Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #521
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Add me to the list! First day of retirement is Dec 25, Christmas day, age 51.

R
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #522
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations Rambler! Now, let's just hope the Mayans are wrong about 12-21-12.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #523
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Add me to the list! First day of retirement is Dec 25, Christmas day, age 51.

R
Congratulations Rambler !!!
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #524
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I have resigned effective 12/1/12. I'm calling it a sabbatical, but in my mind it's a possible retirement. After achieving FI a couple of years ago, I spent 18 months quietly wrapping up my old role for the acquiring company. It was dull, but the incentives to finish were significant, and I enjoyed the way my personal life opened up when I worked a straight 40 hour schedule. I have spent the past six months working for a chaotic young company in a much more demanding role.

Taking the new position was a mistake. The satisfaction that comes from earning money is modest now, and my level of patience for common workplace stressors like people with personal agendas at odds with the organization's best interest has declined a lot. If I take paying work in the future, it will need to be something I would be happy to do for free.

I'm looking forward to getting involved with my daughter's last year of home school (8th grade) and otherwise puttering. I'm not going to make any new commitments for a while.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #525

Congratulations !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1962
Well, I have resigned effective 12/1/12. I'm calling it a sabbatical, but in my mind it's a possible retirement. .
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1962
Well, I have resigned effective 12/1/12. I'm calling it a sabbatical, but in my mind it's a possible retirement. After achieving FI a couple of years ago, I spent 18 months quietly wrapping up my old role for the acquiring company. It was dull, but the incentives to finish were significant, and I enjoyed the way my personal life opened up when I worked a straight 40 hour schedule. I have spent the past six months working for a chaotic young company in a much more demanding role.

Taking the new position was a mistake. The satisfaction that comes from earning money is modest now, and my level of patience for common workplace stressors like people with personal agendas at odds with the organization's best interest has declined a lot. If I take paying work in the future, it will need to be something I would be happy to do for free.

I'm looking forward to getting involved with my daughter's last year of home school (8th grade) and otherwise puttering. I'm not going to make any new commitments for a while.
Good for you! Christmas day will be my first day of retirement, and I can hardly wait. I couldn't agree more with your comment on taking paying work in the future only if it something you'd be happy to do for free. The office politics, bureaucracy, stress, and pressure are no longer tolerable and work that I would be happy to do for free would not contain elements of that nature.

R
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #527
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Mark1962 ...
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #528
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Drum roll....... Meadbh just joined the class of 2012!

My original plan was to ER 16 months from now, but this j*b just wasn't a good fit and so the organization and I have agreed to go our separate ways. I am looking forward to a healthier lifestyle, more time with friends and family, and freedom! I may do some consulting, but have no plans to take on a high pressure j*b again.

I am so thankful to be FIRE!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #529
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Let me be the first to congratulate you!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #530
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

My original plan was to ER 16 months from now, but this j*b just wasn't a good fit and so the organization and I have agreed to go our separate ways. I am looking forward to a healthier lifestyle, more time with friends and family, and freedom! I may do some consulting, but have no plans to take on a high pressure j*b again.

Congratulations! I think that you had to move to take that job. Will you stay at your new location?
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #531
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

WOW!!! Congratulations! Soon you will be experiencing a wonderful and lower stress lifestyle, in retirement.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #532
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Congratulations! I think that you had to move to take that job. Will you stay at your new location?
No plans to move at present. It's a good ER location with lots to do, mild winters, hot summers and a major airport.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #533
Administrator

Congratulations Meadbh
Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #534
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ooooh, yeah! Great way to end the year

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #535

Quote:

Congrats!!!
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #536

Quote:

Congratulations!!! I hear you on "maybe a little consulting but no plans to take on a high pressure j*b". Same here...no more pressure! I'll be right behind you on 25 Dec, my first day of FIRE. Can't wait!

R
Old 11-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #537
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Congrats!

Once one has reached the point of FI, the RE part is just a matter of when one decides to walk off a job. To be able to leave on one's own terms when one feels like it is great! It's an option that many highly-paid people would never know because they do not practice LBYM. Should we pity them? Nah!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #538
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No plans to move at present. It's a good ER location with lots to do, mild winters, hot summers and a major airport.
Sounds great. Enjoy!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #539
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Congratulations !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #540
Administrator

Quote:

Another congratulations, hoping ER is everything you hoped it would be.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote