district.

It probably makes sense to do it like that, instead of breaking it down by category.
May be they don't like to refer to it as retirement for fear of contagion
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #230
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations!!!! Im going in on the 24th myself, and cannot believe how, "ya know what, let my replacement" kind of thinking I have taken....hehehehehe
fwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Having earned the necessary months of service to retire, I find my attitude is changing whether I will it or not. I am still working hard to teach, just put in 9.5 hours at work and brought home at least another hour of grading. But...... In a meeting today to decided what to do to 'fix' failing students next year, I was quiet.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #232

I have 10 more working days left. I have waited for this day for many many years. I want to see what its like to sleep later, stay up late and just relax. I want to enjoy my 6 month old granddaughter. I want to watch the birds, watch the clouds, sit outside and have a cup of coffee with my wife of 43 years. I cannot wait. Oldtrig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg becca.jpg (169.0 KB, 6 views)
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #233
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
I have 10 more working days left. I have waited for this day for many many years. I want to see what its like to sleep later, stay up late and just relax. I want to enjoy my 6 month old granddaughter. I want to watch the birds, watch the clouds, sit outside and have a cup of coffee with my wife of 43 years. I cannot wait. Oldtrig
Is that youngtrig? Cute. Nothin better than spoiling grandchildren. Sweet. Enjoy your countdown.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #234

I wish I was young but I have to deal with what I am. I have had a good life with a great family. I hope to live long enough to spoil that young girl. I just wish she would have came along ten years ago. I will be an old man when she graduated from college. I hope to see that day but time is not on my side. The countdown begins. youngtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #235

Quote:
. I hope to live long enough to spoil that young girl. I just wish she would have came along ten years ago. I will be an old man when she graduated from college. I hope to see that day but time is not on my side.
My father did not live to see his only granddaughter graduate from high school or college, but he was still a major influence in her life. Spoil her with a little extra cash "under the table" but more important, spend time just doing things with her. Cook breakfast together. Play putt-putt. Take a walk. Read a book. Read a book. Read a book. Pound some nails or catch a fish or grow a tomato plant. This is truly your legacy.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #236
gone traveling

Just an FYI. DW (Mrs Rescue) BS bucket overflowed yesterday .

She submitted her retirement notice this morning, effective the end of March ...

BTW, we originally planned on both retiring the same month/year (May, 2007). I did, she did not (last minute cold feet).

Don't need to add her name since she dosen't participate on the board.

I sent her a email this morning since she's still questioning her decision. Most of the folks have seen this before, posted many moons ago. However, it does tell quite nicely IMHO what retirement is all about:

"It's not the beginning of the end.....it's the end of the beginning....only the end of one single chapter in life......there are many more chapters yet to be written....by you! You are you now, and you will continue to be you after retiring. The only major difference will be that you no longer will have a job to clutter or clog your mind and/or life! You'll no longer have to meet someone else's standards.....you get to set your own standards, and achieve whatever you want to achieve.

Your job is not who you are, it's merely been a means to reach the beginning of a new chapter in your life.....the beginning of a new journey.

It's like you drive to the airport....but the airport isn't your destination. At the airport you board a plane....but the plane isn't your destination. The plane drops you off in some port city.....but that port city isn't your destination. In the port city you hop aboard a cruise ship.....but the cruise ship isn't your destination. The cruise ship take you to some tropical paradise......and it can go on and on and on, limited only by your desires and your imagination. Each step is just a tiny piece of puzzle of your life's journey. As you keep pressing forward, the past will gradually fade into the distance.....not necessarily forgotten, but rather just not as important as the present. I remember the past, but I don't live there....and I look forward to the future, but I haven't reached it yet....so I just live each moment for all it's worth, and life is great!

I've had friends who've asked me, "So what's retirement like?" My answer to them is, "Remember when you were a little kid.....before the big people sent you to kindergarten? Remember those seemingly endless days of play? Those days when you got up and ate breakfast, then went out to play? Then you'd come in for lunch and a nap, and then go back out to play until supper time? Then after supper you'd go out to play until dark or until bedtime....whichever you could get away with? Then you'd start all over the next day? Well, that's what retirement is like!!!"

No need to fear....come on in! The water's great!!!"
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #237
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congrats!!! You will be retired early enough in the year to enjoy the spring and summer! I see that you enjoy many of the simple things that are on my list - sleep late, bird watch, sit on the porch with a cup of coffee, and just basically be able to enjoy life. I have 225 more days, so hopefully we will have a beautiful fall this year in the midwest.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Wow! I am getting a serious case of short-timers attitude. Any suggestions on curing it? Or keeping it going?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #239
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut
Wow! I am getting a serious case of short-timers attitude. Any suggestions on curing it? Or keeping it going?
Same here. I was just saying this feels like senior-itis. The next phase is close, and I am much more focused on that than on the end of this one.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #240
Recycles dryer sheets

One month to my 9 day vacation. Then I am back for 2 weeks until I give notice. Total senior-itis!