Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #121
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is my last school year and track & field season coming up. I asked to have my replacement (in house) in place before the beginning of this season (2 year scheduling...)and was told..."you must put in writing that you will resign/retire after this year"
That was fun crafting and sending that email!
Ksols is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

My mom died a few weeks ago, and left me enough money that I can stop now. I want to, by my hub wants me to stay on plan for April next year and think of the money as extra. It is so tough. My manager is sucking my soul dry.

So I am taking it day by day.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan on retiring some time in the first quarter of 2012 (between the end of January and the end of March), so put me down as Class of 2012.
amfox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellBarbara View Post
My mom died a few weeks ago, and left me enough money that I can stop now. I want to, by my hub wants me to stay on plan for April next year and think of the money as extra. It is so tough. My manager is sucking my soul dry.

So I am taking it day by day.
So sorry to hear about your mother. Good idea to take it one day at a time. I hope you were able to take some bereavement vacation. It is a necessity, IMO. Take care of yourself, and take care.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:51 AM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bell,

I am so sorry you just lost your mother. Make sure you take things slowly and are extra good to yourself. Keep us posted.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So sorry to hear about your mother. Good idea to take it one day at a time. I hope you were able to take some bereavement vacation. It is a necessity, IMO. Take care of yourself, and take care.
Thanks for your thoughts. My mom has suffered from end stage dementia and her quality of life was taking a very bad dip, so in some ways it was relief that we felt. And then guilt of course over feeling this way. She was not very much like my mom during this past year, so I have been grieving all along at the loss.

I did take a week off, but work feels worse now, like the nonsense level is so much higher. It is plenty of money, there really is no reason for me to continue to work, it essentially replaces 10 years of my net salary amt. I think my husband wants me to work as he has to keep working due to child support and private college costs for his youngest.

I will think about it more.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I did take a week off, but work feels worse now, like the nonsense level is so much higher. It is plenty of money, there really is no reason for me to continue to work, it essentially replaces 10 years of my net salary amt. I think my husband wants me to work as he has to keep working due to child support and private college costs for his youngest.

I personally wouldn't need long to think about it. It doesn't sound like there is any good reason for you to stay employed. Meanwhile, the stress is not healthy.

I too am very sorry for the loss of your Mom.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

If I stay until April there are 3 money issues: my bonus is paid in April (about 8K net), a referral fee I would get for getting someone hired (2K net), and more stock options vest (difficult to judge what this would be but maybe 5K net). So hub feels for that amount of money over and above my salary, I should stick it out.

It would make a nice travel fund for a long trip to Australia/New Zealand we want to take. I am trying to think of it that way for now.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #129
gone traveling

Quote:
If I stay until April there are 3 money issues: my bonus is paid in April (about 8K net), a referral fee I would get for getting someone hired (2K net), and more stock options vest (difficult to judge what this would be but maybe 5K net). So hub feels for that amount of money over and above my salary, I should stick it out.

It would make a nice travel fund for a long trip to Australia/New Zealand we want to take. I am trying to think of it that way for now.
What about if you left effective Jan 1; provided your bonus is based on calendar year 2011, I believe they would have to pay you your bonus. The only issue I see with that is once your gone, they may undercut what they award you, but I guess that depends on how your company adminsters the bonus and how fair they are.

PS - you may also be able to accrue your full 2012 vacation time and take that off for some additional $s, but again, that may depend on your company's policy.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

No, I wish it was that way. Our fiscal year ends Jan 31, and you have to be employed to get your bonus for the year, in mid April. It's terrible. I used up all my vacation time. Frustrating.

I will think hard about it. It's very stressful and not a hint of changing.

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Sadly, Pal and spouse are now looking at 2014. It's not that bad, and perhaps the housing market will also boost what we are able to get for the house.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that
Old 10-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #132
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sorry to hear that

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
Sadly, Pal and spouse are now looking at 2014. It's not that bad, and perhaps the housing market will also boost what we are able to get for the house.
Sorry to hear that. Just hang in there; only a couple of more years.

I just submitted my retirement papers. All is in order to retire Sep 1, 2012. DW and I are in the process of having our dream home built in Northern MI. Should be ready to move in by next Sept.
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #133
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts. My mom has suffered from end stage dementia and her quality of life was taking a very bad dip, so in some ways it was relief that we felt. And then guilt of course over feeling this way. She was not very much like my mom during this past year, so I have been grieving all along at the loss.

BellBarbara, I'm very sorry for your loss. And far be it from me to tell anyone to keep working, but it's been good advice for me when I was told not to make any major changes in my life while still suffering from the shock of a major loss. If you are ready to go and now financially set, well and good. But taking your time and letting things settle a little might not hurt either. The nice thing about the FI part of FIRE is the change in attitude about your job tends to make the little annoyances just become laughable instead of unbearable.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #134
Dryer sheet aficionado

Met with the director of human resources today. I was given my "so you're considering retirement" packet with timelines, info and schedule of monetary perks. Very fun. All your help on this site plus a financial advisor that understands teachers has me feeling 3 steps ahead of the game. Armed with those tools is making this the enjoyable experience it should be. Smiling everyday.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Thought for sure, DW and I were slated for the class of 2011. But, best laid plans were dealt a blow by the realities of realty. Had everything lined up, then put the house on the market in May...thinking it would sell by end of summer, and we'd be on our way.

The good news - escrow just closed. The bad news - we got beat up on price worse than expected.

So, we're in a rental now on a 6 month lease, working a while longer to fill the piggy bank back up. Certainly not the end of the world, and on the bright side - the last major unknown has been removed from our plans, and we'll be joining the Class of 2012 on May 1.
Da Nag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #136
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Nag View Post
Thought for sure, DW and I were slated for the class of 2011. But, best laid plans were dealt a blow by the realities of realty. Had everything lined up, then put the house on the market in May...thinking it would sell by end of summer, and we'd be on our way.

The good news - escrow just closed. The bad news - we got beat up on price worse than expected.

So, we're in a rental now on a 6 month lease, working a while longer to fill the piggy bank back up. Certainly not the end of the world, and on the bright side - the last major unknown has been removed from our plans, and we'll be joining the Class of 2012 on May 1.

The peace of mind is definitely worth it and it's amazing on what you can save in 7 months when you put your mind to it. Also, we all know how fast Nov and Dec go by with the holidays and May will be here very quickly.
mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #137
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
No, I wish it was that way. Our fiscal year ends Jan 31, and you have to be employed to get your bonus for the year, in mid April. It's terrible. I used up all my vacation time. Frustrating.

I will think hard about it. It's very stressful and not a hint of changing.

Thanks everyone!
Probably worth it for 15k, depending on what you have. Just be sure Aapril doesn't turn into, well how about Aug, etc.. I am preparing for that myself and being on a bonus system, it's easy to get caught up in another 6 months.
mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #138
Full time employment: Posting here.

May 2012 will be here soon.

Although, one groggy Monday morning I made the mistake of counting how many w*rking Mondays I have between now and the last day of school. It was 26. Wish I hadn't checked.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

I am still working, I seem to be able to make my peace right now. I like the money coming in. But I continue to take it day by day.

I have been working on scheduling lots of fun things to make myself feel better about this decision.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #140
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes
May 2012 will be here soon.

Although, one groggy Monday morning I made the mistake of counting how many w*rking Mondays I have between now and the last day of school. It was 26. Wish I hadn't checked.
That is SO manageable and worth smiling about. The other day I saw my assistant coach dressed up and remembered they were interviewing for my position. Weird, cool feeling.