Class of 2012

I am officially a member of the class of 2012, effective April 23, 2012. I couldn't be happier! I have spent many years lurking at this forum, reading retirement planning books, playing with spreadsheets, and dreaming of no longer working. It is finally here. I am going to sleep for a month, then travel for a while before figuring out whats next.
Lagniappe, congratulations on your retirement! Hope it is everything you expect and more. Welcome to the club.:)

lagniappe said:
i am officially a member of the class of 2012, effective april 23, 2012. I couldn't be happier! I have spent many years lurking at this forum, reading retirement planning books, playing with spreadsheets, and dreaming of no longer working. It is finally here. I am going to sleep for a month, then travel for a while before figuring out whats next!

yuusssss!

Mr BellBarbara had a miniature freakout today and started to question whether we had enough money. He was more concerned about cash flow than overall assets, so I showed him a cash flow analysis for the first 18 months.

I think he is all better. Work is being awful to him. He gave them 6 weeks notice, they did nothing until now, no replacement, no one assigned to pick up his sizeable responsibilities.....and get this: the VP asked him to record his "thoughts and knowledge" on a recorder. So lame. He has been in charge of huge technology projects for a long time, and they want him to record his knowledge? LOL

I think he is all better. Work is being awful to him. He gave them 6 weeks notice, they did nothing until now, no replacement, no one assigned to pick up his sizeable responsibilities.....and get this: the VP asked him to record his "thoughts and knowledge" on a recorder. So lame. He has been in charge of huge technology projects for a long time, and they want him to record his knowledge? LOL

Is he in the least interested in consulting back with them later? If so, I'd recommend recording a half hour of overview of all the things he's dealt with over the years, followed by a URL to his resume and phone number. If he's not, a rambling description of management's incompetence and a list of the proper people to call when things hit the fan might be useful. Obviously a non-indexed voice recording of knowledge is worse than useless. Congratulations to him for getting out. Anxiety attacks are common at this point.

He did something smart. He set up a series of meetings, invited his manager, the VP, and her team. He will do a series of presentations and allow them to ask questions. And he added they are more than welcome to record him if they like. So it's on his manager now in terms of recording.

Yes, he can consult back anytime. He worked for the consulting arm for a couple years, they would love to have him back even for small projects. He already called the consulting arm to make sure there would be no issue.

His manager is more technical than he is, but she is dragging her feet on rolling up her sleeves. She is totally lame, and the main reason he is leaving. Well, the VP is also lame. This manager he has now has been demoted down through the organization over the last 5 years and has been unable to keep a job for longer than a year - and yet the VP hired her. 3 key people have left....only people with little experience will be left now.

I am officially a member of the class of 2012, effective April 23, 2012. I couldn't be happier! I have spent many years lurking at this forum, reading retirement planning books, playing with spreadsheets, and dreaming of no longer working. It is finally here. I am going to sleep for a month, then travel for a while before figuring out whats next!

12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1 2/29/12
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara 4/12
Beowolf 2/29/12
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 9/12
CitizenK 3/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
Lagniappe (4/23/12)
LeapDay2012 2/29/12 (46)
marylandcrab
Mexico 7/12
mh 2/10/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Oldtrig 2/29/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
psweath 3/1/12
RynoSeattle 2/1/12
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
SJ1_ 2/2012
teejayevans 3/2/12
TeeRa 8/12
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee 4/27/12
z-d-g 3/1/12

congratulations! and welcome to the class of 2012!

Darn! Missed an after hours meeting yesterday about how to restructure our department groups next year. I had so looked forward to attending that meeting, but I just had to have coffee with a friend. :D

Last edited:
Maybe, just maybe (fingers crossed) somebody filmed it with their phone or FLIPcamera and you can watch it later. :D

Sending hopeful thoughts your way.

ohyes said:
Maybe, just maybe (fingers crossed) somebody filmed it with their phone or FLIPcamera and you can watch it later. :D

Sending hopeful thoughts your way.

I will try to remember to check on that at the first opportunity. :)

Good news for MrBellBarbara - today his manager pulled him aside to say his company gives him a months pay at retirement, as a surprise gift. He was thrilled!

Just 2 days more for him. He us starting to wind down.

DaNag....What was today like? I saw on the "class of 2012" thread that today was the day!

Isn't that the truth? In the past four months two of my friends have been diagnosed with serious diseases causing failure of the kidneys in one and serious breathing problems in another. A friend has been diagnosed with cancer. A coworker has been diagnosed with cancer. Sometimes it seems my peers are dropping like flies, and most are NOT yet into their 60's!!

Class of 2012, here I come!!!

One of the guys at my work was found dead in his chair the morning of his LAST DAY AT WORK BEFORE RETIREMENT. He was only 60. My father passed away at 59, not living a day in the retirement he strove so hard for.

May all the class of 2012 have many wonderful and healthy years in store

Looks like I am leaving the class of 2012 in the wrong direction...
DH has decided to postpone his ER to 7/2013. His current students/classes will then be handed over to another teacher acc. to the normal transfer schedule and a lot of his teacher friends are also chosing the same retirement date.
His health is currently quite good, so he feels that 2013 is the right time for him. Pension will also increase by app. 350 $/month.
I am quite sure that it is not another case of the "one more year syndrome".

So unless a nice "package" comes my way I will also aim at 7/2013.

All the best to the class of 2012!

One of the guys at my work was found dead in his chair the morning of his LAST DAY AT WORK BEFORE RETIREMENT. He was only 60. My father passed away at 59, not living a day in the retirement he strove so hard for.

May all the class of 2012 have many wonderful and healthy years in store

+1. Best of luck to the class of 2012 and thanks for sharing your early retirement plans and aspirations.

One of the guys at my work was found dead in his chair the morning of his LAST DAY AT WORK BEFORE RETIREMENT. He was only 60.

A former neighbor of mine who appeared to be in good health, died less than a year after retiring. Very sad.

Less than 2 months left until my last day of work. :dance:

Well I am finally ready to become a member of the Class of 2012 in another 2 weeks (5/18/12) after 23 years in IT at megacorp. I have been planning this for quite a while despite the market not cooperating and throwing me a few curves over the last 10 years that I had to adjust for. It really only ended up costing me one additional year on the job so not too bad a price to pay. I may have hung on a bit longer but with the company sending jobs out of the country and a lot of reorganizations, new policies and processes I decided to get while the getting is good.

I had a lot of entertainment value when I sprung it on my manager during my performance review as we were discussing what development items I should focus on for the rest of the year and I told him I wanted to include one more. He took it well but was not expecting it at all. I have actually been consuming my vacation days and really only have about 4 actual work days left between now and then so its all downhill from here.

Lister - Congratulations! It's such a great feeling, isn't it? I'm just starting my third month of retirement after 28 years with IBM, so I have a sense of what you've been through and why you are leaving! So, after two months, how do I describe it? It is truly a gift. I think I read on here about the danger of spraining your face from smiling so much - it is true! I'm still just walking around with this huge sense of gratitude - hope it never leaves!

Pete

One less expense!

:dance::D:dance::D:dance::D:dance::D

I just found another $1000 a year to spend upon retireing. When calculating what I won't be spending money on, I forgot the $85 a month in union dues that I pay.

:):D:):D:):D

:dance::D:dance::D:dance::D:dance::D

I just found another $1000 a year to spend upon retireing. When calculating what I won't be spending money on, I forgot the $85 a month in union dues that I pay.

:):D:):D:):D

Sounds like a retirement bonus to me! I bet you are going to have a great summer. :dance:

The Class of 2012 is shaping up nicely, good sized class in post #383. Congrats!

Lister - Congratulations! It's such a great feeling, isn't it? I'm just starting my third month of retirement after 28 years with IBM, so I have a sense of what you've been through and why you are leaving! So, after two months, how do I describe it? It is truly a gift. I think I read on here about the danger of spraining your face from smiling so much - it is true! I'm still just walking around with this huge sense of gratitude - hope it never leaves!

Pete

It's certainly a feeling that I think I can get used to.

I also worked for another company doing IT for a few years before this long stint at another "I" company (Intel) so we are pretty close to the same number of years doing IT. Things have changed a lot during that time and it has been a pretty exciting career but it's time to do something different or perhaps even nothing at all, at least for a while.

For the next few weeks I will try to contain myself to just a smirk in sympathy for those that I will be leaving behind. :D

pswealth

I worked for IBM too, not just recently, but before this job - for about 10 years in the SW group. Mind sucking. I could not take it. I think it's easier for people who started younger. I started at the Lotus company, and then we were acquired so the change was drastic.

Good for you for month 3. :)

Monday is our official first day of not working. We plan to spend the day kayaking with a nice picnic. MrBellBarbara seems a little erratic to me - hopefully he will settle down after a bit.

Back
Top Bottom