Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #261
Recycles dryer sheets

Too funny, I got two calls already asking me if I was interested in working for these companies. No way!
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #262
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is pretty darn exciting! Congratulations!
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellbarbara View Post
yay for me! Best of all news, re-org today - my job is eliminated. So i get my bonus, options and a package and don't have to wait until april 15 to give notice.

Could it be any more perfect? Consider me retired!!!!!!!!! Well, next week anyway
contradulations!!!!
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #264
gone traveling

bellbarbara = lotto winner, congrats on the rif package
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #265
Recycles dryer sheets

Best of luck to the class of 2012. I enrolled earlier this year but I'm bumping myself to probable class of 2013. Long story short: I got the opportunity to spend an extra year in Europe, pulled my retirement papers, and will stick around in my current job now for at least another year. Now I can fit in those trips to Prague and Portugal...Boa sorte todos!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #266
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
There is a class of 2011 and of 2013, but 2012 is missing so far.

In 2012 DH will start receiving his pension as former teacher, at age 60.
Long time ago we have decided that I will join him in ER, then age 53.
We keep track of our expenses, have payed off our house and saved enough to make it happen (and then some for fun...).

Anyone else?
Is there a Class of 2010? Just wondering.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #267
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Is there a Class of 2010? Just wondering.

There was a class of 2010, though it was before I joined this illustrious group. However, one can join the class of 2010, I know of no prohibition on this board. It's simple, just follow the instructions below:

How to Build a Time Machine: Scientific American

I am working on the device now. You will know when I have completed my labors as my name will appear in the Class of 1985.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #268
Give me a forum ...

BB, That is great news! Best of luck on this new chapter in your life.

Surving a few months more?!?!?!?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #269
Give me a forum ...

Surving a few months more?!?!?!?

/Rant On

I am finding it harder to put up with some of the nonsense at work. I can deal with the regular teaching quite well. But, now there is pressure to participate in another 'program' designed to raise student scores. I am a team player and will go along with the boss, but I also see that nobody is addressing the 2 ton elephant in the room. Instead we piussyfoot around it hoping that somehow we can overcome this and make a difference.

Like a person who has finished a great vacation, I sit in the airport and just want to be home ASAP.

/Rant off

Old 02-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #270
Moderator Emeritus

Chuckanut, once you have retired I suspect that the fact that they are pussyfooting around really won't matter much to you any more. Even though you will still care, that will be their job/concern and not yours any more. You will be more concerned about things related to your day to day life in retirement such as what day various facilities are open, when the library is least crowded, and when the museums have free admission, where you may wish to travel next, and so on.

Letting go of work issues is hard to do, but it is part of the psychological adjustment to retirement. I think you will do fine. For now, "cooling it" while you wait, as you are doing, is the right response.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #271
Recycles dryer sheets

OK I feel totally anxious. I just want the package to come so I can turn in my computer and such. I know this is totally normal so will not complain too much. They offer me 4 weeks to look for another job internally, so I don't have to turn things in. But I want to close it all down so people do not come to me for help.

Hopefully it will be by mid week next week. I will keep busy with some house projects, and log into my email only a couple times a day to look for the information on my package.

My husband is soooo happy he brought me roses yesterday. :-)
Old 02-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #272
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, its official!!! I officially ended work on Friday, and Im turning in my keys on Monday my Birthday (age 50) , to help my replacement for a couple of hours on MY time because I WANT to. then on friday to get my 7 checks from the City . then on to the big adventure. still frustatrated with the what are you going to do now that you are done here, of course you HAVE to do something else, comments!!!
fwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #273
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwest View Post
Well, its official!!! I officially ended work on Friday, and Im turning in my keys on Monday my Birthday (age 50) , to help my replacement for a couple of hours on MY time because I WANT to. then on friday to get my 7 checks from the City . then on to the big adventure. still frustatrated with the what are you going to do now that you are done here, of course you HAVE to do something else, comments!!!
Good job and congratulations! You don't need to answer that question. Just smile and lete them think whatever they want.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #274
Recycles dryer sheets

YAY fwest!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #275
Recycles dryer sheets

Two more days to go. Drafted my farewell email over the weekend and took my personal effects from my office. Office files are nearly complete and working on transitioning the last two work matters. I am very excited for FIREing on Wednesday.
amfox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #276
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfox1
Two more days to go. Drafted my farewell email over the weekend and took my personal effects from my office. Office files are nearly complete and working on transitioning the last two work matters. I am very excited for FIREing on Wednesday.
Congrats !!!
Ron0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #277
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wow, congratulations!

These posts are reminding me...it's happening this year. It's really going to happen.

Keep em coming.
Ksols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksols View Post
wow, congratulations!

These posts are reminding me...it's happening this year. It's really going to happen.

Keep em coming.
i just updated my occupation.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
i just updated my occupation.
Changed from "Programmer" to "Retired"

he he
Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #280

Tomorrow is it for me. 2/29/2012 I will walk away at 12 noon for the last time. I am just going in tomorrow for a few last minute things that need taking care of. I wake up 3/1/2012 a retired man. Maybe not a early retiree like many fourm members are here but at least I done it. Waited until I was almost 65 but it is done. Thu HIP HIP HOORAY

An old fellow fell in love with a lady. He got down on his knees and told her there were two things he would like to ask her. She replied, "OK." He said, "Will you marry me?" She replied, "Yes," then asked what his second question was. He replied, "Will you help me up?"
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote