Join Early Retirement Today

Class of 2012
Old 02-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Class of 2012

There is a class of 2011 and of 2013, but 2012 is missing so far.

In 2012 DH will start receiving his pension as former teacher, at age 60.
Long time ago we have decided that I will join him in ER, then age 53.
We keep track of our expenses, have payed off our house and saved enough to make it happen (and then some for fun...).

Anyone else?
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

YAY Class of 2012!!!! So happy you started a thread for us! I have been watching for one.

DH, a teacher, is retiring this June so he will be in Class of 2011, but he only visits baseball forums. His pension checks begin in July 2011.

My plans are to retire in June 2012. I am a school librarian.

Sometimes I have slight misgivings about retiring, but there have just been too many signs that it is the right thing to do. I will not allow myself to change my mind about that 2012 date.

We are in Arkansas.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #3

I'm officially in the Class of 2013 (January 2013) but...if I get an early-out offer in 2012, there's a very good chance I'll jump on it. And I believe there's maybe a 50-50 chance of it being offered. If that happens, I'll be sure to jump ship to the Class of 2012 thread.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Sometimes I have slight misgivings about retiring, but there have just been too many signs that it is the right thing to do. I will not allow myself to change my mind about that 2012 date.

We are in Arkansas.
Yeah! Class of 2012, with 568 more days to go! No misgivings, no second thoughts! I've been at this j*b for 25+ years, and working since the age of 15. I'm ready to sleep late, travel more, catch the matinee movies, and early bird dinners!

DH w*rks, or should I say piddles from home, makes enough to pay for our toys. He will start drawing a pension at 55 in 3 more years. Even though we would be fine if I retired today, I'm working until I turn 55 for my company's retiree health insurance.

What are you looking forward to in retirement, besides irritating your working friends?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My plan is to start winding down as of 1/1/2012. I'll be 62 and we should have plenty of money to live on. I'm hoping to work a deal where I can work 1/2 to 3/4 of what qualifies as full time, so I can keep health insurance, make a little money and help the people in my office. Full time is around 46 or so weeks a year, when you take into consideration holidays and vacations. That's 225 days a year. 1/2 would be 112 days, or 22 to 23 weeks a year, spread out over the whole year. If I like it, I'll do it another year. If I don't like it, I won't.

What am I looking forward to? Lots. Weekends aren't long enough to do what needs to be done and what I want to get done. I have orchids that need better care, a vegetable garden in the winter, cycling, and taking care of an old car I have had for years. The car needs some TLC right now and I'm going to get it up to speed this year. What else? Sleeping more. Reading more. Spending more time with my wife at our house in the NC mountains from spring to fall. So I guess I'm looking forward to doing what I do now when I'm not at work, only a lot more of it.
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
What are you looking forward to in retirement, besides irritating your working friends?

I think that's the main thing for me....

Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
I'm ready to sleep late, travel more, catch the matinee movies, and early bird dinners!

I believe we're sharing the same brain! lol

Old 02-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

What amazes me is that just a couple years ago, retiring was not on my radar at all. I planned to w*rk another ten years. One evening at a school function, the husband of one my library volunteers told me how much he liked retirement and how he wished he had retired 2-3 years earlier. He said he hoped I didn't stay too focused on money when retiring was so great. At the time, i figured that was because he was a high school principal - i don't have that kind of work stress at all. Well, before too long, these "signs" kept coming along and the more i thought about retirement and how cool it would be, the better and better it sounded until it was about ALL i thought about. ...and, i am one of those folks who really likes my job. But, i have been doing this for 30 years and somebody younger and hipper can come in and do much more than I am. I'm not coasting exactly (just sorta), but the vim and vigor and excitement is not there anymore.

DH and i hope to travel as much as off-season, cheaper rates will allow us. We want to get involved in prison ministry. I hope to read more books, get more exercise, including zumba and yoga (both of which i enjoy quite a bit), learn to play the guitar, garden more, grow herbs, go crystal hunting one time, volunteer (I was a hospice volunteer for years but gave that up a few months ago because i was too lazy to go get the required yearly TB test), visit my parents and brother more, cook healthier meals and cut processed stuff out of our diets. That's all i can remember right now, but i have lists in a notebook somewhere around here. (Another reason to retire - i lose stuff!!!!--today i sat down to do our taxes and cannot find my W-2!). Once i retire, all my memory surely will come back.

During this next year, DH has agreed to get our house ready to sell. We may move to Hot Springs Village, AR - maybe Massachusetts (his home state)...and we may rent in a really cool area of North Little Rock for a year while deciding between those two places....visiting them each a couple times to check out housing, etc. DH was really set on retiring to MA, but has been re-thinking that lately. (Two of our kids are down here; the third is planning a move to Maine this next August).
The NLR area is right next to the Arkansas Travelers baseball field - another idea from DH.

DH and i both teach and marvel at how much younger and rested our retired colleagues look when we see them a few months/years later. Add that to my list of things to do: look younger.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:46 AM   #9

Please count me in. Exit date : July 2012 at age 47.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Please count me in. Exit date : July 2012 at age 47.
Wow, you'll still be a baby in retiree years
Old 02-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #11

The time horizon I use for my ER planning is age = 95. Therefore 47 years is about half way there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Wow, you'll still be a baby in retiree years
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've set 1/13/12 as my FIRE date. The company gets it's funding from the State (Calif) and we have been warned that a 35% cut is coming this summer maybe. I don't know what will happen but I am so glad to be leaving...counting down the months.
JJPIES60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm all in! Class of 2012, 50 years young with 27 years active duty. DW and I can't wait.
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm in as well. July 1 2012. I also searched for a 2012 thread, so thanks for starting one. 31 years teaching, wife and I will be 53 at ER. Everyone asks, "what will you do"...whatever I want. I coach cross country and track and field so fall and spring were always very busy. Can't wait to see what travel is like that time of year.
Ksols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Count me in. May 2012, at 55 and 57.

We are counting the days. Looking forward to being bored.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

First day of retirement is May 1, 2012 for me. Can't wait. Right now the plan is to take a full year to catch up on all the things I've been putting on hold because of w***. Then, have some ideas I want to pursue that could lead to a small income while maintaining my Freedom status.
unallowable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #17

I can go in 2012 if I think that I have enough.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I believe we're sharing the same brain! lol
The weekends are just way too short to get anything done. I think the week after I retire I'll just start calling my old working buds, just to ask them what day of the week it is! It certainly doesn't take much to entertain me!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Count me in:

25 years with same company, early out in June @ 55.

Been working on it since the early 90's....
plattj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I will be able to join the Class of 2012. Yeah!
My actual RE has more to do with FI than the date. But if the market gains 6% more this year, I will have reached my goal of a FIRE Calc portfolio that is 95% "safe" based on my chosen parameters.
Today is really the first time that I have begun to get "serious" about an actual date. It is scary! All has been fine for the past several years as I have worked toward the goal. I check the numbers every day. I check this forum every day. I tolerate mind numbing meetings and a rising tide of corporat BS. But now the theory is starting to crystalize into reality. It is exciting!
It seams that being this close, I have the flexibility to walk off from a toxic work environment if I choose. That makes it easier to tolerate Megacorp. Still, I know that I will not (and do not want to) "hold on" for more financial security past 2012.
This is kind of a revelation to me.
I can hardly wait to join y'all on the other side.
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote