Class of 2012

I am diving into the pool finally !

I had originally planned on retiring in December of 2011 but my wife had a premonition that she was going to need very serious surgery this year. I agreed to stay a bit longer just to see if she needed an operation she was expecting all her life and she was right. She went through the surgery in March and is recovering very well. It is finally time to pull the plug on my job of 23 years.

I am 55 going on 15 again.. looking forward to making decisions as … Do I ride my bicycle today or go to the beach? My wife is understandably nervous but I have always monitored my spending and savings meticulously and feel very comfortable with our financial plan. We have lots of decisions we will make after I retire related to where we will live, but we have a large RV which will give us some flexibility in retirement. I don’t intend to “full time” but will probably take some extended trips.

Many thanks to the regular posters on the board, this site has been an inspiration. Not sure about anyone else, but it always seems that when I am reading the board I usually end up in a spreadsheet doing yet another calculation.

I am targeting my final day to be August 10, 2012. I intend to give my notice of retirement at the end of this month. It has been a long time coming to reach this point and I am already getting a feeling of calmness over me as the stress of the large projects I work will no longer be with me. I really think folks at the office will be shocked when I tell them (most think I was planning a couple of years out). More to come….

:)Just worked my last day! :) Now it is summer vacation.

Not yet officially retired, that happens in about 2 months, but I don't have to work anymore. :D

Congrats! I worked my last day on March 30th and I can tell you that nearly three months in, I am loving it.

We were at a BBQ party last and someone asked me what I least liked about retirement and I genuinely couldn't come up with a thing.

Enjoy!

Forgive me if i already posted this....like yesterday, lol. I had requested NO RETIREMENT PARTY, so they used the end-of-the-year-party to say farewell. This is what I received from different groups. Makes me to smile to remember:

$40 gift certificate to liquor store in neighboring county
$30 gift certificate to " "
$25 Fandango gift card
pregnancy test
3 travel magazines
insulated beach bag
Illustrated Guide to Kama Sutra (some of the pages had Post-It Notes marking "good things to try" ;)

:LOL: They are bad, bad, bad, fun, fun, fun (ex) co-workers

Party at OHYES's house! :dance:

The gifts, the screen name (OhYes), it all seems to go together. >:D :angel:

Enjoy retirement!

Thank you and congrats to all indeed! Please do enjoy it as you all have w*rk so hard to get to this point.

This is the last (but by no means the first :cool:) non-work-related Internet forum post that I shall make from my office desk. I already have my "retiree" building access badge (MegaOrg lets our retired staff come in to the building - but it doesn't open the doors at weekends, so I can only come in to "not work" 5 days a week) instead of my staff badge, and when DW gets back from the gym I will place my last box of personal stuff in it and drive off. Drinks start in 3 hours time here.

So, I hereby declare myself a member of the class of 2012. Can someone add my name to the list? I'm afraid to edit it myself in case I break something (says the guy who's been programming computers since 1975).

Last edited:
This is the last (but by no means the first :cool:) non-work-related Internet forum post that I shall make from my office desk. I already have my "retiree" building access badge (MegaOrg lets our retired staff come in to the building - but it doesn't open the doors at weekends, so I can only come in to "not work" 5 days a week) instead of my staff badge, and when DW gets back from the gym I will place my last box of personal stuff in it and drive off. Drinks start in 3 hours time here.

So, I hereby declare myself a member of the class of 2012. Can someone add my name to the list? I'm afraid to edit it myself in case I break something (says the guy who's been programming computers since 1975).

Congrad. from a fellow x computer programmer

12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1 2/29/12
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara 4/12
Beowolf 2/29/12
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 9/12
CitizenK 3/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
GT1 Doug 5/11/12
Ksols 6/12
Lagniappe (4/23/12)
LeapDay2012 2/29/12 (46)
marylandcrab
Mexico 7/12
mh 2/10/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Oldtrig 2/29/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
psweath 3/1/12
RynoSeattle 2/1/12
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
SJ1_ 2/2012
teejayevans 3/2/12
TeeRa 8/12
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee 4/27/12
z-d-g 3/1/12
BigNick

Congrad. from a fellow x computer programmer
I see you're one of those programmers who sensibly lets the operating system do the sorting. ;)

12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1 2/29/12
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara 4/12
Beowolf 2/29/12
BigNick 6/30/12
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 9/12
CitizenK 3/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
GT1 Doug 5/11/12
Ksols 6/12
Lagniappe (4/23/12)
LeapDay2012 2/29/12 (46)
marylandcrab
Mexico 7/12
mh 2/10/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Oldtrig 2/29/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
psweath 3/1/12
RynoSeattle 2/1/12
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
SJ1_ 2/2012
teejayevans 3/2/12
TeeRa 8/12
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee 4/27/12
z-d-g 3/1/12

You can add me. 8/1/2012 I am taking my remaining vacation right now. I have only two more days to go in. Turn in stuff, ect.

Well gave my notice today... It's official I will be retired in 2 months!! After preparing for this for years it will finally become true. My manager was very professional and understanding of my reasons for leaving... I still need to keep it quiet for at least a month to avoid the lame duck syndrome... Still have a lot to accomplish before I leave. I am definitely in the class of 2012..

count me in - June 15 - was the last day the alarm clock rang!!

almost at the 30 day mark and loving every minute of it !!

Congratulations Highroller! How has retirement going for you? Was the adjustment easy?

30 days, jwkde!?!?! That will soooo fly by!

Ohyes, my adjustment to retirement life has been great so far.... The days are usually busy and the time seems to fly by. Makes me wonder how I had any time for my personal hobbies and taking care of my place in the country before I retired.

HR, It is great to see you enjoying your retirement. I just started mine (though technically I am on vacation and not yet retired). Like you, I wonder where I got the time while I was working. There were so many things I simply did not do due to work obligations.

Back
Top Bottom