Class of 2012

amfox1 said:
Two more days to go. Drafted my farewell email over the weekend and took my personal effects from my office. Office files are nearly complete and working on transitioning the last two work matters. I am very excited for FIREing on Wednesday.

Congrats !!!

Wow, congratulations!

These posts are reminding me...it's happening this year. It's really going to happen.

Keep em coming.

Tomorrow is it for me. 2/29/2012 I will walk away at 12 noon for the last time. I am just going in tomorrow for a few last minute things that need taking care of. I wake up 3/1/2012 a retired man. Maybe not a early retiree like many fourm members are here but at least I done it. Waited until I was almost 65 but it is done. Thu HIP HIP HOORAY

An old fellow fell in love with a lady. He got down on his knees and told her there were two things he would like to ask her. She replied, "OK." He said, "Will you marry me?" She replied, "Yes," then asked what his second question was. He replied, "Will you help me up?"
:dance::D:facepalm:

Congrats to everyone retiring soon. This is such an inspiring thread.

I'm out of town on business, just finished my second 18-hour day in a row and decided to see what's happening on er.org. So glad I did because now instead of dreaming about w*rk I'll be dreaming about being retired!

Tomorrow is it for me. 2/29/2012 I will walk away at 12 noon for the last time. I am just going in tomorrow for a few last minute things that need taking care of. I wake up 3/1/2012 a retired man. Maybe not a early retiree like many fourm members are here but at least I done it. Waited until I was almost 65 but it is done. Thu HIP HIP HOORAY

An old fellow fell in love with a lady. He got down on his knees and told her there were two things he would like to ask her. She replied, "OK." He said, "Will you marry me?" She replied, "Yes," then asked what his second question was. He replied, "Will you help me up?"
:dance::D:facepalm:
Oldtrig, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. :D

Enjoy your last day at work.

Haha Chuckanut.

I still don't have the package paperwork. I have heard nothing from my previous mgr (he is in the UK) so finally tracked him down and he said he did the paperwork today. So hopefully the HR group will be able to get it to me by friday. I have to admit that this is making me uptight. I want to sign, and turn in my laptop asap so people cannot chase me down to help with things.

Well, I made it:dance:. I am officially retired. It does seem strange. I never really thought about how my last day would be. The staff did give me a real nice present and all told me how much they appreciated my service for the last 15 years at this job:D. I just finished watching a movie and I will get up in the morning when I please. I hope to be able to check in here often and read about others who took the leap. It does feel good:cool:. Thanks for all the support here. My blood pressure has dropped already. :angel::cool: youngtrig

Well, I made it:dance:. I am officially retired. It does seem strange. I never really thought about how my last day would be. The staff did give me a real nice present and all told me how much they appreciated my service for the last 15 years at this job:D. I just finished watching a movie and I will get up in the morning when I please. I hope to be able to check in here often and read about others who took the leap. It does feel good:cool:. Thanks for all the support here. My blood pressure has dropped already. :angel::cool: youngtrig

Your sig 'youngtrig' says it all! Congratulations, now you can kick back and relax or do whatever you like. :dance::dance::dance:

fwest, amfox1, oldtrig, BellBarbara, SJ1_ (I hope I didn't forget anyone) I AM WITH YOU!!! Had my exit interview at 10am today, traded them the laptop, badge, and corp credit card for my final paycheck and I was gone! The drive home felt a bit surreal in a beautiful way - I actually stopped at the gym and did a good work to kind of "normalize". And then, to mark the day, I shaved off my moustache. My wife of 29 years had never seen me without it - what a hoot when she got home! Anyway, I'm here - retired - unbelievable!!!

Pete

Good news! Congratulations, and welcome to the dark side. You are now one of us. :D Just remember, when anyone asks what you do, just smile.

Good luck on your new career spoiling that cute "littletrig".

Go, Pete! Congratulations!! That's funny that you shaved off the 'stache---time for a brand new life! :dance:

The school is interviewing for my replacement next Thursday. When the principal showed me the applications, it made me feel just a tad strange. But, once I am retired, I will just be so happy they have a good (quite possibly better) person on the job. Certainly, they will be more into it. :)

Wow so much retirement success! So exciting.

I think my husband is going to pull the plug too. I would really love for us to have the spring together.

Four more months for me. We are at that time of the year where the school district asks us to commit to another year, request a job change, quit or retire. Looks like I will have to make it formal very soon.

Wow so much retirement success! So exciting.

I think my husband is going to pull the plug too. I would really love for us to have the spring together.

My wife will prob. leave end of Dec. I feel the same way about spending more time together.

I slept to 10:00am today. Tues. was my last day. was planning on working till July but they beat me to it! Plan on doing nothing this week .
Great to be a part of this class of 2012!

Class of 2012
---------------

12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1 2/29/12
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 7/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
marylandcrab
Masquernom
Mexico 7/12
mh 2/10/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
SJ1_
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee
z-d-g 3/1/12

Newcomers, please feel free to use the good old copy and paste method to join and to update the list.
Members, please correct my mistakes or update your arrival.

Just added myself. The buyers of my business informed me last night that I don't have to come in to help train the staff any further and I can officially consider myself retired. Hasn't sunk in yet at all. When does that happen?

Class of 2012
---------------

12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1 2/29/12
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 7/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
marylandcrab
Masquernom
Mexico 7/12
mh 2/10/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
SJ1_ 2/2012
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee
z-d-g 3/1/12

Newcomers, please feel free to use the good old copy and paste method to join and to update the list.

Retired this past Tuesday.

Hurray for severance pay!
I knew that I wanted/expected to take early retirement in 2012. I had tentatively set 2/10/12 as my preferred date. But as I got closer to 2/10, I was not quite at the asset "number" that I have been targeting since I got "serious" about FIRE in 2005. However, by 2/1, I was close. I decided to postpone and build a buffer for the next 6 to 12 months...
BUT, on 2/6, Megacorp announced a severance offer for anyone at the home office that wanted it. The commit date was 2/27. For me the offer was equal to 6 months pay in a lump some. Ya Hoo! I accepted the money, and set my last day as 4/27/12. So now I have 57 days left to FIRE! I am so excited. Also, what a lucky stroke for this offer to come along.
I am 51 years old and, work at this megacorp has become increasingly toxic. The stress is high and it will get worse, guaranteed. I could probably survive another 12 months, but I am sick and tired of surviving. I want to live!
Most of my pears that also elected to leave seem to feel bitter and concerned.
I try to keep a low profile and admit that I intend to take at least a couple of years off. I don't want to add to their stress. But at the same time I feel elated.
I'm a little nervous about taking that big leap. But we have lived a LBYM lifestyle for years now, and I know we will be ok.:dance::dance::dance:
Happy Day!

12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1 2/29/12
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 7/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
marylandcrab
Masquernom
Mexico 7/12
mh 2/10/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
SJ1_ 2/2012
teejayevans 3/2/12
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee
z-d-g 3/1/12

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Was aiming for 2015, Megacorp had other ideas, glad I'm prepared.
TJ

Looks like a good sized class. Nice list, but not as purty as the 2011 list...:cool:

Looks like a good sized class. Nice list, but not as purty as the 2011 list...:cool:

Both are much bigger than the 2009 list, which doesn't exist! There weren't many of us, but what we lacked in numbers we made up for in enthusiasm. :D

I am glad to read about those who have already FIRED in 2012. It gives me some hope after a tough day at work with lots of headaches and no promise of letup. I think that when I make my retirement formal, I am going to have a real attitude problem. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom