Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was following your thread this morning (early congrats to The Class of 2012 - it'll be here before you know it!), and noticed that there was a duplicate in 2011 and 2012: JJPIES60, whose big day happens to be today . It turns out they were originally planning to retire in 2012, but the date got pushed into 2011.

Looking forward to watching your class' list grow over time!

Cato
DFW M5
Masquernom
Traineeinvestor
Gary M
Scony
Ohyes 7/12
Worker Bee
Plattj 1
Unallowable
Bellbarbara
Ksols 6/12
Aviator
Obgyn65
65walkon
Blackwoodt
Chris2008 7/12
Mexico 7/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave
Bellbarbara
Aruba50 4/12
Piano88
o2chim2
Dancingmama
Chainsbegone 8/12
BradMM

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

DH might end up in the class of 2011 (pink slips coming in the next couple of months to facilitate an 8% workforce reduction) or pushed into 2013 (if DH survives the cuts) depending on what we find out about SS and Medicare.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinmama View Post
DH might end up in the class of 2011 (pink slips coming in the next couple of months to facilitate an 8% workforce reduction) or pushed into 2013 (if DH survives the cuts) depending on what we find out about SS and Medicare.

That’s one advantage, or perhaps disadvantage of giving notice… no option to stay on for another year!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #84
Confused about dryer sheets

10/31/12
Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #85
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congratulations RootyToot. I plan on retiring on 2/13/2012. So include me in the class of 2012!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #86
Dryer sheet wannabe

4/1/2012............April Fools day no less...
Old 07-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #87

65walkon
Aviator
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Blackwoodt
BradMM

Cato
Chainsbegone 8/12
Chris2008 7/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
Gary M

Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
Masquernom
Mexico 7/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave

Piano88
Plattj 1

potto 0213
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee

Congtatulations guys. It's cold and wet here today so with more time on my hands I have added you to the 2012 list and put it in alphabetic order.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

While I am retiring in July 2012, it seems i always post about DH - who retired last month. He loves it so far, btw! (He is doing all the laundry, most of the cooking and all those errands things that are such a pain in the neck).

We leave Wednesday for his 40th high school reunion in MA....the first reunion he has attended since his 5th.

Of course, he can go, because he is not working, and i decided to take 3 of my 5 yearly personal days for the big event. I get 10 sick days and 5 personal as a teacher). Checked out a biography of Cleopatra from the public library today just in case I get bored.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

This week has me wondering whether we really belong in class of 2015. Or will we have even less then? DH is ever more optimistic than I. Between the two of us we seem to hit a balance.
Our all-stock account which had earned 21% in about 9 months has now dropped to 8% in 14 months
Old 08-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
This week has me wondering whether we really belong in class of 2015. Or will we have even less then? DH is ever more optimistic than I. Between the two of us we seem to hit a balance.
Our all-stock account which had earned 21% in about 9 months has now dropped to 8% in 14 months
I know what you mean, the recent events are enough to shake my faith as well, Especially since I'm looking for a more comfortable type retirement without worry
Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am very close to joining the class of 2012. It will be on 7/1/2012 only 322 days from now. I will be 61. Up until about a year ago, I thought I would work until I was 66 (the age for full SS benefits). After all, most of my ancestors lived to their 90's, I liked my work, etc. But.......

A few years ago my younger sibling died unexpectedly from a sickness that came out of nowhere - no history of this in my family. Then a good friend of mine got an eye disease and lost some of her sight. This year several things happened. My boss at work - who hardley ever gets sick and never seems to tire - got cancer. She seems to be making a good recovery and is back in the saddle, but still.....

Finally, I took a very nice tour a few months ago. Most of my fellow travelers where retired or semi-retired. Not a one missed work. Over and over again I heard the same things I thought I would be bored, but I am as busy as ever pursuing things that interest me', ' I am in better health than when I worked because exercise more regularly and eat better', and most importantly, 'I have control of my time.'

All of this comes at a time when work has gone from an enjoyable event to a high pressure, constant hassel. I am a teacher and I enjoy teaching the students. But, the pressure to do well on the state tests is intense. Adminstrators make decisions based upon $$'s not what is good educationally, then expect teachers to somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat and make sure all the students pass the state tests. All our support services are cut back: counselors, custodians, educational assistants to help slower students, etc. Yet, we are expected to do more and more. Last school year I came home exhausted every night, both my health and social life showed it. Work is just not fun anymore.

OK, OK, I am grumbling and rambling Sorry. You get the point.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
He loves it so far, btw! (He is doing all the laundry, most of the cooking and all those errands things that are such a pain in the neck).
Did you really intend to say "He loves it..." rather than "I love it..."?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I felt like my job mattered, at least in some small way, and besides I need to look in the mirror every morning when I brush my hair. My actions and accomplishments met my own standards both when I was working and when I was in the process of winding down for retirement.
I think that is a good point. Though I am probably in my last year of working regularly, I still enjoy the basics of teaching and I want to do a good job at it. The students deserve my best.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #94

Chuckanut,

My hat goes off to teachers in general, especially the exceptional ones. I too do not like the idea of being forced to teach for achievement on the standardized tests; would much rather see kids stimulated to want to learn and be taught to think and use logic.

Good luck and hope to see you officially declare FIRE 2012.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #95
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I think that is a good point. Though I am probably in my last year of working regularly, I still enjoy the basics of teaching and I want to do a good job at it. The students deserve my best.
Exactly. You "get it" - - your students deserve your best, and you can and should be proud that you provided it to them up until the day you retire.

Teachers like you are the ones who make a difference, and are remembered fondly by their students for the rest of their lives.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #96
Dryer sheet aficionado

I got a call last month from my mentor, the one that got me into teaching and coaching (36 years ago I wanted to be just like him). His advice stil rings in my ears
Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #97
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksols
I got a call last month from my mentor, the one that got me into teaching and coaching (36 years ago I wanted to be just like him). His advice stil rings in my ears
I hit something on my iPad and it sent too quick

When he found out this was my last year, his advice was "Don't mail it in".
Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #98
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ksols, He said this because he knows you might change your mind? Expound, please!

I have announced my retirement after this school year. Of course, I can change my mind, and I still love my job, but I hope to stay on that road---especially since DH retired after the last school year and is LOVING being out from under all that.

Not wanting to teach for achievement tests is great, but not reality. With Common Core here...well, that seals the deal. It IS about teaching for the testing, no matter what a teacher believes in his/her soul. Everything is tied into that now. It has just totally snowballed over the last few years.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #99
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes
Ksols, He said this because he knows you might change your mind? Expound, please!

I have announced my retirement after this school year. Of course, I can change my mind, and I still love my job, but I hope to stay on that road---especially since DH retired after the last school year and is LOVING being out from under all that.

Not wanting to teach for achievement tests is great, but not reality. With Common Core here...well, that seals the deal. It IS about teaching for the testing, no matter what a teacher believes in his/her soul. Everything is tied into that now. It has just totally snowballed over the last few years.
The "don't mail it in" means, don't coast and just float thru your last year. Keep molding and inspiring. I'm not in a core area (Engineering, Industrial Tech) but we've been in cut-backs and salary freezes the last 3 years, and CO is clueless and out of touch...time for me to move on.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

All of this comes at a time when work has gone from an enjoyable event to a high pressure, constant hassel. I am a teacher and I enjoy teaching the students. But, the pressure to do well on the state tests is intense. Adminstrators make decisions based upon $$'s not what is good educationally, then expect teachers to somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat and make sure all the students pass the state tests. All our support services are cut back: counselors, custodians, educational assistants to help slower students, etc. Yet, we are expected to do more and more. Last school year I came home exhausted every night, both my health and social life showed it. Work is just not fun anymore.

Chuckanut, it is exactly the same at the university. I came home and told my husband that I could use a 30 hours a week secretary. I feel like the teaching has taken a distant second place to the administrative tasks. Nobody seems to actually care about the quality of the actual teaching--but has the paperwork been taken care of? I keep feeling that if I could just get over a "hump" but before I get close to that, another huge pile gets dumped on me.