Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #61
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello. I'm new to this site and have enjoyed reading and learning from the posters here. I'll be retiring from my teaching career on 5-25-2012, one week before I turn 51. My DH(also a teacher) will follow me into retirement in 2013 at the age of 55. I'm still a little nervous anticipating the changes ahead, but also very excited.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Hello. I'm new to this site and have enjoyed reading and learning from the posters here. I'll be retiring from my teaching career on 5-25-2012, one week before I turn 51. My DH(also a teacher) will follow me into retirement in 2013 at the age of 55. I'm still a little nervous anticipating the changes ahead, but also very excited.

Congrats on your soon to be ER! You will skate out a few months before me. I just hope that the next 14 months fly by, then slow way down!

Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #63
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks Blackwoodt! Yes, hopefully things do slow down once things aren't so hectic. Ive already turned in the paperwork which definitely took some weight off my shoulders.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #64
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
2 teacher retirement incomes...now that rocks!
Have fun.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #65
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008
I have updated again and added a few earmarks.
Those who come new to this thread or would like to add their earmarks please feel free to copy and paste the list.

Cato
DFW M5
Masquernom
Traineeinvestor
Gary M
Scony
Ohyes 7/12
Worker Bee
Plattj 1
Unallowable
Bellbarbara
Ksols 6/12
Aviator
JJPies60
Obgyn65
65walkon
Blackwoodt
Chris2008 7/12
Mexico 7/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave
Bellbarbara
druba50
Piano88
o2chim2
Dancingmama
Added KSols at 6/12
Old 06-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH's last day of work was yesterday. Cannot believe the day finally came. He doesn't believe it either.

We also will have two teacher pensions, but after health insurance, DH's will only have $500.00 remaining. (That is not until after I retire next year). Some teacher's pensions are more than others, lol. However, we plan to make it work!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
DH's last day of work was yesterday. Cannot believe the day finally came. He doesn't believe it either.

We also will have two teacher pensions, but after health insurance, DH's will only have $500.00 remaining. (That is not until after I retire next year). Some teacher's pensions are more than others, lol. However, we plan to make it work!
Congratulations to your spouse on a very significant day. I am counting the months.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
Congrats on your soon to be ER! You will skate out a few months before me. I just hope that the next 14 months fly by, then slow way down!
That's about my timeline. I have already started the adjustment period and while I am still trying to get the job done, I have made a significant hurdle in that I am not stressing about sales. This is the fun part and the next yr will go by fast.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #69
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am starting my extended vacation on April 1st next year. I am counting the days. I must admit that telling my co-workers about my intentions may have been a mistake. Right now, I feel like a lame duck. I don't get dragged into projects like I used to and they pretty much leave me alone I guess because they assume I have lost interest. The same applies to my management. It feels a bit strange to me.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruba50 View Post
they pretty much leave me alone I guess because they assume I have lost interest. The same applies to my management. It feels a bit strange to me.
I'm not sure that I'm seeing the downside! I'm in the same boat, and kind of enjoying it!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #71
Dryer sheet aficionado

Don't get me wrong. I am kind of enjoying it too. It's just that lately my wife is asking me what, exactly, I am retiring from (tongue planted in cheek, I assume)
Old 06-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

A thread I started pointed me here. I'm planning on joining you in the Class of 2012! I'm not a teacher but will be getting State teacher's retirement package and I'm fully vested! DW & I have been socking it away for years and the fee only financial advisor says we're set so time to pull the plug on the daily grind! I think 26 years is ENOUGH!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #73
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruba50 View Post
Right now, I feel like a lame duck. I don't get dragged into projects like I used to and they pretty much leave me alone I guess because they assume I have lost interest. The same applies to my management. It feels a bit strange to me.
Before I retired in 2009, I appreciated any empty time that developed at work. I used the time to try to ensure a smooth transition of my duties from me to the next person.

I went through 20,000 e-mails and culled them down to those few hundred worth transferring to my successor. I no longer needed those I kept for CYA, and being cautious in a tough environment, that represented quite a few.

I went through all my paper files and shredded whatever was no longer needed (such as interim progress reports on projects that were finished, and so on).

I had any of our technical reports that had become available online in PDF, and any duplicates, shredded. I organized the rest by topic since my job was being divided up between three people and this way each could take the relevant reports.

I organized papers and journal articles on topics that my successor(s) would need, into boxes by topic and clearly labeled each.

I personally took classified/confidential materials to my supervisor and made sure the transfer was done correctly.

I even went through my office supplies and gave away all that I didn't need immediately to co-workers, for government use only.

I gave Holli my little stress-reliever alligator that she had asked for.

There was a LOT of work of the types I have mentioned. It took a huge amount of time. Also, I was invited to those meetings where they needed an extra bright smiling face representing my unit, but didn't really need any thought or input. This allowed others in my unit to skip the meeting and actually do work.

I spent several hours each week training one of my successors on the most politically touchy part of my job. I actually even wrote a 100 page manual on how I did that job, in case she had questions after I left. I printed two and gave a copy to our supervisor.

By my retirement day, my drawers and file cabinets and closet were empty. My remaining office supplies were neatly arranged on top of one counter, and several neatly labeled boxes of government owned books and other technical material were neatly arranged on the other counter. I knew that I had left my job in good hands, and that my successors would not need to contact me because they had all the information I could give to them.

This is a GOOD feeling - - I felt I had wrapped things up neatly and tied with a bow, figuratively speaking.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

W2R,

You show a lot more loyalty than I can muster.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #75
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
W2R,

You show a lot more loyalty than I can muster.
I felt like my job mattered, at least in some small way, and besides I need to look in the mirror every morning when I brush my hair. My actions and accomplishments met my own standards both when I was working and when I was in the process of winding down for retirement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I felt like my job mattered, at least in some small way, and besides I need to look in the mirror every morning when I brush my hair. My actions and accomplishments met my own standards both when I was working and when I was in the process of winding down for retirement.
This is my idea of what being a professional means, and as to W2R, I am not surprised at all, since you demonstrate that attitude everyday on the forum.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

I started cleaning out files this year (the things i saved....wow, no explaining it). Much still to do for my successor. I am the only only one who has held this job (new school when i was hired), so it is imperative that I set things straight. Whatever is "wrong" is my fault.

It will be a fun task, though. : >
Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #78
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm entering my last year of HS teaching and being a head cross country and track and field coach. It will be 31 years (a slight advantage in MO Retirement system over full 30 yrs) any teachers out there have experiences or advice on their last year? Obviously as teachers we've always had that 2 month summer glance at retirement, but what's it like going through all the yearly stuff (1st/last day of school, last parent conf.) for the last time.
I'm totally thrilled to think about taking the next 9 months to clean out 16 file drawers, 2 offices and walking away.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello fellow classmates,

I plan to retire on 1 August, 2012 at age 47 after 25 years in the military (Beat Navy Nords!). My wife will be 46. She's been a stay-at-home Mom, raising two kids, throughout our career. The kids are now college age. My last duty day should be around 1 May.

So far, here are some of the things I plan on pursuing (or continuing in some areas) in our 2nd chapter of life:

Personal Finance.
Historical fiction.
Swim/Gym/Speed Walk.
Own a guitar, want to learn to play in a praise band.
Own a 1965 Ford Ranchero, want to learn to restore it.
Love to camp in National and State Parks
Love to visit family
Want to learn to wood work so I can complement my wife's talented quilting/knitting/basket weaving hobbies and set up at weekend craft fairs.

Best wishes to all of you and I look forward to this adventure!

Chains
Old 07-08-2011, 02:59 AM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One year from today it will be DH's final active day as teacher.
The government is just starting to modify his pension system, so we hope they do not implement negative changes before he is out.

Cato
DFW M5
Masquernom
Traineeinvestor
Gary M
Scony
Ohyes 7/12
Worker Bee
Plattj 1
Unallowable
Bellbarbara
Ksols 6/12