Class of 2012

I give notice 4 months from today, will only give 2 weeks. I got out of the trip to Singapore and India. Just coasting now. I will have about 8 vacation days - using one to take a week in March to Tucson. Will use up the others here and there.

I increased my 401k and catch-up to the maximum so I put away as much of my salary and bonus as possible.

Well, last year the company that DH works for did offer a VLO; but the offload was toward the end of 2011, not the beginning of 2012 as we had anticipated, so DH did not take it. He needed to hit that magical age of 55 in 2012, so we can withdraw penalty free from our (his) 401K without restrictions from the government.

There are "rumors" that another VLO will be offered this year, so DH is sticking around for "a little while". If nothing comes of it by April or May, DH will give his notice.

I doubt that he'll be retiring any later than 7/1 unless a VLO is offered and the "dictated" offload date is later than that, so put us down for 7/1. :clap:

Turned in my "Letter of Intent" form today. Had thought it might be a sad moment. No, no, no. It felt GREAT!:dance:

This serves as my letter of resignation. Official and everything.:)

Turned in my "Letter of Intent" form today. Had thought it might be a sad moment. No, no, no. It felt GREAT!:dance:

Congratulations! I had some of the same concerns and I haven't regretted my decision for 1 millisecond.

I have a younger sister who has already been retired for a year now, and I admire the gusto with which she has approached retirement. She has been an inspiration and a font of wisdom.

I have difficulty in letting go at w*rk, I, with the help of some of the people I work with, pulled up the department by its bootstraps several years ago, and a year ago I resigned as the head of the department, believing that it was important that somebody else take over to smooth the transition. I stayed on as a consultant but at times find it difficult to keep my mouth shut when I perceive things going downhill - I just keep on muttering to myself "It is no longer your responsibility". It's difficult but I still believe that it was the correct decision.

Woo hoo! Congratulations.

OK, everyone say a little prayer for me. My company had a huge re-org and my division was sent off to a philanthropy/futures type division. The Q&A says basically that the program I manage will be discontinued.

I could be looking at a package!!!! OMG, how great would that be?!?

OK, everyone say a little prayer for me. My company had a huge re-org and my division was sent off to a philanthropy/futures type division. The Q&A says basically that the program I manage will be discontinued.

My megacorp had/has a "no package" policy for everyone except the very top few execs. In reality, I might have been tempted to hold out for a package instead of RE when I did, so at least I didn't have that as a decision factor.

That said, you've got my prayers for a package, but if it doesn't happen, don't let that delay your ER plans.

I gave notice this morning of my intention to leave at the end of February.

As I am a partner in a partnership, I am waiting for the powers-to-be to approve my withdrawal from the partnership. I am already on the Class of 2012 list.

When I let it be known I was retiring, a couple of my co-workers told me they were going to wait for a package. Six years later, I'm retired and they're still waiting. :cool:

65walkon
12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1 2/29/12
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 7/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
marylandcrab
Masquernom
Mexico 7/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee

Newcomers, please feel free to use the good old copy and paste method to join and to update the list.
Members, please correct my mistakes or update your arrival in ER land!

Happy journey and a great 2012!

Date added. 27 days and counting!

Last edited:
Added an entry for myself. 1 more week to go :)

Class of 2012
---------------

12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1 2/29/12
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 7/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
marylandcrab
Masquernom
Mexico 7/12
mh 2/10/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee

Newcomers, please feel free to use the good old copy and paste method to join and to update the list.

Added an entry for myself. 1 more week to go :)

Class of 2012
---------------

12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1 2/29/12
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 7/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
marylandcrab
Masquernom
Mexico 7/12
mh 2/10/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee

Class of 2012
---------------

12ridehd
aeross 60 1/31/12
amfox1 2/29/12
Aviator 9/1/12
Aruba50 4/12
Bellbarbara
Blackwoodt 09/28/12
BradMM
Chainsbegone 6/12
Cato 6/30/2012
Chris2008 7/12
Chuckanut 7/12
Da Nag 5/1/12
Dancingmama
DFW M5
fwest 2/27/12
Gary M
Grandlakeokie 4/1
Ksols 6/12
marylandcrab
Masquernom
Mexico 7/12
mh 2/10/12
o2chim2
Obgyn65
Ohyes 7/1/12
Palomalou 5/12
Pegcarddave 3/1/12
Piano88
Plattj 1
potto 0213
RootyToot 10/31
Scony
SJ1_
Traineeinvestor
Unallowable
Worker Bee

Just added myself.
Looking forward to it.

I like that sound "Class of 2012"

I gave my notice in early January with April 1st as my official "start" date. I still have reservations about the whole thing. I chose April Fool's Day because it appeals to my sense of humor.

Haha too funny.

Well, no layoffs here, I have to stick it out. Still planning on giving notice the day after my bonus check deposits. I will give only 2 weeks. Right now I am putting the max in my 401k (50%) so getting small paychecks. Happy to put what I can away.

I think my husband may retire at the same time after all. That would be perfect.

BellBarbara said:
Haha too funny.

Well, no layoffs here, I have to stick it out. Still planning on giving notice the day after my bonus check deposits. I will give only 2 weeks. Right now I am putting the max in my 401k (50%) so getting small paychecks. Happy to put what I can away.

I think my husband may retire at the same time after all. That would be perfect.

Same position here. Waiting until April when the bonus check clears and company stock vests. The next day, I am giving my notice!

Just passed another milestone on the way to ER. In order to ER and get a pension and be able to buy into the group insurance plan (more important to me than the monthly pension check at this time) I needed 20 years of service. I just passed that milestone a few days ago! So, I can actually retire and not just talk about it! I will, of course, honor my contract and continue to teach through the end of the school year. To do otherwise would not be fair to the school system or my students. l

I will, of course, honor my contract and continue to teach through the end of the school year. To do otherwise would not be fair to the school system or my students. l
:clap::clap: I like it

Same position here. Waiting until April when the bonus check clears and company stock vests. The next day, I am giving my notice!

I have options that vest just before the bonus also. Maybe about 10K worth. So all in all, worth it to wait for the 25K coming in April, no matter how much I HATE my job and manager.

Just passed another milestone on the way to ER. In order to ER and get a pension and be able to buy into the group insurance plan (more important to me than the monthly pension check at this time) I needed 20 years of service. I just passed that milestone a few days ago! So, I can actually retire and not just talk about it! I will, of course, honor my contract and continue to teach through the end of the school year. To do otherwise would not be fair to the school system or my students. l

Woo hoo! Every milestone is so important.

I have options that vest just before the bonus also. Maybe about 10K worth. So all in all, worth it to wait for the 25K coming in April, no matter how much I HATE my job and manager.

Just keep thinking of the retirement and the extra 25k, then smile a little even if it makes you look like an ignorant simpleton. I find that a great way to deal with the negative aspects of the job.

Yes, I keep telling myself a lot of the fall out of these hair-brained ideas will not happen until after I am gone. It is the only thing that keeps me sane.

The funny thing is, I work for a great company, totally love it, I am just in a really poorly led and managed team, starting with my manager who always seems to be on the edge of being fired, then some new manager comes in above him, and they thinks he's great.

Taking my chances in 2012 myself, Eligible for a pension in August. Work for the state of Illinois and as you may know, Illinois is broke, wanting to change the pension plans for current state employees. I will go talk to retirement next month, but as of now I think I will retire 07/31/2012 after 32 years before they change the rules.

Back
Top Bottom