Class of 2012

I'm planning on becoming a member of the Class of 2012----last day of active work will be 06-30-2012.

It's finally here

First it was 2010 then 2011 but now it's 2012 and it's in ink this time. And early for me is 65. Lots of lost free time to make up. One lingering fear what will I do with myself after working full time for 47 years? Leaving Ca to move to the town beneath the red mountains of southern Utah.

Plan A is to hand in notice in Feb 2012.

Plan B is to delay until Feb 2013 so I can have a bit more money for my vices.

The difference between Plan A and Plan B is the margin for error in the FI part of FIRE.

The Feb date is due to the structure of my remuneration.

Add me to the list....

My official last day of work will be 1-6-2012. Counting my college co-op time, it's 31 years with the same company. I'll be 54 years old a week later. Having a really hard time getting motivated to do much work already. Can't wait to be outta here!

My official last day of work will be 1-6-2012. Counting my college co-op time, it's 31 years with the same company. I'll be 54 years old a week later. Having a really hard time getting motivated to do much work already. Can't wait to be outta here!

There must be some financial reason why you are working only 6 days into the new year? I have two reasons to work into 2012. The first being the elimination of the 10% penalty on my 401K since I will be in my 55th year. The second reason, if I can make it until the end of August I will be eligible for our retiree health insurance. :)

I actually meet my full retirement date on 1-1-2012. Thought I might as well work till the Friday of that week. A couple of years ago, my company offered early retirement packages in the middle of the year. They made them automatically retroactive to anyone that had already retired earlier that year. So just to be safe, I want to have some service time in 2012 on the off chance it happened again....

Most likely it will be Jan 2012 for me and DW (she works part time at a very low paying labor of love type job). The only reason I say most likely is I'm not sure about my ability to tolerate driving thru two major road construction projects here in North Texas on my commute to and from work for the remainder of 2011. Actually, we could have retired long ago, but the cost of putting two kids thru college has kept me at it while my heart wasn't 100% in it. When DW and I pull the plug next year our daughter will still have 1.5 yrs to go on her bachelors degree and our son is finishing his MBA this Spring. I am turning 62 in June and have been away from this site for quite a while, but with the goal line now in sight, hope to be a more active participant. I have found this to be a great community for helping to both plan the er and live it.

So where's your Class of 2012 summary list? Get organized folks...:cool:

Exit June 30, 2012 at age 64yrs, and perhaps earlier if I cannot get over the fact that I feel burned out - it's been 41 years.

Perhaps if I fired up the mustang and took a month's holiday and did that trip down highway 101 - yes that might work.

As I started this thread, here it is:

Cato
DFW M5
Masquernom
Traineeinvestor
Gary M
Scony
Ohyes
Worker Bee
Plattj 1
Unallowable
Bellbarbara
Ksols
Aviator
JJPies60
Obgyn65
65walkon
Blackwoodt
Chris2008

Now you're talking, nice work!!!

....wanting to keep our thread near the top so no 2012's miss seeing it.

It's a Monday morning. Retiring is most definitely on my mind. :LOL:

Either DH or both of us will be heading to Mass in the next few days to help his dad. I am glad DH is retiring in July so he can be there more for his father. LOTS of good reasons to retire!

....still July 2012 for me.

May 2012 is my plan, unless there is a financial implosion of some sort. Although folks here have informed me that I am not retired if I do some PT work, to me it will be retirement because I'll be where I wish to be. And I can pick and choose--so completely different than the present! Right now we are saving half of our pre-tax income and living on peanuts. Firecalc, ORP, and Merrill Edge all say it should work. I also have my fingers crossed, with no evidence, that there may be another buyout next year.

DH is retiring this year. Earlier this week he turned in his Letter of Intent for next year. He marked Retiring. This also serves as his letter of resignation. He is having mixed feelings about it, now that the decision is official, he said he feels relief at times, but he is also feeling nostalgic and a bit sad.
He was born to teach, but the work situation is not going to get better in the near future.

I'm in your husband's position almost word for word. He may feel very happy when he actually retires. Isn't it human nature to try to see the positives of one's current situation?

May 2012 is my plan, unless there is a financial implosion of some sort. Although folks here have informed me that I am not retired if I do some PT work, to me it will be retirement because I'll be where I wish to be. And I can pick and choose--so completely different than the present! Right now we are saving half of our pre-tax income and living on peanuts. Firecalc, ORP, and Merrill Edge all say it should work. I also have my fingers crossed, with no evidence, that there may be another buyout next year.

I am targeting anywhere from May to August of next yr. Like yourself, the market will be the key influencer as to whether it's May or a little later. It would be interesting to see where we both are next yr. As every month goes by, it's gets a bit more exiciting as financial freedom is at the doorstep.

Add me to the list! Not sure if I qualify as ER since I will be 63, but is exciting and a little scary walking into the unknown after nearly 50 years of work. January 6th, 2012 I start my new life.

I too, will be a part of the 2012 "grduating" class. I have April 1st marked on my calendar (not because I am a fool, I hope....).

Leaving job in 2012...thinking April 2012, in time for spring, good weather. Will help the transition.

Dear All
I am brand new on this board.... don't know how to do much navigation on here yet... but will learn. Plan on ER 12/31/12 @ 60Yrs. of age. A little nervous, but really excited to see where it goes. I see some mentioning FIRE..... help me on what this means.... looking forward to reading posts from you wiser and experienced ones.

Financial Independence Retire Early, or somesuch.

2Cor521

Back
Top Bottom